72 Mustang Mach 1 - add black bonnet?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 72 Mustang Mach 1 - add black bonnet?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline bdennis

• Pony
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Brendan John
  • Car: 72 Mach 1 Sports Roof.
72 Mustang Mach 1 - add black bonnet?
« on: April 02, 2021, 08:42:24 pm »
Hey guys,
I have just bought myself a 1972 Mach 1 sports roof Mustang in Gold Glow.
Its a stock as they come and is a H code, so has a 351 2v auto.
It has the bonnet scoops per standard Mach 1.
I'm looking at getting a large decal / sticker for the bonnet to give it a 72 black out bonnet.
I don't want to paint the bonnet just in case I want to change it back or some day.

Has any one done this? Any pit falls?
Any suggestions as to who in Melbourne could make and install a sticker / decal?
Any idea on cost?

Online AussiePhil

• Worked
  • Name: Phil
  • Car: 68 Coupe
Re: 72 Mustang Mach 1 - add black bonnet?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 02:30:56 am »
Hey Brendan!
Nice car, you can get the bonnet wrapped! Any auto sign company can handle it!
Maybe others on the forum can suggest someone near you!

An interesting web site for you is MustangAttitude.com
Cheers Phil.

UPDATE,
Don't do any work on your car till you get better advice on Concourse condition, see your other post!
Concourse judges may love this car as is!!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 03:10:06 am by AussiePhil »
If you've never buggered anything you've never done anything!
But if you've buggered a lot maybe you're not very good at it!

Two for one is good but four for two is better!

Offline 188 LVU

• Stallion
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 11:05:29 am »
If you want to get it correct, look on the 7173mustangs.com website for how so many people spend so much money and get it so wrong.
From what I see on this site, there may still not be a decal for the hood / bonnet, just various dimensions ( many of which are wrong )  The side stripes are not so much of a problem other than lack of suppliers in Aust.  If you can find a car with the correct side stripes, yes, a good sticker company may be able to match them but the decal kits are available ex USA.

I have recently been down this trail with a '73 Mach 1 which is different in appearance but the principles are the same.
Good luck.
PKJ

Offline robster

• Worked
  • Big Mac
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 12:33:44 pm »
What a great find.  Note the black out Mach 1 bonnet treatment was optional for all 1971 through to 1973 Mustangs so yours is as original as they come.  Being so original with a perfect color like Gold Glow is a unique find so personally I'd leave it as is  but again that's a personal preference.  If you wish to add the black out bonnet, do it the proper Mach 1 partial black out spec way and not the 1971 Boss 351 total blacked out bonnet, it will look way non original but some of the odd long nose Mustang owners have gone that route. Mine is painted on, not sure if you can get a decal.  I know you can get a stencil for the right look but that's to mask surrounding areas for a paint job. If you like, give Troy Fava a call at Western Smash Repairs as he knows these cars inside out and in fact painted my bonnet as per factory spec (originally it was a full gloss but we settled on the low gloss factory black look) and he's not far from you.  Neither am I if you wish to see my bonnet black out look up close so PM me and would be glad to help.

Offline bdennis

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 05:08:42 pm »
Guys,
Thanks for the info..
If I do go for the black bonnet, then it would be the partial type not the full square version like the early ones. It would also need to be the right measurements and not a guess.
I think a wrap or decal would be the way to go, then it can be taken back to stock if I changed my mind. Thanks for the tip re Troy Fava.

The side stripes on the car are ok but really need replacing. It has had 1 closed door paint job at some point in its life. So the stickers on it are not factory but can still see the remnants of the factory ones in the door jams.

I was not planning on entering the car in shows to be judged, my plan is to get it roadworthy and safe to drive and will be a #drivennothidden car.
So am thinking front disk brakes.. (per my other post in the to 73 technical section)

Under the bonnet it is a bit sad looking but stock as a rock with all the pollution vacuum pipes etc still on it (as far as I can tell). Front seats and rear seats are great, dash is mint, just the rear plastics are a bit pitted.

As I need to get a VASS for it as it is a post '68 import, Im keen to understand what needs to be changed. I have heard seatbelts but am keen to maintain the factory ones as they seem to be unique and nothing like I have seen before. ie, the shoulder belt clips on to the lap buckle. Would be interested to talk to a 71-73 expert re the car if there is someone in the club.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Brendan.

Online AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 05:18:05 pm »
Hey Brendan,
Get a Marti report at MartiAutoWorks.com, go for the works with window stickers report.
That will give you the original build, everything as delivered!
I got mine e mailed in a matter of days!
I think you need a full Marti report to be judged Concourse!
They are well worth the money!
Cheers Phil.

Offline 188 LVU

• Stallion
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 05:38:28 pm »
Talk to other owners within the Melbourne Mustang owners group.  They will fill you in on what needs to be done for the VASS compliance. 
Your comments about the right measurements, not a guess, is why I suggested the 7173 site.  You can read info without being a member but it is free to join and well worth it.   Without being over picky, be aware that to have the black hood / bonnet factory option, you also got the twist-locks that hold it down.  These just tend to finish it off.  Your car, your call.
Have fun.

Offline bdennis

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 07:30:53 pm »
Phil,
I have been looking at the Marti report and started to fill in the request but when I put in my address, they want to charge $36US to post the report (I assume). I emailed them to ask if it can just be emailed to avoid the high postage cost and have not received a reply.
I just thinking to get the standard and the Personalised statistics report. The Elite is a bit expensive and they are quoting 4 months turn around per their web page. I just checked again and I did not tick the fax or post boxes and the page still comes up with a cost of $36USD for the report.
I just did some checking and it seems that if I add either the Elite or Personalised stats report their system auto adds postage.. Not sure why. Will email them again.

As for the black hood, I have seen a number that don't have the bonnet locks and I'm keen to avoid drilling holes. So will just think about the black for now.
Thanks for the info re the 7173 site.

I'm yet to decide how "original" I want to keep it. Have played that game before with GT Falcons (in the 90's). So once I understand what I have.. Then I can decide what to do.

I appreciate the tips.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:36:04 pm by bdennis »

Online AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 08:21:47 pm »
Hey Brendan,
Mine is far from stock so I just wanted the deluxe report for $55.00 which was e mailed and door tag that is being posted!
The Elite report is larger and on a blue card, that's why there's post!
If you not going do it up to Concourse the Elite is all you need!
Cheers Phil.

Offline bdennis

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 08:29:16 pm »
Phil,
Thanks. Have ordered a standard for now to see what it came with.

The carby tag, engine tag and the body buck tag are still on the car. I don't know if the axle tag is there, need to get under and have a look.

Offline Alvin71

• L Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Paul
  • Car: 71 Mach1
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 07:41:55 pm »
Hey Brendan
I received my Marty report early last year. Be patient is all I can say. It took a good while to get the email with details etc but took
at least 6 months to get the door tag.
My understanding is they have a high demand and are waay behind.
Good luck.

Offline bdennis

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 09:42:22 pm »
Alvin71,
Thanks for the update. Will be patient for the report..
I have not ordered a door tag as the one on the car is in great condition.

Online AussiePhil

• Worked
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 05:11:16 am »
Hey Brendan,
I ordered an Elite report and door tag on the 22nd March and received the report on 26th March and the tag was sent on the 31st March on First Class International freight.
I received excellent service!
Don't change your door tag anyway, it's worth far more than a reproduction!
I ordered a door tag because it didn't have one!
As a matter of interest I thought my car was originally Tahoe Turquoise, but it was Wimbledon White and sold by the largest Ford dealer in the world, Galpin Motors!
Cheers Phil.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 05:18:11 am by AussiePhil »

Offline bdennis

• Pony
  • I'm new here
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 07:31:20 am »
Phil,
Thanks for the info and agree re the door tag.
Overnight I received a email from Marti Auto works suggesting that they will most likely have a copy of the original ford invoice for the car. So may consider one of those also.
I'm told that my car is a 1 owner car and that there is a bunch of paper work on its way from the US. So will wait and see what comes and then plan the next step from a paper work point of view.