Distributor Issue

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Distributor Issue  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Dizzy

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Car: 1966 Coupe GT
Distributor Issue
« on: March 07, 2021, 08:15:58 pm »
Hi. My mechanic said the vacuum advance was not functioning properly in the Chinese made Bosch knock off distributor on my 66 GT and the whole unit should be rebuilt. Engine is the original 289 but had an upgrade several years back to gt350 specs, runs a Holley 600 and MSD coil

Should I replace the unit with a full electronic distributor instead of the points version and what brands do I look for or avoid?

Cheers

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Re: Distributor Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 08:26:58 am »
Hey Dizzy,
Give Michael at ICE Ignition at,
Ice Ignition. Australian Head Office. 03 9532 6000.
He will set you up with something nice!
Cheers Phil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline Reborn67

• Worked
  • Name: Andrew
  • Car: 67 Hardtop
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 12:40:10 pm »
 The Ice Ignition is good gear but it doesn't come cheap, expect to pay around $1500 for new Dissy, Coil, Control Box and Lead Set...,

Offline FB.65.68.70

• Stallion
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 06:35:25 pm »
Aussie phil is correct, ICE ignition , if you want the best thats the system and its price competitive if you compare it to a full MSD system with box and leads .
But if you just want a reliable distributor without the extra punch of a hotter spark get a 'ready to run' msd dizzy and coil.
You can setup the advance curve that best suits your engine with the springs and bushes in the msd distributor kit  whereas the ice ignition is controlled by dip switches on the box.
 Personally I think the ICE ignition is worth the expense , they are extremely reliable and accurate ignition systems.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:43:00 pm by FB.65.68.70 »

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 03:25:36 pm »
you don't need to run a vacuum advance its only functions when cruising advancing timing for fuel efficiency.

does anyone remember laughter

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 12:13:37 pm »
you don't need to run a vacuum advance its only functions when cruising advancing timing for fuel efficiency.

This.

If your mechanical advance is working properly, you can simply disconnect the vacuum advance if there is no in and out play in the rod on the vacuum advance unit. You should also be able to buy a new vacuum advance unit for it. If you post a photo of the distributor, we can possibly tell which vacuum unit it is and give you the part number for one from a regular auto parts store.