Water Leak Near Rear Wheels After Rain

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Water Leak Near Rear Wheels After Rain  (Read 3403 times)

Offline Peter Delaney

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 2018 Mustang GT V8
Water Leak Near Rear Wheels After Rain
« on: May 05, 2021, 08:01:22 pm »
After driving my 2018 GT in the rain & parking it the garage, huge pools of water form around the rear wheels on the floor over 30 minutes or so.  It seems like water is accumulating rapidly  in some sort of void / plenum, & then draining out out slowly - the drips are falling from the front of the rear inner guards.

Anyone got any ideas about where this water is being stored, & how to drain it more quickly ?

Offline Peter Delaney

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
Re: Water Leak Near Rear Wheels After Rain
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 07:01:03 pm »
Update - After driving in light rain for 20kms today, I slid containers under the front & back of the inner guards of the rear wheel arches & after an hour, I had a total of 600 mls - spread evenly among the 4 containers.  That volume of water makes for huge puddles on the garage floor !!

Is it just me, or does anyone else have this problem ?

Thanks,  Peter D.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 07:47:06 pm »
It might pay you to ask the same question on some S550 groups .

Offline Peter Delaney

• P Plates
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 07:00:58 pm »
Thanks Glenn - I have had a look through lots of S550 posts relating to water leaks, & am now starting to feel lucky !!  All the ones I have found so far refer to leaks INTO the car - trunk / rear floor / front floor !!!    I'll keep looking :)

I eliminated the run-off from the rear window as a culprit today - litres of water pored over it, & it all goes into the plenum outside the trunk weather seal, & runs freely out from under the tail light assemblies - nothing drops from the bottom edges of the inner guards.

I am beginning to think that it relates to a problem with the sealing of the inner guards - water is thrown around by those big tyres, & is settling into voids behind the inner guard pieces, then slowly draining out where it can.  So maybe Sikkaflex over all the seams of the inner guard panels ??

Thanks Mate !

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 02:27:12 pm »
Have you tried running water down the rear side windows, make sure it's not collecting in the quarter panels?
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)