Import approval

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Import approval  (Read 6947 times)

Offline 68pony

• Worked
Import approval
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:46:02 am »
Hi guys , has anyone ever been asked to supply photos of there car from dotars, i recieved a fax from them this morning stating quote ' in order to process your application for a motor vehicle approval, i require the information listed below.
* please supply a clear picture of the 1955 olds super 88'
Is it because they don't have one in there data base?
I'm not really concerned but just curious.
cheers chris.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Import approval
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 01:39:08 pm »
This is just from rumors I have heard, but I think customs are cracking down on imports of some types of cars. I think it is more to do with hot rod types (unsafe mods) & later cars with early tags (cobra replicas/dynacorn mustangs etc.) I think it was Cage that told me DOTARS wanted pics of his car as well. Not 100% on all the paticulars but believe this is the jist of it. Your Olds should be fine, but probably worth getting the info out there to get the approval before you part with the cash. Not always practical but it only took about a week when I did mine.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
Import approval
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 02:13:08 pm »
Didn't ask for photos of mine (2 x '69 cars).
Rick

Offline 68pony

• Worked
Import approval
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 03:40:39 pm »

I don't think they have to worry about this beast , but ive already paid for it and its getting shipped any day now, maybe the model super 88 confused them :+

Offline Kosa

• Thoroughbred
Import approval
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 05:55:02 pm »
they asked for pics of my 66 fastback so i faxed two and i was sent my import approval in the mail like a week later ;2

Offline Spooky

• Worked
Import approval
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 05:58:31 pm »
I was asked the same. Apparently it is a new requirement. I emailed them a picture and the approval went through the next day.
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline 68pony

• Worked
Import approval
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 10:29:17 pm »
Awsome , thanks  for your replies i'll sleep better tonight.
cheers chris.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
Import approval
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:08:17 pm »
I wouldnt stress about it. There asking everyone for pics of the cars that are being imported now. I would say the same as stevo....mainly for the restomod jobbies and highly modded cars.

either that or some revhead just got a job there and wants to have a gander at some of the cars coming in to make his job a little more eventfull

;z

Offline Cage

• Worked
Import approval
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 10:03:32 am »
Chris,
Had the same issue last week. I rang them up and spoke to a fairly decent bloke who advise that all import approvals for classic cars now get asked for photo's. His reason was that there has been a huge increase in Hotrod imports from US and they are cracking down on it. I emailed back some photo's and it was approved in a couple of days. All good.

Scared the s%^t out of me though.

Offline Spooky

• Worked
Import approval
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 10:56:35 am »
Originally posted by cage
Chris,
Had the same issue last week. I rang them up and spoke to a fairly decent bloke who advise that all import approvals for classic cars now get asked for photo's. His reason was that there has been a huge increase in Hotrod imports from US and they are cracking down on it. I emailed back some photo's and it was approved in a couple of days. All good.

Scared the s%^t out of me though.

That's the same info I was given.
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
Import approval
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 11:20:52 am »
I wouldn't be too worried about it, they aren't going to be knocking back too many. The GST (and the LCT) are a very good money spinner for them.
Rick

Offline ken

• Stallion
Import approval
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 12:29:04 pm »
All the latest cars to arrive at my shippers for australia all have been asked for pictures...as already mentioned its just new policy.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
Import approval
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 01:59:05 pm »
Originally posted by ken
All the latest cars to arrive at my shippers for australia all have been asked for pictures...as already mentioned its just new policy.

Hi ken, i sent them 2 of the pictures that you sent me, ive done everything 100% truthfully including the amount i paid for the car so i have nothing to worry about , not worth it to save a few bucks on gst.
Hey ken wy wife keeps on asking me...........IS IT HERE YET! :+

Offline 68pony

• Worked
Import approval
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 11:46:48 am »
All good, got the approval today ;2

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
Import approval
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 11:56:18 am »
Wonder what it is they look for in the photos?
Maybe people are trying to pass off restored cars as projects so they can fudge the purchase price without causing suspicion?

Not that a faxed picture is that great but i guess it would give them some idea of the condition.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
Import approval
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 12:20:44 pm »
Originally posted by Foresight
Wonder what it is they look for in the photos?
Maybe people are trying to pass off restored cars as projects so they can fudge the purchase price without causing suspicion?

Not that a faxed picture is that great but i guess it would give them some idea of the condition.

I don't think so , i did put down the full purchase price, if it were a project you would have been mad to put the price i put down, i emailed the photo as it stated they wanted a clear picture , i didn't want to risk sending a fax copy for that reason, i was told by a importer that dotars have been getting alot of false paper work and are clamping down on imports, you will find this will be the norm from now, they should update there website to inform people of the change and send a photo with the approval.