'67 Mustang advice _ Newbie

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: '67 Mustang advice _ Newbie  (Read 2002 times)

Offline Tacrex

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Darren
'67 Mustang advice _ Newbie
« on: March 09, 2021, 12:31:23 am »
Hi Guys,
I am a newbie to the world of Mustangs.  I have always loved them and now in a position to get one for myself.

I am looking at buying a Mustang, with the intention of a project, but not too large a project.  I have located a 67 coupe, which for it's age appears to look ok in photos.  I haven't had the chance to see it yet in person, just photos and video of it cold starting ATM.

As a newbie to this, I am after any advice I can get.  Suggestions of persons that can assist or offers to assist with checking it out when I get the opportunity.

It's an unlicensed import, 302 Windsor, that has been worked.  I am in the process of getting some finer details from the owner.  So suggestions of questions to ask would also be appreciated.  He has declared some rust spots with pics also, are there common areas I should be aware of.

Also, what are the traps to be aware of when licensing an import in WA.

Thanks in advance.
Darren

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
Re: '67 Mustang advice _ Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 12:44:42 am »
Hi Darren, is there an online ad with pics for this car? You can start to share it here, some advice will come straight away.
As you are a newbie, I recommend to buy an already licensed car with no rust at least, maybe with some minor defects in aesthetic or mechanics, so you can work on them.
Where is the car?
Regarding rust spots also depends how big they are...
fred

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 07:54:26 am »
Most important, if the car hasn't been registered in Australia yet ... make sure it has import approval.

Offline gbader

• Worked
  • SAAC Member
  • Name: Greg
  • Car: 65/66/16
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 10:54:08 am »
Most important, if the car hasn't been registered in Australia yet ... make sure it has import approval.

Very important - the actual rego process is quite straight forward, paperwork, and for inspection just make sure everything works and no leaks etc (rust could be an issue if its structural or very bad)

Next month in WA the new concessional license scheme starts (CSC) - so that will give you 3 choices, the original 404 scheme, the new CSC and of course standard (full rego) - the first two are slightly different but do represent a fair saving on full rego but you will need to be part of a registered club to take advantage (MOCWA is one of these) and they do have some conditions that depending on your planned usage might be restrictive or not. Some info here, https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/concessions.asp

cheers

Offline fredm666

• Worked
  • hoping for the best but expecting the worst
  • Name: federico
  • Car: 64.5 D-code - 55 Cusso
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 11:53:47 am »

This is a very good point!
fred

Offline Tacrex

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 12:31:42 pm »
Thanks guys for your info.  Can you recommend someone to give it the once over to ensure I don't miss anything important.

I have ok mechanical knowledge, but not all over the compliance stuff.

Will definitely ask for the authority to import before I go any further.

Cheers again

Offline Dwayne

• Blue Printed
  • Name: Dwayne
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 12:40:01 pm »
Thanks guys for your info.  Can you recommend someone to give it the once over to ensure I don't miss anything important.

Which state is the car currently in?  No point in me telling you an SA based guy if the car is sitting in Qld.

Offline Tacrex

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 12:54:09 pm »
Sorry, my bad.

Perth

Offline Tacrex

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 02:14:31 pm »
Thnks for your help. Appears car no longer available.

Cheers for your input tho.

Will keep in mind for future.