Fuel Pump Leak

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Fuel Pump Leak  (Read 1411 times)

Offline sykmat

• Stallion
Fuel Pump Leak
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:33:23 pm »
I have a leak at my fuel pump on the side with the screw in pipe from the carby.It was fine before I disconnected it but now it wants to leak. I dont think normal plumbing thread tape will work due to it being fuel. Any ideas guys?

Regards

Matt.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"

Offline dinahmow

• Pony
Fuel Pump Leak
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:05:34 pm »
This connection is an SAE male inverted flare.  The end of the tube is flared out and then rolled back in (called a 'double flare')  Take it out again and make sure the tube is not split where it has been rolled inwards.  If you then re-fit the connection, move it back and forth in the fuel pump and tighten it VERY CAREFULLY, it may seal up again.  Watch you don't strip the thread in the pump as it is soldered in and cannot be changed so you are up for a new pump. I had the same problem two weeks ago and managed to fix it by wrapping thread tape around the nut so it would hold in the damaged pump thread. Fuel won't bother the teflon tape. So far, so good but I know it is not forever.  If this doesn't work,   some of the parts suppliers may be able to make up a new one otherwise go into your nearest ENZED or PIRTEK shop and get them to create a new one to the existing diameter (5/16" probably) and shape.

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
Fuel Pump Leak
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:29:05 pm »
I think the yellow gas tape should be okay for fuel.
The white stuff probably won't cut it.
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
Fuel Pump Leak
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:43:08 pm »
I don't recommend any type of thread tape. It only takes a little to to lodge in a jet and give you a reason to strip the carby.  Pull the fitting off and rectify the issue correctly.