Indicators

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Indicators  (Read 1832 times)

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
Indicators
« on: February 22, 2021, 10:12:02 am »
Could someone check my logic for me please? Went for a drive Saturday and on turning right I got beeped by a car coming through the other way.

Turns out my front right indicator wasn't working (not sure about the back one). The front left one was working as I could see the reflection in the car in front and both the green triangles on the dash were functioning as normal. I stopped and took the front left bulb out and it looked ok but I swapped it with front left to check. At this point all indicators including the green triangles went dead. Checked the fuse and flasher, both fine. Pulled the steering wheel off and confirmed power is getting to the blue power in feed. Pulled the dash out and when I apply power the indicators light up. At lunchtime I'll run power from the flasher to the indicator feeds although I feel like that's going to work fine. Next step will be to pull the turn signal switch off the steering column, look for faults and run power from the blue wire around to the wires that feeds the indicators.

Assuming that works can anyone see any possibility that it's something other than the turn signal switch that's the problem?  It's a relatively new repro switch but I can't see any other possibility. Thoughts? Anyone has a repro turn signal switch go bad?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:18:59 am by skev »
67 Convertible

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
Re: Indicators
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 11:12:46 am »
Cheers
 I took the bulbs out and swapped them but now all indicators won't work from the turn signal switch
 There is power into the switch but not out. The bulbs work because I can run power into them at the dash plug.
67 Convertible

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 11:41:18 am »
I'm trying to avoid confirmation bias but I took the turn signal switch off and ran a wire from the blue feed on the front to the appropriate wire in the back and it makes the indicator work. So, despite appearing fine I think it must be the switch. I'll conduct a post mortem at some stage..
67 Convertible

Offline AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 12:47:44 pm »
Hey, give everything a spray with WD40, I reckon you may have a contact problem! Check earths!
Cheers Phil.
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 01:05:14 pm »
Hey, give everything a spray with WD40, I reckon you may have a contact problem! Check earths!
Cheers Phil.

Cheers Phil, I'll give it a try although it is both sides.
67 Convertible

Offline skev

• Blue Printed
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 01:22:22 pm »
Cheers Phil, I'll give it a try although it is both sides.

Tried contact cleaner, there is no power going from the front of that switch to the back. If I run a wire from from to back it works so there's definitely a conectivity issue inside the switch

67 Convertible