weather stripping

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: weather stripping  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
weather stripping
« on: January 03, 2007, 02:33:29 pm »
I have to replace my convertible top weather strip and I have one ready to go.  Only thing is I haven't done this before and whilst it looks like an easy enough job I'm sure it isn't.  Has anyone had a go at this before, is there anything I should be aware of so I don't stuff it up!;)

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
weather stripping
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »
Not done mine yet so let me know how you go.
The new seals come with instructions copied straight from the shop manual and as you say it looks pretty straight forward.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
weather stripping
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:28:07 pm »
yeah, that is what worries me, to simple to be tru, I have a shop manual and the instructions so in theory.... I shouldn't go wrong but.... :_

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
weather stripping
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:49:31 pm »
If you need a hand or moral support, let me know.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
weather stripping
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 06:03:53 pm »
Thanks mate!:a

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
weather stripping
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 10:44:55 pm »
ok the new stip is fitted but it isnt all sweet....

There were some subtle differences between the old and new weather strips.  The old strip had an additional fixture point above the quarter panel window and was a continuous length of rubber from above the drivers window across the header and over the passenger window.

The new weather strip (Highway Classics brand) was not a continuous length of rubber.  It was glued at the each end of the header strip.  Because the header strip seemed to be too short the glue became unstuck as I stretched it to travel the full distance.

The old strip was a Scott Drake part (the uderstide was molded with the brand name) and it had better hardware to fix the strip in place as well.

Overall the Scott Drake weather strip is a much better product and the end result is that I have probably wasted the money I spent on the first strip as I will now have to source a Scott Drake replacement.:_

The job shouldnt take any longer than an hour and all you need is a phillips screw driver and a small socket or spanner.

Hope this helps all the early model convertible owners should you need to replace the convertible top rubber.
Cheers

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
weather stripping
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 10:23:33 am »
If you want tp re do it now, I have a Scott Drake kit sitting here. I wont need a replacement until I have painted the car.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
weather stripping
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 01:53:10 pm »
Thanks mate but chances are I wont be driving in the rain and I will order one soon.  From now on Im going to ask what brand the part is and if it isnt SD or recommended replacement Im not buying it!!:_