Small block versus BIG BLOCK

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Small block versus BIG BLOCK  (Read 24817 times)

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2010, 12:15:09 pm »
Originally posted by soc123_au
 you have seen & heard the thing in Simons XP its a beast of a Windsor. Choice is all yours.

Yeah that thing sounds freakin' sweet.
If mine sounds anything like that when its done, I'll be chuffed as a fat man with a box of pies.

Turns out a mate from soccer has a brother that works in a shop that builds some V8 supercar engines. He told me last night that if I pay for the block cleaning and machining, everything else will be taken care of. I have most of the parts I need already, so should be a very affordable build for me :p
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2010, 04:01:21 pm »
Originally posted by hybrid
 you have seen & heard the thing in Simons XP its a beast of a Windsor. Choice is all yours.

Yeah that thing sounds freakin' sweet.
If mine sounds anything like that when its done, I'll be chuffed as a fat man with a box of pies.

Turns out a mate from soccer has a brother that works in a shop that builds some V8 supercar engines. He told me last night that if I pay for the block cleaning and machining, everything else will be taken care of. I have most of the parts I need already, so should be a very affordable build for me :p

Thats a bonus, you would be pretty confident they know what they are doing:(

The XP sounds even better now its tuned properly. The diff should be back monday & then it will need to cruise around for a week or two, then get the big run on the dyno. Should be interesting to see the numbers.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2010, 12:42:20 am »
Well I havent got to much to comment on this topic as if youve never done it, you have to give it a bash.

Ive never done it Bas, But Im about too....little bit different though...the 67 fastback I have in the works now is allready a "S" code car however I have decided to build a GT500 clone.

A mate of mine has been busting my baL Ls for months about his 427 that I think I even told Lee about for his Q code. Anyway, long story short...I bought it yesterday

Hes quoting it has around 600Hp bench. I dont really care if its got 400 aslong as its in the car and saves me 700 phone calls on the over all job of rebuilding a 390....engine is worth more than the car cost...its ridicilous...but it should be fun...on the hunt for a 5 or 6 speed gearbox now and a bloody good clutch

Was going to do an Eleanor but I felt sick saying that word and I need some practice working on a Shelby GT500 body

Personally, with your car Bas (and Rick)....take some advice from the forum....the big block is more wan k factor in a straight line.....Go a nice 351 windsor and stroke the snot out of it

You'll be just as impressed (however, big block has a nice ring about it around the ladies) :+:+:+

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2010, 01:16:47 am »
If only....

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2010, 01:18:09 am »
Kerrys got ya sorted brother!!  dont dispare  ;2

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2010, 01:25:01 am »
Yep he sure has weve already got a cj set asidebut  itd a 427 would be a sweet piece of kit...even if it was on an engine stand in the garage

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2010, 04:44:32 am »
Originally posted by Foresight
Yep he sure has weve already got a cj set asidebut  itd a 427 would be a sweet piece of kit...even if it was on an engine stand in the garage

How about a fibreglas one? Put all the bling bits on it & who would know?

I am bringing back some fibreglass/foam engines & gearboxes for using for fitup as they weigh about 10kg each. Already have a 351W & Cleveland heads here in the US, just got to get some more (FE & 289) & throw in my truck when it comes home.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2010, 07:23:10 am »
Kerry,

where do you get them from....need a 289, 351 W and a 427?

Also looking for a 2005 mustang one if they have it

matt

heres a ebay link...this what ya talkin?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/P-Ayr-3020-Engine-Replica-Block-Polyurethane-Foam-Blue_W0QQitemZ390156322903QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_100?hash=item5ad7210857

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2010, 07:33:03 am »
Summit sell them.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2010, 10:18:57 am »
Originally posted by Shermatt
Kerry,

where do you get them from....need a 289, 351 W and a 427?

Also looking for a 2005 mustang one if they have it

matt

heres a ebay link...this what ya talkin?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/P-Ayr-3020-Engine-Replica-Block-Polyurethane-Foam-Blue_W0QQitemZ390156322903QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_100?hash=item5ad7210857  

That price would be about right.

I usually get them when at a GoodGuys hot rod show, they usually have a booth. People look at you weird when you are walking out with one on your shoulder. :(

From Ohio, neat people, good to deal with direct.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2010, 05:34:11 am »
Baz, I hope to land back in SYD on the 28th. I will be home for at least a month, so how about contacting me when I get back & I can sit down with you & Steve (maybe if he has time) to plan the attcck on your drivetrain.

I think you may be suffering from information overload & to have me as the small S/B guy & Steve as the B/B guy would make the conversation easy for you to grasp.

Offline MustangMedic

• Worked
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2010, 09:05:44 am »
Kerry.
Have you ever considered running information/topic seminars(fancy words for a BBQ) at the ranch. A good info day could begin with the small vs big block application. With the oportunity for people to see examples of both fitted in to vehicles and the issues/cost surrounding the directions people want to travel. I,m sure if a donation by the members covered meals and any other expenses, this would only encourage people to gain a better understanding of Ford Mustangs and social networking for members and their families.
Your thoughts???
Cheers.
Medic
Always work smarter not harder....

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2010, 09:45:53 am »
Originally posted by ozbilt
Baz, I hope to land back in SYD on the 28th. I will be home for at least a month, so how about contacting me when I get back & I can sit down with you & Steve (maybe if he has time) to plan the attcck on your drivetrain.

I think you may be suffering from information overload & to have me as the small S/B guy & Steve as the B/B guy would make the conversation easy for you to grasp.

Hey Kerry,

That sounds great...really looking forward to it.
I hope Steve can spare a little time :(

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2010, 01:00:26 pm »
Originally posted by stangLover
Originally posted by ozbilt

Hey Kerry,

That sounds great...really looking forward to it.
I hope Steve can spare a little time :(

Then may I suggest his shop as it is know to all of us as a venue. See what Steve says to that, as I don't want to invade his shop time, so it needs to be when he is cruising rather than the high stress weekdays.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2010, 01:05:59 pm »
Originally posted by MustangMedic
Kerry.
Have you ever considered running information/topic seminars(fancy words for a BBQ) at the ranch. A good info day could begin with the small vs big block application. With the oportunity for people to see examples of both fitted in to vehicles and the issues/cost surrounding the directions people want to travel. I,m sure if a donation by the members covered meals and any other expenses, this would only encourage people to gain a better understanding of Ford Mustangs and social networking for members and their families.
Your thoughts???
Cheers.
Medic  

Here is an idea, sign up for my California cruise & you can have me for the 10 days.  :(

The BBQ sounds like a good idea, as I used to do them in our shop in California for diff car clubs. It can be done as a seminar. I will do some planning.

As most of you, that have met me, know, I love to talk, probably why I loved teaching, a captive audience...:w

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2010, 09:33:02 am »
A saturday at my shop would be fine or a sunday. Weekdays are tough as I struggle to get 5 mins uninterupted most of the time plus cars are constantly in & out. We have a BBQ & a fridge so refreshments wont be a problem. Also examples of cars at various stages of repair/restoration are here so questions can be answered with real examples.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2010, 10:06:05 am »
A saturday at my shop would be fine or a sunday. Weekdays are tough as I struggle to get 5 mins uninterupted most of the time plus cars are constantly in & out. We have a BBQ & a fridge so refreshments wont be a problem. Also examples of cars at various stages of repair/restoration are here so questions can be answered with real examples.

Gee Steve, thats a lot of trouble to go to for Baz & me.. :w

But I sure do appreciate the thought.. :(

(my last post here was about a seminar/BBQ at the ranch)

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2010, 10:25:07 am »
Either way, I wasnt sure if it was a bb vs sb great debate thing with Bas as adjudacator or that with a bit of a seminar type deal with others involved. We have been thinking about having an open day type thing anyway.

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2010, 10:25:56 am »
I'm free anytime and day except saturday and sunday early mornings.....kids sports...
But free after that :(

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2010, 10:37:39 am »
Either way, I wasnt sure if it was a bb vs sb great debate thing with Bas as adjudacator or that with a bit of a seminar type deal with others involved. We have been thinking about having an open day type thing anyway.

Yeah I thought just the three of us would be better than all the input here. The suggestions here are all valid & make sense, but the amount of variations are too much to think about for one person, let alone someone that is still on the start of the learning curve. This way we can bring up this thread & list all the suggestions to come up with the plan.

Offline Cage

• Worked
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2010, 08:13:30 pm »
Hey boys. If you are looking for someone to cook the bbq and take the tops off the beers I am your man. Love to learn something from you blokes.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2010, 08:16:44 pm »
Skype me into the meeting if you can :+

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2010, 04:08:43 am »
Bloody hell :_ cant we get any peace? :w

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2010, 07:18:08 am »
Just a reminder before you have your secret meeting:

Small block stroker!
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.