thanks to everyone

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: thanks to everyone  (Read 5812 times)

Offline scott

• Thoroughbred
thanks to everyone
« on: March 12, 2010, 10:02:52 pm »
I AM ABOUT TO MAKE THE LEAP FROM 2 WHEELS TO FOUR,IN THE SENSE THAT IM ABOUT TO BUY A PONY SOME THING 74 DOWN WOULD BE NICE BUT HEY THEYRE ALL GOOD . I JUST NEED SOME ADVICE ON WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR IN TERMS OF RUST AND INHERIT PROBLEMS THAT MAYBE LURKING  IVE ALWAYS HAD CARS OR BIKES AND ALWAYS HAD A SWEET SPOT FOR STANGS SO ANY INFO ON WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED, I AM LOOKING TO SPEND AROUND THE 20 MARK ALSO WHAT TRAPS ARE THERE TO A FRESH IMPORT.

Offline muzz67

• Worked
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
thanks to everyone
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:27:52 pm »
Depending on which state you are in, look up your local MOCA club, get along to a meeting (Next Wed in NSW) and introduce yourself.

Good guys and gals great information, from what i spent 20k will get you an average start in a 60's Stang (is there any other)

Imports a good through the right channels in NSW, BossKraft, Ozbilt, Capital Classics etc, the club mag has some great classifieds at times.

West Coast and Desert Cars are really the safest for minimal rust.

Good hunting and welcome

Muzz67

PS Upper case typing is a sign to most interneters of Anger ! Just a tip.

Offline MustangMedic

• Worked
thanks to everyone
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:42:58 pm »
Welcome buddy.
Go the 67's there the best cars of all,(just ask Lance and myself). It's an adventure and you will enjoy it.
Cheers.
Medic
Always work smarter not harder....

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
thanks to everyone
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 10:44:28 pm »
Originally posted by MustangMedic
Welcome buddy.
Go the 67's there the best cars of all,(just ask Lance and myself). It's an adventure and you will enjoy it.
Cheers.
Medic

Bionic 67 coupes.....they are starting to be almost as common as Eleanors... :w

Offline muzz67

• Worked
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
thanks to everyone
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:48:41 pm »
Possibly, but with style an panash and not much plastic !

Why Eleanor anyway as soft Sheila's name I suppose !

Anyway Kerry, sell the young man a car and get him into the most friendly bunch of no it alls outside the US.

Ever Notice them Chevy types don't have forums with the substance of Stangers !
 Woohoo

Oh yeah your batchin now aren't you!

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
thanks to everyone
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:52:39 pm »
Originally posted by muzz67
Possibly, but with style an panash and not much plastic !

Why Eleanor anyway as soft Sheila's name I suppose !

Anyway Kerry, sell the young man a car and get him into the most friendly bunch of no it alls outside the US.

Ever Notice them Chevy types don't have forums with the substance of Stangers !
 Woohoo

Oh yeah your batchin now aren't you!

Actually at BossKraft's home looking after Tayla. Yes Carol is in the air at the moment, probably mid Pacific.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
thanks to everyone
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:10:00 pm »
Welcome Scott. Traps:

1. UNDERBUDGETING! Allow $10k to get the car here, exchange rate, shipping, freight, insurance, wharf fees, inspection fees, customs agent, GST, on and on it goes. Do plenty of research on this site and anywhere else for costs to import.

2. Not getting the car examined carefully and professionally before you buy it, to make sure it is what it is claimed to be - many tales of woe from people who haven't.

3. Not allowing for the cost and time spent to get the car to the stage you want it. Also tales of woe from people who see their dream disappearing. Be realistic.

4. How are you going to hand over the hard earned? Get someone reputable to help or use a reputable escrow service.

IMO they would be the biggest traps. Research many sites in the States and decide what model you want, then there is always more help available here.

Good luck.
Rick

Offline MustangMedic

• Worked
thanks to everyone
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:12:17 pm »
Hey Kerry.
Just for the record mine is Wimbledon White. Mustangnuts is blue, but they are all 67's ya gotta luv that I rekon.
Cheers.
Medic
PS
Those gear wrenches are the best!!!!
Always work smarter not harder....

Offline nhmustang

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Nick
thanks to everyone
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 01:09:55 am »

Simple, buy one that's already in Australia, heaps here for sale.

Also, get to know what the VIN means and the codes etc......

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
thanks to everyone
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 07:43:39 am »
Might have to paint mine a different colour or maybe stripes??;2

Bionic 67 coupes.....they are starting to be almost as common as Eleanors... :w

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
thanks to everyone
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 07:48:50 am »
Scott, all good advice above esp that pertaining to getting a 67 Coupe. See my avatar.:+
I would look to buy locally where you can fully inspect and have some peace of mind. 20k will still get a reasonably tidy runner, but 25-30k will get a nice looking/running coupe 65-68.
A few heartache stories of recent times when people from this forum trusted verball/written/pictorial descriptions from O.S.
The main thing to look for is rust, rust and rust!
Get some trusted advice before committing.
Buying from overseas is fine if you go through some basic homework first and establish some TRUSTED connections. Some of these types, as mentioned by previous posters on this subject, do great work and post on here regularly.
There are several trustworthy Aussies here and in the States that you could use. Choose carefully! Research well and enjoy!
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
thanks to everyone
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 07:49:40 am »
Originally posted by MustangMedic
Welcome buddy.
Cheers.
Medic

medic,
 when are you going to get a Avatar??????

so when you make these statements you actually prove you have one and its not a figment of your imagination :w

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
thanks to everyone
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 09:01:02 am »
Originally posted by scott
I AM ABOUT TO MAKE THE LEAP FROM 2 WHEELS TO FOUR,IN THE SENSE THAT IM ABOUT TO BUY A PONY SOME THING 74 DOWN WOULD BE NICE BUT HEY THEYRE ALL GOOD . I JUST NEED SOME ADVICE ON WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR IN TERMS OF RUST AND INHERIT PROBLEMS THAT MAYBE LURKING  IVE ALWAYS HAD CARS OR BIKES AND ALWAYS HAD A SWEET SPOT FOR STANGS SO ANY INFO ON WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED, I AM LOOKING TO SPEND AROUND THE 20 MARK ALSO WHAT TRAPS ARE THERE TO A FRESH IMPORT.

Goodday ;{

i am just coming up to my first year of owning a daily driver 66 coupe, 65,66 are all about class the rest seem to lose the plot after that lol. no really 67, 68 are more muscle and i have been in the market for a 67 FB for a while now and it was the first car of choice prior to buying my driver.
Anyway back to the point, when i was looking i came up with the figure that for a driver that you can enjoy straight off buying one in Aus cost me a couple of K more then inporting one and i got to drive it home. The figure of 20k maybe just a few to short, there are some cars around 24 25k that you could drive straight off and enjoy slowly restoring. if you import one your looking at months befor being able to enjoy.  One in Canberra rings a bell, right hand drive, new interior, good suspension and a good driver paint.
Its all personal taste in car and how you buy it, i for one like to see i something in the flesh after nearly being scammed once and buy a no rust project car that had rust everywhere that wasn't disclosed. A quick road trip to mexico save me a heap of $$$$'s and thanks to the boys that put us up down there for the night :(

welcome and good luck......

ps. if the forum doesn't know, its not worth knowing.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
thanks to everyone
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 09:31:57 am »
Scott

Red66 has a rip snorter of a coupe for sale and its allready RHD and its sitting in his man cave under a car cover inbetween Sydney and Melbourne.

All ready to Rock n Roll

I can give you his number if its you

There is also a clean 73 fastback sitting in Cali, ready for shipment to Oz for $15,900USD (not sure what year your chasing...hope that helps

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
thanks to everyone
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 10:58:42 am »
I also know of an original 66 GT in exceptional condition for sale in Canberra. Around $35K. It was my car and it's a good'n. U2U if interested and put put you in contact with the seller.

Offline scott

• Thoroughbred
thanks to everyone
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 02:23:58 pm »
thanks for your replys youve helped me to make up my mind so a pony it is i did like the mach 1 73 but im, not quite ready yet, still got to sell the harley but thats not going to be a problem .what is red66 chasing for his stang.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
thanks to everyone
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 07:28:52 pm »
Think hes in the 30's scott

I can forward you his details if you want or he may see your post