A Few Notes about Shipping

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: A Few Notes about Shipping  (Read 26531 times)

Offline KEVLYN

• Pony
« on: March 05, 2010, 12:28:21 pm »
True cost of importing from USA via Shermatt

Purchase 1972 Chevy Chevelle US$14950.00

Shermatt's fee + inspection fee AU$2080.00

Overland Transport Florida-LA US$800.00

Shipping, Schumacher Logistics
incl, insurance and air con de-commission US$2374.00

Customs Fee and clearance AU$1846.00

GST on car and transport AU$1673.00

bank fees for international transfer AU$200.00

Total Cost AU$ 25958.00

Therefore the total cost to your door above the cost of the vehicle would be over AU$9000.00
this will obviously fluctuate depending on currency exchange rate and the original purchase price of the vehicle .

i have purchased a few mustangs from dealers in Australia in the past, this time i thought i would have a go myself, i did try to find out exactly how much this would cost before i committed, i still got a good buy with the Chevelle but the costs associated with the import where well above my expectations.

Just thought i would bring this to peoples attention so they now all the facts and prices (that i payed)
before they commit to a purchase of this kind.

hope this helps in your decision to personally import a vehicle.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 12:37:07 pm »
you forgot the Import approval...

Did you buy the car thru Matt? I know he often pays a lot less for the cars, often negating the inspection fee.
Also, a non aircon car would have saved evacuating the air con system.

what was the $$ at when you bought it?
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Thirsty428

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:49:28 pm »
Hi Kevlyn,

Thanks.
A friend of mine just spent almost the same amount and his camaro is nearlly on its way.

He has aksed me if you could provide more detail on

"Customs Fee and clearance AU$1846.00"

Kind Regards,
John

Offline KEVLYN

• Pony
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 02:01:35 pm »
This is a copy of the estimate custom clearance from Freightnet the total amount was a bit more, and to answer BLKPNY, yes i saw the car on ebay and had Matt inspect it for me the AU-US $ rate at the time was $0.93 but you loose a bit when processing through the bank.

IMPORT CUSTOMS CLEARANCE CHARGES      
        SEAFREIGHT    

IMPORT SEAFREIGHT/MOTOR VEHICLE IMPORT
DESCRIPTION     CHARGES
Formal Clearance        AUD135.00      
Port Service Charge-    AUD5500/cbm x 14.158cbm = $778.69      
Terminal Handling Charge        AUD20.00/cbm x 14.158cbm = $283.16    
Quarantine entry (if required)  AUD113.00      
Quarantine attendance   AUD35.00      
Quarantine inspection   AUD75.00 /mv/ per inspection (tere will be 2 inspections after steam clean - if required)      
E.H.C   AUD10.00      
Security Surcharge      AUD10.00      
Delivery Order  AUD60.00      
Shipping line document fee      AUD20.00      
Customs lodgement Fee   AUD72.00      
Post & Pettis   AUD5.00
Cargo Automation/CMR    AUD35.00      
Steam Clean     AUD22.00 /mv/per steam clean  

NOTES -        
1. Formal clearance up to 5 lines              
2. Multiple suppliers - AUD25.00 each additional line  
3. Based on arrival via Freightnet consolidation      
4. All quarantine disbursments will be additional      
5. Excludes any duties, taxes          
6. Charges for general cargo only              
7. All Charges COD

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 02:04:46 pm »
Kevlyn,you have beaten me to it. I was also going to post the same thread ,after my car arrives (which will be 4 months from  the purchase date) so that others can refer to this as a guide to importing.

Your costs are quite accurate, but forgot the cleaning fee which you will probably be hit with on arrival ($240) and the Authority to Import ($50) + Local pit inspection ($90) rego ($600) insurance ($300) So you have to weigh up buying in Oz verses importing, although i still believe i have bought a better car from the states than i could have got here, and for less money. (but i still havent seen my car in the flesh).

There are alot of hiden costs that most people going through importing are not aware of and as a first timer i had to convince "The Treasurer" that it will still be a worth while exercise at the end of the day. Post some pics of your Chevelle and Happy Crusin'.  

Offline Forder

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 02:10:33 pm »
Hi,
My experience:
$800 USD for my 65 (rust free 6cyl)  (I won the jackpot)
$50 import papers
$4000 transport including EVERYTHING landed to my door.  Nothing more to pay.

I used John CAIN and his son in Orange CA.  I could not fault them and have recommend their services to many.
I was VERY lucky with my find and did have help in LA but took 1 year to find the right car.

MUSTANG664

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 02:16:10 pm »
is this the orange one worth $50k or the green one landed in WA?

kinda curious

Offline Forder

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 02:59:08 pm »
I forgot to say arrived in 3 weeks from packing.

MUSTANG664

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 04:04:53 pm »
Originally posted by Shermatt
is this the orange one worth $50k or the green one landed in WA for $14k?

kinda curious

Offline Red 66

• Worked
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 04:11:31 pm »

Get to bed!!! You have work tomorrow ;2

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:30:56 pm »
Originally posted by KEVLYN
This is a copy of the estimate custom clearance from Freightnet the total amount was a bit more, and to answer BLKPNY, yes i saw the car on ebay and had Matt inspect it for me  

I'm not having a dig here just would like clarification, you say you found the car on ebay? did you bid and win the car? did shermat inspect the car before bidding? did you pay the seller direct or did shermat pay for you? Again i'm not having a dig just need to know the facts as i think $2080 for inspection fee is abit steep, am i missing something? your post is not real clear on that fee maybe shermat can clarify, again please i'm not having a dig, im getting a car shipped at the moment (hasn't left yet) through somebody else, i havn't discused shipping with them yet but i think i should after reading this post, ive spoken to a few people that have shipped in lots of car's but use a local shipper here in aus and have paid $3500au but that included all the unloading fees here, all they paid on top was gst and aqis.
cheers chris

Offline mustang-jerry

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 10:23:41 pm »
KEVLYN,
I don't think you can include inspection fee's in your shipping cost that should be reflected in the total cost of the car as well as the transport cost to the port.

Also these cost's are the same no matter who you go through,if you had gone straight to the buyer the only thing you would have saved is the inspection fee and personally i would never import a car without one.

How much is this car worth in oz ...could you have brought one here in the same condition for that price i doubt it

PS How about some pic's  

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 10:26:20 pm »
Originally posted by 68pony
Originally posted by KEVLYN
This is a copy of the estimate custom clearance from Freightnet the total amount was a bit more, and to answer BLKPNY, yes i saw the car on ebay and had Matt inspect it for me  

I'm not having a dig here just would like clarification, you say you found the car on ebay? did you bid and win the car? did shermat inspect the car before bidding? did you pay the seller direct or did shermat pay for you? Again i'm not having a dig just need to know the facts as i think $2080 for inspection fee is abit steep ,am i missing something? your post is not real clear on that fee maybe shermat can clarify, again please i'm not having a dig, im getting a car shipped at the moment(hasn't left yet) through somebody else, i havn't discused shipping with them yet but i think i should after reading this post, ive spoken to a few people that have shipped in lots of car's but use a local shipper here in aus and have paid $3500au but that included all the unloading fees here ,all they paid on top was gst and aqis.
cheers chris

Im not sure either, am I missing something or.........;w
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline usa289

• Worked
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 10:33:00 pm »
I think "shipping fees' should only be the total cost from when the car is received in Long Beach (or the shipping port) to when the car is picked/cleared from the receiving port.

Any vehicle inspection fees, coast of insuring the car in transit, GST on purchase and freight costs, road transport in US, import approval and air con gas evacuation, etc, should NOT be included as "shipping"?
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 10:38:35 pm »
Originally posted by mustang-jerry
KEVLYN,
I don't think you can include inspection fee's in your shipping cost that should be reflected in the total cost of the car as well as the transport cost to the port.

Also these cost's are the same no matter who you go through,if you had gone straight to the buyer the only thing you would have saved is the inspection fee and personally i would never import a car without one.

How much is this car worth in oz ...could you have brought one here in the same condition for that price i doubt it

PS How about some pic's  

Couldn't agree more, gst and rego etc have nothing to do with the cost of bringing in a car. $800 for cross country (assuming the car came from Florida) is dirt cheap. As for bank charges....
Time in storage is not Matts problem, my vehicle was meant to be shipped today having sat in LA since early December but was held back due to paperwork issues with another going into the container. I know that that is an excuse used all the time but what the hell can I do about it.
Unfortunately it is easy to get the red flag waving and not disclose all the facts, just what suits given the mood at the time.
Not wanting to upset anyone just MHO.

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 10:39:02 pm »
This thread should be added to "The true cost of shipping " thread so that everyone knows what the TOTAL cost is to bring a car from the USA to OZ.

Offline mustang-jerry

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 10:41:26 pm »
:( spot on USA289

I think everyone has a different idea on what shipping car's should include,main one that i hate
being included is the inspection fee's no one should buy a car without one.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 10:42:06 pm »
In the Just Cars Magazine there are folk advertising to deliver cars from the west coast USA to Aust for under $3500, I mite be mistaken but so far the car I have bought hasn't cost as much as this post suggests, I'm a bit worried now!
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 10:44:07 pm »
And JMD1 you must be on the same boat as me as my car has been in Long Beach since the 5th of December also and had the same story about titles and paper work BS.

Offline mustang-jerry

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 10:47:52 pm »
Dont be hev the mach 1 i just imported would have been about$ 3500 plus the gst and aqis

Offline mustang-jerry

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 10:51:27 pm »
Originally posted by Rock65
And JMD1 you must be on the same boat as me as my car has been in Long Beach since the 5th of December also and had the same story about titles and paper work BS.

Can i ask who is shipping the car for you???

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 10:52:12 pm »
Rock
Mines due 28/ 3. Brisbane. Tracking no is a waste of time all it is is a waste of download.
Feedback from Schumakers is non existant, they only reply when I send them a I am p.ssed off email.
Am pretty sure your car went over the same day as mine.
Will just be good to have the beast here, it's been 6 months but alls good.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 10:52:48 pm »
The guy who brings my stock in, charges $3500 plus GST for shipping, paperwork etc and 1 clean.
That does not include him inspecting the car, making a deal, getting a better price by waving cash under their nose, transporting the car, storing it, etc etc. Nor does it include bank fee's etc.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline A67PNY

• Worked
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 10:57:15 pm »
Originally posted by HEVEN67
In the Just Cars Magazine there are folk advertising to deliver cars from the west coast USA to Aust for under $3500, I mite be mistaken but so far the car I have bought hasn't cost as much as this post suggests, I'm a bit worried now!

Hey HEVEN67
I used one of those folks from the Just Cars Magazine.
Autoezy search. Fantastic.
I found the car. Gave Autoezy the money and they handled the rest.
The fee they all state does not include government charges.
When I requested a quote they replied in the most simplest
way that even I could understand. And their inspection
fee was only @700 bucks.
So there is no need to be worried.
Cheers........

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 10:58:02 pm »
Originally posted by BLKPNY
The guy who brings my stock in, charges $3500 plus GST for shipping, paperwork etc and 1 clean.
That does not include him inspecting the car, making a deal, getting a better price by waving cash under their nose, transporting the car, storing it, etc etc. Nor does it include bank fee's etc.

My point entirely. It is so easy to bag someone when they are not in your face. I'm quite happy with everything apart from not being kept up to date by the freight co.