Engine code

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Engine code  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Chris66pny

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Chris
  • Car: 66 Mustang
Engine code
« on: February 02, 2021, 08:59:36 pm »
Hi all,

I have a clients car that has the following code cast in the motor D2AE CA 1701. Just wondering is anyone could shed some light in the origins of this engine? Been told it's a mustang block but it's definitely not in a mustang.

Thanks in advance.

Offline sms777

• Worked
Re: Engine code
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 11:38:00 pm »
Quick google search tells me it's a 351 Cleveland of 1971-74 4 bolt mains high output Cobra Jet or Boss engine. 

Offline Chris66pny

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 10:38:09 am »
That's what I found also. But........here's the full story.

The engine is in a 1981 Fairlane LTD, the engine has the above casting mark but is also stamped with a vin number matching the chassis which has the Geelong factory reference (stamped on the left front hand side of motor next to water pump). Trying to figure out if the engine was a replacement or came from factory like this? Why would they use a motor from 72 motor in an 81 car?

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 11:27:20 am »
Is it a black engine ? , electronic dizzy? , dizzy shaft size ? And what heads ? . A lot of 79-82 Aussie 351c had 4 bolt mains as ford was getting rid of all the old stock 351c engines . 

Offline Chris66pny

• Stallion
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 11:36:54 am »
Its a black engine, unsure about the rest, will be pulling the engine in the coming week to go over everything and have it rebuilt, ill get more info then. Id heard they used old blocks but unsure on the truth to this, looking more and more likely!

Offline sms777

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 12:09:14 am »
Sounds like it's the original '72 American engine got replaced at one stage which originally had the engine number stamped at the back of the block just below the left cylinder head. To satisfy  our rego requirements they could have simply just bang the VIN on the block near the waterpump which is the correct location for an Aussie Cleveland. It is acceptable in most states.