Yes it's a GIRL!! :)

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Yes it's a GIRL!! :)  (Read 5524 times)

Offline lisaluvskell

• L Plates
« on: March 02, 2010, 05:41:43 pm »
TextTextText

Hi Boys... I didn't see any posts from ladies... But i'm sure i'm not the only one. :{

So... you might want to help me and you might not. I'm not really a car person, but I'm researching, test driving and learning. Just got to test drive a 2009 Shelby GT500. I wasn't able to drive it long.. too fast for my i'm afraid.

I'm Aussie and right now i'm living in Canada. There are mustangs everywhere here. There are three on my street and there are only 15 houses in our cul-de-sac.

I'm moving back as I miss my family and I had a baby boy (1 year now) and I want him to know his Nanny and Poppy!!;]

So to be able to afford to move back (containers and all that stuff) I thought I'd buy a Mustang here (own it for 1 year so don't have to pay as much $) and then ship it with all of my other stuff. Thing is I have to buy it soon, as I want to move back asap.

I got the idea from a man that I met who moved back last year. He had been living in Mission, BC for about 30 years and moved back to Lismore. I unf. lost his number. ;x He had 3 mustangs, a boat and a BIG caravan in his container and had lots a pointers for me. Maybe he is on this site???

I was looking at buying a new mustang... but then I found out how much it cost to change the steering over and i thought that would be too much and I would end us losing $$.
So I thought about bringing an older on back... I like the 1965 model. Not that I'm going to keep it. ;{

So if you have any tips for me or anything to say... swing it my way... I'd really appreciate it from people how know LOTS about these cars.

Also, my hubby is NOT a car man... He likes the idea but is studying for a big exam and has no time to research etc.

Offline tim_morrison82

• Blue Printed
    • http://s806.photobucket.com/home/tim_morrison82/allalbums
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 06:14:16 pm »
Welcome!

first thing i can point out, don't buy one locally... there are good areas and bad areas to buy mustangs from, and anywhere it snows is bad cause they use salt to stop the snow from turning into ice on the roads. if its been driven in snowy conditions for 40+ years, just imagine how much floor you have left under the carpet!

if you can get hold of an agent, such as Shermatt or KEN on this site, they should be able to give you a list of available cars that have been inspected.

good luck!

Offline mach70

• Blue Printed
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:22:25 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Some of us have useful info and the rest well we use their knowledge.:w

Look very carefully into buying a new one as I'm pretty sure in most states anything new (under 30 ish years, someone will correct me) requires conversion from LHD to RHD.

Cheers

Edit.....Note to self...read the post fully before putting fingers in gear.:_

Shawn

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 08:35:47 am »
Welcome aboard.

Yes it's a bit blokey, but there are a few ladies participating, and hopefully getting the car advice they need.

If you buy a Mustang 30 years or older, it comes into Oz duty free automatically, so there's no financial incentive to hold it for a year.

65/66 cars are good property, and the 66 has the more modern dash. The best sellers seem to be C code and A code V8's. Coupes are cheapest, then convertibles and fastbacks. 67/68 fastbacks and Mach 1's seem to be in short supply, and in demand. Be careful if you are offered a pricey GT, as there are a lot of dollied up cars around. Consult this forum before committing.

Given you and hubby are not car savvy, it's very good advice to use one of the Aussies in the USA to source a car for you. Then book them to arrange shipping when you are ready to return.

Ripoff merchants abound in old cars, and you don't want someone's rust bucket. Keep in mind body repairs have become hugely expensive in recent years due to the cost of labour and overheads.

Offline dalex

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:31:41 am »
Originally posted by 66RedRagtop
Welcome aboard.

If you buy a Mustang 30 years or older, it comes into Oz duty free automatically, so there's no financial incentive to hold it for a year.

This was discussed a while back and Kerry said that if you have had the vehicle for over a year, and fill the form out correctly as a personal import, then you will also avoid the GST.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:38:20 am »
if your going to do a newer mustang....make sure you have the title in hand to ship it after your 12 months of ownership....you cant ship the car while its still under finance...you need the title

as for conversion to RHD....being a personal import, it will need to be done before you can register it however Im sure someone of the forum will be more than happy to pay you $5-10k more than you payed for it before its ready to ship and convert it them selves when it gets here.

I wouldnt be too concenered with buying a 65/66 right now if your planning on owning it for for 12 months...buy one when your ready to do the big move back home (unless a bargain comes along)

If you need any more info on either model/year cars, give me a call and I can give you a few ideas that may help.

Cheers

Matt (AKA "the fatkid") 727 364 8707