Getting my head around inspections

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Getting my head around inspections  (Read 2393 times)

Offline kylet

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
Getting my head around inspections
« on: April 15, 2021, 07:43:58 am »
Hi All

I currently live in Los Angeles and am looking to buy a project car that I will eventually import back to Western Australia.

I plan "RestoMod" it with things such as front disc brakes, 3 point seat belt, modified 289 engine (carb, head, headers, etc.) ididit steering column, bigger wheel/tyres, and so on. I have a pretty big list of things I'd love to do.... and then I remembered Australia's strict requirements...

What are the things I should look out for with mods and is there anything I should avoid? I'm assuming I'm going to need an engineer to take a look at everything before I can get it registered.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
Re: Getting my head around inspections
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 07:51:28 am »
Which state are you planning to return to?

The rules are all different.

Online Aussie-67

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Tony
  • Car: 67 Mustang Coupe
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 12:41:42 pm »
This might help.  WA mod laws are starting to go back to the days when they made everything too hard. 

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/modify-or-construct-a-vehicle.asp

Offline Megzee67

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Michael
  • Car: 1967 Mustang Coupe
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 01:10:26 pm »
Great link from Tony
This one may also provide some extra reading pleasure.
https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pre1989scheme.aspx
Most people don't listen with the intent to understand
They listen with the intent to reply.

Offline kylet

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 03:28:03 pm »
Which state are you planning to return to?

The rules are all different.

Western Australia

This might help.  WA mod laws are starting to go back to the days when they made everything too hard. 

https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/modify-or-construct-a-vehicle.asp

Thank you. Looks like the car I will be importing will tick multiple categories of complex mod :(. When I move home in 2-3 years I will be looking for a good engineer...

Get it checked for asbestos and make sure any you find - and it's probably highly likely you will - is completely removed and the car is certified as such. Be it in brake linings, gaskets, underseal or whatever. It's illegal to import asbestos in any form.
Also - make sure you obtain an Import Approval before you ship your car.

Will do. I found a place in Los Angeles that spun up to do these checks for Aussie imports. The car I have is undergoing a complete restoration, so I highly doubt there will be any asbestos (new brakes, engine/trans rebuilt, etc.) but since I don't want to pay for bureaucracy at the docks I will get the inspection done pre shipping.

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 04:46:08 pm »
some areas that have tested positive (in the past, and it's hearsay) are things like the original body seam sealer, headlining - things that might not get changed.
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 09:50:39 am »

For WA - might be worth having a chat with Wayne @ America West (https://www.facebook.com/americawest66/), they bought in my 65 FB from LA with no issues, is well connected in the classic car scene and have containers coming across every couple of months

For the mods - seatbelts should be fine (will need Eng cert), brakes might be a bit hit/miss (dust boots etc) I have large 4 pot TBS's and pretty sure they won't pass but original looking 4 pots (KHs) would be fine (Willwoods etc with Enf cert). Wheels, there are rules around maximum variance from originals - no issues with nice 15's and I have seen people running 17's (not my taste). All that said, when I ran my 66 over the pits it was just a cursory look at best, straight through (and that was with red indicators, US style in the rear)

Summary - unless you are going super crazy, its not that hard (and a new concession scheme in place now for modded vehicles, does not avoid stamp duty but discount on rego)

As others have said - #1 is your import approval and make sure you have some sort of Asbestos certification - good luck

cheers

greg