Getting a 66 registered in Brisbane???

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Getting a 66 registered in Brisbane???  (Read 7902 times)

Offline kiz

• P Plates
« on: January 08, 2007, 07:42:07 pm »
I am waiting for my 66 coupe to clear customs and then i want to get it roadworthy and complianced for full rego in QLD.

Does anyone have any recommendations on who i should use to get the work done?

Also, do i have to have 3 point belts installed?  I was really hoping I didn't need to, but so far have been told otherwise : (

Any advice and input is greatly appreciated!!!!

Regards
Kieran

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:55:02 pm »
Give Phil a call at Car-Pliance, where in Brissie are you at??

Offline kiz

• P Plates
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:02:59 pm »
I live on the northside, Newmarket.

Offline FST68

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 08:17:10 pm »
Kieran,
the registration and compliance is quite a simple process to go through, there are a few guys around that can do it for you.

The road worthy is noting special as any old mechanic can do it.

The compliance required is an L02 compliace, which is a safty compliance. All that is required is the installation of new australian standard seat belts, side intrusion bars and alterations to lights. this is all.
if you are handy you can do it all yourself and get an engineer to sign it off, or you can do it the easy way as most people do. Get the engineer that signs it off to do the work.

As far as im aware you are requied to install 3 point retractable seatbelts.

if your after a list of the engineers that can approve the modification I would suggest ringing queensland transport and requesting the list. remember only ask for the list that does Lo2 otherwise you will get a list of every regesterd motor mechanic around that does compliancing, and beleve me tha is a big list.

If you get one of these guys to do your mods as well as the compliancing (mod plate) they should charge anything from $800 to $2500. There are cheaper guys around, but as usual you only get what you pay for.

Before you start any of this make sure you have all engine and vin numbers, if you don't have any one of these book your car into see a senior detective with cib police, they will need to inspect the car and authorise the issuing of a surrogate vin. this process can be quite time consuming.

we there it is I hope your registration process is easier than mine was

cheers

Adam

Good luck and happy mustanging

Offline kiz

• P Plates
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:05:13 pm »
Thanks for your reply Adam.  California image at Narangba quoted me $1200 to have the work done... I'm hoping to get away with it for under $1000.

Offline FST68

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:50:05 pm »
Keiran,

I used a Automech at underwood to do my compliance about 12months ago.

He charged around$600 to fit the seat belts and side intrusion bars, as well as doing the compliance.

I did the lights and wiring myself which cost around $100, most of this was the new head lights.

Cheers

Adam

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 07:42:11 pm »
Hi Adam, Why did you have to have side intrusion bars fitted, I had mine complied about a year ago, and didnt need them... Just wondering, I asked about the one I am bringing back now also, and was told exactly the same thing.. didnt need have this done.. and this was coming from QLD Transport..

Offline kiz

• P Plates
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:50:04 pm »
Hi again,

i have'nt been told to fit side intrusion bars either.  Gasoline alley at Brendale said they can do the work and compliance for 1100 providing that :[the car is roadworthy.

Where are you getting your LO2 done Brett?  

cheers
Kieran

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 08:07:21 pm »
Phil Harris did mine at Car-Pliance, and will do my next one also.. He had my car one day, it was complied,RWC and registered, and I drove it home the next day... all too easy..

Offline 66_Shelby GT350 Tribute

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 09:48:44 pm »
Several things need to be changed to meet the applicable ADR's for LO2 such as the following:

Front seatbelts to be 3 point retractable
Rear seatbelts (outside) to be 3 point lap/sash
Child retraint points to every rear seating position
Change headlights to dip to correct side
Change front & rear indicators to comply (check what the engineer wants)
Rear reflectors

The seatbelts will require new plates & welding, best bet is to work with an engineer who will certify LO2 and discuss what you have from the start to get it right, I know a guy in Ormeau who is good if this is close to you.

Left hand drive is no prob for 30+ year cars just a few basic items like side mirrors to both sides.

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 09:07:37 am »
Flameman, I did not have to change my indicator lenses nor fit rear reflectors..It seems that there is no conformity with compliance's around QLD.

Offline FST68

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 10:31:00 am »
Guys,

Im not sure exactly why the side intrusion bars were fitted, I never ask, it may just have been what the engineer I used required in order for him to sign It off at the time.

What he installed probably wouldn't do anything anyway, it was just a 12mm solid bar bolted to the inner skin of the door.

He also require all the light changes Flameman1 mentioned.
The original indicator lenses do not comply with Australian standards, all australian compliance lenses have spacific markings on them. For example the front head lights and indication lenses have to have an E on them to confirm they meet the standards. The rear one are different I can't remember what it was on them. As I mentioned they were not expensive, I bought the lot from the auto elec shop at the end of Moss Street for under $100.

As I have just had to go over the pits a QT again, they are know checking this sort of thing as defects. Fortunatly for Me after spending almost an hour on my car they only defected me for running a locked diff, good thing they didn't check what fuel I was running.

It should not matter if the car is roadworthy or not whan they do this compliance, but it doesn't really matter for you need a roadworth to register a car anyway.

Look the best thing to do is talk to a few guy that do the compliaceing then decide who you are happy with and just go with them.

Cheers

Adam

P.S. make sure they have insurances and are registered before leaving your car with them.

Offline shelbyclone

• Pony
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 12:17:01 pm »
So far no-one has mentioned fitting 4point harnesses,i live in N.Q. and have contacted an l02 engineer to see what his opinion was and he is quite happy to sign off harnesses.Qld tport now state that you can leave the blinkers flash red,got to change headlights,hopefully they wont change the rules again before i get my 67 on the road

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 07:04:55 am »
So what was the outcome Kiz? How did you get on, & what did you have to do to get your car complianced in QLD?

Offline kiz

• P Plates
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 09:50:47 am »
Gday all,

Was a little while ago, but this is what i had done...

1. Lap sash retractables in the front.
2. lap sash in the back and child restraint points installed.
3. Headlights changed to dip to the left.
4. Back up lights rewired and lenses changed to amber (indicators).
4. safety cert.
5. Lo2 compliance
6. Then just take your import papers, safety cert. and Lo2 into dept of transport.  

Oh... i think we restamped the engine block with a new number to make sure there would be no probs. last 5 or 6 numbers of the vin number.

Hope this helps...

Kieran

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 08:22:24 am »
Thanks for the feedback Kiz - much appreciated.
So the back-up lamps are now amber turn indicators? Very neat; who supplied the amber lenses? Were the front sidelights also changed to amber lenses, or just the bulbs?
I presume your '66 is a coupe, so lap/sash in back is fairly easy; but I have a fastback 2+2 with fold-down seat so am hoping that lap belts will suffice - can anyone with a fastback comment?
Again am not sure how a child restraint point could be installed to a fold-down seat.....
Any advice or feedback on the above from anyone out there would be most welcome, thanks.