A Few Notes about Shipping

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: A Few Notes about Shipping  (Read 26528 times)

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 10:58:30 pm »
Originally posted by mustang-jerry
:( spot on USA289

I think everyone has a different idea on what shipping car's should include,main one that i hate
being included is the inspection fee's no one should buy a car without one.

Mate i'm not trying to start a slanging match, it was a seriuos question , i would not buy a car without a inspection but $2080 sounds steep , i just want to know what else that fee included , the other post on the same subject stated his inspection fee was $171, i'm not having a go at shernat but this thread is abit misleading , as i stated when shermat gets a chance i'm sure he will answer the question.
cheers

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 11:01:12 pm »
Originally posted by Rock65
And JMD1 you must be on the same boat as me as my car has been in Long Beach since the 5th of December also and had the same story about titles and paper work BS.

Can i ask who is shipping the car for you???
Yep going with Shumachers,just about ready to fly over and see if my car exists. Getting sick of excuses.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 11:03:11 pm »
From reading a few of Matts posts, and from what he told me when I enquired, I understand the fee covers him flying out to look at the car, inspecting it, and negotiating a ripper deal on the price. He will then buy the car, with your money. Some of the savings he has shown, are often as much as the inspection fee itself.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 11:04:26 pm »
Matt charged me $925 from memory but the vehicle was delivered to him, he checked it over sent me a sh.te load of pics and sorted payment etc before I had time to get the cash to his account as cleared funds.
Spose we all have our own story.
So far alls good even with the shipping time.

Offline KEVLYN

• Pony
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 11:10:39 pm »
Originally posted by 68pony
Originally posted by KEVLYN
This is a copy of the estimate custom clearance from Freightnet the total amount was a bit more, and to answer BLKPNY, yes i saw the car on ebay and had Matt inspect it for me  

I'm not having a dig here just would like clarification, you say you found the car on ebay? did you bid and win the car? did shermat inspect the car before bidding? did you pay the seller direct or did shermat pay for you? Again i'm not having a dig just need to know the facts as i think $2080 for inspection fee is abit steep ,am i missing something? your post is not real clear on that fee maybe shermat can clarify, again please i'm not having a dig, im getting a car shipped at the moment(hasn't left yet) through somebody else, i havn't discused shipping with them yet but i think i should after reading this post, ive spoken to a few people that have shipped in lots of car's but use a local shipper here in aus and have paid $3500au but that included all the unloading fees here ,all they paid on top was gst and aqis.
cheers chris
Shermatt's fee is $2000.00 AU (check his site out for fee structure) he also charged $80.00 AU for an inspection, i am just letting you know the total cost to me, i saw the Chevelle on US ebay,  Matt did the inspection and payed a $500US deposit for me to hold the car, i then payed Matt the deposit back and payed for the car via bank deposit, Matt then provides all contacts for transport interstate and shipping, when the car arrives at shipping company i had to deal with them direct to facilitate the transportation, when it arrived in Australia i was contacted by the customs agent and i dealt with them direct and payed all relevant clearances and GST, hope this clarifies things

Offline mustang-jerry

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 11:13:31 pm »
Originally posted by 68pony
:( spot on USA289

I think everyone has a different idea on what shipping car's should include,main one that i hate
being included is the inspection fee's no one should buy a car without one.

Mate I'm not trying to start a slanging match, it was a serious question , i would not buy a car without a inspection but $2080 sounds steep , i just want to know what else that fee included , the other post on the same subject stated his inspection fee was $171, I'm not having a go at shernat but this thread is a bit misleading , as i stated when shermat gets a chance I'm sure he will answer the question.
cheers

Sorry it was not in reference to the fee charged i was meaning i normally include it in the price of the car  when working out the shipping cost. I'm sure Matt can explain the charge when he wakes up.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 11:14:22 pm »
Originally posted by BLKPNY
From reading a few of Matts posts, and from what he told me when I enquired, I understand the fee covers him flying out to look at the car, inspecting it, and negotiating a ripper deal on the price. He will then buy the car, with your money. Some of the savings he has shown, are often as much as the inspection fee itself.

Ok this thread states , He found it on ebay , so where is the barganing ,seeing the car was land freighted from florida , isnt that where shermat runs his show, there are to many different stories out there on what shipping costs and at the end of the day they have us by the short and curlys, to many people here to scared to say what they feel cause it might up set some one, at the end of the day its your hard earn, if you want to throw it away so be it.

Offline mustang-jerry

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 11:17:16 pm »
Originally posted by mustang-Jerry
And JMD1 you must be on the same boat as me as my car has been in Long Beach since the 5Th of December also and had the same story about titles and paper work BS.

Yep going with Schumacher's,just about ready to fly over and see if my car exists. Getting sick of excuses.

Sorry to here that i would jump on a plane or ask for a refund and move it to another shipper.

Offline KEVLYN

• Pony
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 11:19:13 pm »

I chose that particular Chevelle because it was in easy driving distance for Matt, he said it was about an hours drive, he saw the car and was very happy with it, called me back and told me transfer the money asap as he had placed a deposit on it, the asking price was $14950.00US this is exactly what i payed. Matt did not (in this instance) try to get a better price, he told me it was well worth the money so he did not negotiate the price, again, it is really not about the cost of the car, it is to let people know a total cost of importing yourself, hope this clears things

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 11:19:13 pm »
[[/quote]Shermatt's fee is $2000.00 AU (check his site out for fee structure) he also charged $80.00 AU for an inspection, i am just letting you know the total cost to me, i saw the Chevelle on US ebay,  Matt did the inspection and payed a $500US deposit for me to hold the car, i then payed Matt the deposit back and payed for the car via bank deposit, Matt then provides all contacts for transport interstate and shipping, when the car arrives at shipping company i had to deal with them direct to facilitate the transportation, when it arrived in Australia i was contacted by the customs agent and i dealt with them direct and payed all relevant clearances and GST, hope this clarifies things [/quote]

Is there a problem with the car?
Are you unhappy with the cost of importing?
Could you have sorted transport arrangements?
I don't understand.
I'm happy even tho it has taken a bit.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 11:22:33 pm »
Originally posted by KEVLYN

I chose that particular Chevelle because it was in easy driving distance for Matt, he said it was about an hours drive, he saw the car and was very happy with it, called me back and told me transfer the money asap as he had placed a deposit on it, the asking price was $14950.00US this is exactly what i payed. Matt did not (in this instance) try to get a better price, he told me it was well worth the money so he did not negotiate the price, again, it is really not about the cost of the car, it is to let people know a total cost of importing yourself, hope this clears things

Wow it does clear things up, thanks.

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 11:23:07 pm »
Originally posted by mustang-Jerry
And JMD1 you must be on the same boat as me as my car has been in Long Beach since the 5Th of December also and had the same story about titles and paper work BS.

Yep going with Schumacher's,just about ready to fly over and see if my car exists. Getting sick of excuses.

Sorry to here that i would jump on a plane or ask for a refund and move it to another shipper.
Being new to importing do you think this is a possibility. Mikes68 car left LA after mine arrived and is is in his garage in WA already and mine is still in the states.

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 11:26:50 pm »
Rock
Send them an email and a serve it worked for me .
Do it tonight by Tuesday you should have a kneejerk all going well.

Offline KEVLYN

• Pony
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 11:27:06 pm »

Is there a problem with the car?
Are you unhappy with the cost of importing?
Could you have sorted transport arrangements?
I don't understand.
I'm happy even tho it has taken a bit.

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 11:35:53 pm »

Don't worry mate you have done nothing wrong in my books but state the facts regarding your purchase, but at the end of the day did you know shermats fee before you committed  if so .then so be it, still think its abit steep, but thats only my opinion.

Offline mustang-jerry

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 11:36:27 pm »

Mine left long beach on the 11/01/2010 and arrived here last week, It alway's depends if it's on a direct ship or via china as mine was.

Offline djc

• Stallion
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2010, 11:36:41 pm »

I can assure you mate you get more than $2K of value with Shermatt.  You don't just get an inspection like everyone else who don't give a rats about you afterwords.  There are so many scams going on re inspections (and one from memory who lurks on this forum from time to time quoting figures and promises)

Shermatt saved me well over their fee cost as well as all the other running around for parts etc which I wasn't charged for.

I could go on and on about it but I don't have to justify my choice as it is self explanatory!

Oh and for shipping, im not too scared to say what it cost me from LA to Melb as it was around $1550US which is pretty bloody good!

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 11:39:55 pm »
The Mach1 Purchase -

This car was in Shermatts mailing list for $18k. We were happy to pay that amount for the car.

Matt flew to South Carolina and rented a car to go and inspect the Mach1.

He conducted a thorough inspection, took about 50 photos and then rang jeremy to give an opinion and seek further instructions.

Jeremy gave Matt the all clear to negotiate a price with the seller. Matt negotiated the price of $15k! Well done Matt.

Matt organised payment of the car and even took a Video of the money being handed over.
He then organised Transporting the car to the Shipping Company in Los angeles.

It ended up costing us slightly less than the original $18k, which included Matt`s Fee landed in Los Angeles.

So a GREAT BIG THANKYOU to Matt.

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline KEVLYN

• Pony
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 11:46:36 pm »
I DID KNOW SHERMATT'S FEE FROM THE BEGINNING, I WAS A BIT SHOCKED AT THE TOTAL IT COST ALL UP, I WAS AWARE OF THE GST ON THE PURCHASE AND SHIPPING BUT THE TRANSPORT COSTS AND CUSTOMS CLEARANCE WAS WELL ABOVE WHAT I EXPECTED, I DID ASK MATT VERY EARLY IF HE COULD PROVIDE ME WITH A TOTAL COST BUT HE DIDN'T, THE DEAL HAPPENED VERY FAST, I HAVE LEARNED A FEW THING FROM THIS AND I WOULD DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY NEXT TIME, REGARDS KEV

Offline rocket

• Please visit our new Website
  • Blue Printed
  • MOCSA Member No. 894
    • Image Classic Cars
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 12:07:28 am »

Very sad to hear of the shipping delays being experienced by some members. We had the same problem a few years back. It is very annoying.

Our Shipper of choice is now Titan International Shipping. The going cost to ship a car is $1550 + Insurance of 2%. Our last car needed degassing of the Air Cond, which brought the total cost to 1,900 USD.

Titan use the Direct Ship. We received Import Approval for the Grande on 30th November and the car arrived in Melbourne on the 26th December.

Upon arrival in Melbourne it cost $1650 AUD + GST.

Can`t get better service than that!

Rocket.
Check out our new Website

http://www.imageclassiccars.com.au/

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2010, 12:47:20 am »
The thing that I think a few guys are missing about Matts fee is that it's not an "inspection" fee.

I classed Matts service as more of a "finders" fee.
If you're already stuck on a car that you want, then maybe Matts full service is not for you.

Matts service fee is for finding you a car.. inspecting it, taking plenty of photos etc... if you don't like it, he will look for another one for you. When you have found a car you like, he will negotiate the price for you and hopefully save you more than he charges. After that, he organises everything for you to get the car to Aus.

Having dealt with him for my car (which was very freakin cheap), and having seen him work for other guys on here, it's safe to say the guy is a workaholic.

So I think when we throw about Matts service fee, it's important to understand what it's about, and to keep it in context. Considering the time and money he is saving you, compared to you having to go overseas and do it all yourself, I think the fee is quite reasonable.
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline scedd

• Worked
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2010, 07:36:52 am »
In my opinion Matt is a "buyers agent" and the service he provides for his fee is a bargain

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2010, 08:44:37 am »
I am not sure if KEVLYN is being interpreted correctly. I dont think he is having a dig at Matt, more just stating what it ended up costing landed. I know when I bought mine the figure I had shelled out by the time it was home was more than I bargained for. I organised all the shipping etc myself so I dont really know what I expected it to cost, it was just more than I had hoped. Had I have been smart enough to have found his forum before I bought the car I think Matt would have got the job & I reckon I would have come out better off. Instead once the car was all organised I then found the forum:+

In my case - Pile of rust $9200.00US,exch rate was around 81c at the time. It owed me about $19500.00AU in my driveway. Plus about 5k worth of parts dissapeared & another $1250.00 US to ship the parts that didnt dissapear. The pencil that picked it up from Texas only took the body & not the boxes of parts/engine etc. Hindsight is a curse:w

Offline kiwi69

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2010, 09:12:40 am »
Guys, Kevlyn is just explaining to people what true and actual costs are involved in getting a car to AUS.  As far as I can see that is it - nothing more nothing less!!

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2010, 09:17:07 am »
All my comments have been directed to this thread only, kevlyn states that he found the car not shermatt and he asked if mat could inspect the car,which was 1 hour away, car was advertised for 14,950 and thats what kevlyn paid, yes i know that shermat organised to have the car picked up and payed the seller for kevlyn , but i have done the exact same thing in california using  another respected  person on this forum, same deal, car was 1 hour away , car was advertised for 16,000(not a mustang) he inspected the car,  could only knock off 250 bucks , but its a real nice car, he even put the deposit down for me before i had given him any money , i sent the money to him and he went and paid the seller and had the tilt truck pick up the car at the same time, he organised to have the car taken to the docks aswell,
all in all a very stress free transaction, and how much did i pay for him to do this,this is a list of my costs on the usa side not including the costs on this side all money is in aussie dollars, this is a quote from his email to me regarding costs from his end.
$2800 shipping,freight,custom clearance in usa +$100 vaseline
$175 flatbed collection of car
$580 for me to go twice ,1 to inspect,2nd to go pay etc
=$3655.00
The gentlmans name is KEN , THANK YOU KEN!  for a pleasant stress free transaction, the paint and chrome on the car is very nice so i opted for the vaseline coat on the car.
hope this helps anyone calculate costs on shipping a car.
cheers chris