York Compressor leaking

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: York Compressor leaking  (Read 2189 times)

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
  • Car: 1970 Mach1
York Compressor leaking
« on: March 01, 2021, 12:52:51 pm »
Well I have almost given up on my York compressor leaking. I had a replacement installed a few years ago (to keep the original look) but the thing started leaking not long after warranty ran out. I had it back in the the seal replaced but had slight leaking after a period again and now it is annoying the crap out of me.
Pulled the compressor and removed the seal, the shaft has surface rust in a few places and obviously killing the seal. I took it to a cooling/radiator shop and they said 'York style just leak, if not from the seal then from gaskets here and here...) - recommended replacement by Sanden which seems like a common strategy.
But couple of questions,
1. I have read the York compressor seals tend to leak if not run often - obviously a problem with a weekend warrior in Melb!
2. Why would the shaft rust so quickly- obviously was the problem initially and the AC guy must have just changed the seal and cleaned it up?
3. Do Sanden comps have the same issues if not run regularly? If not is that due to design or better components?

cheers in advance!

Offline GEOFF289

• Blue Printed
Re: York Compressor leaking
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 05:45:06 pm »
I'm no expert but that's what I've always understood, they leak.

It used to be conventional wisdom that you should run your aircon at least weekly so seals didn't dry out. I don't know if that's still necessary. I have a Sanden compressor in my '66 and haven't ever had a leak and it certainly often goes a long time without being turned on.

Apart from anything else, the rotary Sandens are just way ore efficient than the piston Yorks.

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 01:06:05 pm »
Neither of those compressors leaked when they were new, and took a decade before they started leaking. If you have a rebuilt one that leaks, it is because they did a crappy rebuild.

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 04:03:00 pm »
Thanks Barnett,

What I don't understand is the York was new when i had it installed 10 years ago. It leaked within 2 years and possibly within 12 months. It was just out of warranty when I had the seal replaced the first time, and has leaking periodically since then.
It got worse and so now I have stripped it down and removed the seal, the shaft has rust pitting and has caused damage to the seal!

I can't understand this in  sealed unit, perhaps the quality of steel used is not as good as earlier?

Anyway, looking at options, wondering if anyone has tried or got thoughts on me installing a Speedi Sleeve on the shaft and trying that for a couple of years or longer if successful?

Offline barnett468

• Cobra
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 01:14:23 pm »
Thanks Barnett,

What I don't understand is the York was new when i had it installed 10 years ago. It leaked within 2 years and possibly within 12 months. It was just out of warranty when I had the seal replaced the first time, and has leaking periodically since then.
It got worse and so now I have stripped it down and removed the seal, the shaft has rust pitting and has caused damage to the seal!

I can't understand this in  sealed unit, perhaps the quality of steel used is not as good as earlier?

Anyway, looking at options, wondering if anyone has tried or got thoughts on me installing a Speedi Sleeve on the shaft and trying that for a couple of years or longer if successful?

Ah, I see, yes the new ones that are available now are not quite the same as the new ones in the 60's, but that shaft had to be rusty when they boxed the compressor up or you have moisture in your system.

Offline motiv

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 04:34:08 pm »
I put a Speedi- Sleeve on my York compressor about 4 years ago, so far it hasn't leaked. I also put some gasket cement on the shaft before installing the sleeve. Being stainless steel the sleeve won't give you any rusting issues on the seal surface.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 05:49:49 pm by motiv »

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 08:22:34 pm »
awesome, that's great to know. I have purchased one and the seal kit so will attempt it next week. I assume loctite red will do the same as the gasket cement so hopefully have a similar outcome.

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 03:43:50 pm »
I changed the seal in my York 10 years ago didn't have rust on the shaft and remember a carbon seal which did the sealing it wasn't like a normal oil seal. I think you will find the seal you are looking at is just a dust seal and a carbon seal behind. I use Loctite aviation sealant on the gasket and before installing back into the car pressure tested to 130 PSI in a bucket of water. A new seal will leak a bit till the mating surface mates perfectly. I had to re-gas the system a couple years ago but the leak wasn't from the compressor. 
does anyone remember laughter

Offline seany-boy

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 05:42:54 pm »
Yeah, the new carbon faced thingo come in the seal kit. No longer a gasket but a rubber o ring . Cleaned up the shaft with 400 and 800 grit. Banged on the CD speedi sleeve so fingers crossed once i get it installed.

Offline pmb0186

• Thoroughbred
  • I'm new here
  • Name: PETE
  • Car: 66 MUSTANG
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 01:50:46 pm »
If you wish to save a couple dollars for around $100.00 you can buy a vacuum pump and few more for a gauge and vacuum it down yourself once if it holds a vacuum worth getting gassed or gas it yourself.
does anyone remember laughter