Aircon car and customs???

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Aircon car and customs???  (Read 6686 times)

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:39:58 pm »
OK - I'm trying to tick off all the things I have to do before my cars arrive so it'll be smooth sailing through customs ha-ha. From customs website I've got a note about "pre-charged equipment" ie aircon, and some sort of rigmerole related to that. Website's not very helpful - has anyone had experience with bringing in a car with aircon please?
Rick

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 05:52:58 pm »
Yeah, mine had to be degassed B4 it left USA.:(
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:05:26 pm »
Degassed by a professional & signed cert saying it was done. If already on the water, say nothing (like dont even mention) as some get through no problem, luck of the draw.

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:10:43 pm »
Rules and Regulations for exporting vehicles to Australia with A/C units

Air conditioning gasses and systems come under the control of the Australian Department of Environment and Heritage, and those fitted to vehicles/trailers fall under very strictly controls. This is a technical area of the import process but the department have not issued specific forms to enable compliance, only a set of guidelines, as follows:
•   If the car is not fitted with air conditioning a certificate from the shipper of the car to state the car is not fitted with air conditioning is required.
•   If the car is fitted with a CFC air conditioning system the whole system MUST be completely removed before shipment. CFC units are strictly prohibited. Alternatively it can be converted to HCFC before shipment but a certificate from a certified air conditioning engineer MUST be supplied – see below
•   HCFC air conditioning units MUST be degassed with the dryer and Schreader valve removed by a certified engineer. The engineer must supply a certificate on their business letterhead to state that all gas has been removed (it MUST also name the type of gas) and that the Schreader valve and the dryer are removed.
•   An old system which has been removed from the car and is placed in the trunk of the car is NOT allowed without a certificate as it could be a CFC system and therefore prohibited.
•   Units cannot be removed or degassed after the car arrives in Australia. Should a car arrive without acceptable certification the costs and repercussions can be devastating.
As a service to our clients, we can have the existing CFC unit Degassed and the Schreader valve disconnected for $250.00. This will also include a letter of certification from a qualified engineer which will be sent along with the necessary paperwork to the receiving agent in Australia for customs clearance.
Air conditioning systems and their certification, is becoming more and more of a challenge for exporting cars and now ranks as important as the Import Permit for the car. For more information call us on 562 408 6677 and/or visit:  

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 06:13:09 pm »
More info on this link:http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/ozone/licences/index.html

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 06:16:03 pm »
Originally posted by Rock65
Rules and Regulations for exporting vehicles to Australia with A/C units

Air conditioning gasses and systems come under the control of the Australian Department of Environment and Heritage, and those fitted to vehicles/trailers fall under very strictly controls. This is a technical area of the import process but the department have not issued specific forms to enable compliance, only a set of guidelines, as follows:
•   If the car is not fitted with air conditioning a certificate from the shipper of the car to state the car is not fitted with air conditioning is required.
•   If the car is fitted with a CFC air conditioning system the whole system MUST be completely removed before shipment. CFC units are strictly prohibited. Alternatively it can be converted to HCFC before shipment but a certificate from a certified air conditioning engineer MUST be supplied – see below
•   HCFC air conditioning units MUST be degassed with the dryer and Schreader valve removed by a certified engineer. The engineer must supply a certificate on their business letterhead to state that all gas has been removed (it MUST also name the type of gas) and that the Schreader valve and the dryer are removed.
•   An old system which has been removed from the car and is placed in the trunk of the car is NOT allowed without a certificate as it could be a CFC system and therefore prohibited.
•   Units cannot be removed or degassed after the car arrives in Australia. Should a car arrive without acceptable certification the costs and repercussions can be devastating.
As a service to our clients, we can have the existing CFC unit Degassed and the Schreader valve disconnected for $250.00. This will also include a letter of certification from a qualified engineer which will be sent along with the necessary paperwork to the receiving agent in Australia for customs clearance.
Air conditioning systems and their certification, is becoming more and more of a challenge for exporting cars and now ranks as important as the Import Permit for the car. For more information call us on 562 408 6677 and/or visit:  

This is where it gets really stupid. I can still get R12 in Australia & plenty of it. I get the replacement when I am doing the A/C but always asked if I want to put the "real" stuff in.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 06:32:10 pm »
Yep, read the www.environment.gov website, the most ridiculously wordy thing I've ever seen. Aimed at the aircon profession, no-one else could understand it that's why I appealed to the helpful and common sense folk here!

Yes, suspect my cars are on the water (allegedly). All I can say to all other posts is "OUCH" they certainly weren't decommissioned to my knowledge. Kerry I'm with you mate, maybe just say nothing but to be honest I don't trust my luck.

Rock 65 where was that quote taken from? I'd like to read it, I gather the service offered to clients for $250 was in the US prior to shipment? Sounds like I'm gonna get screwed.

I've tried ringing the dept. concerned, no answer, too late with the time difference from W.A. so I'm going to sweat till Monday. This is not sounding good. Someone cheer me up !
Rick

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 06:58:33 pm »
Hi  Rick,this is what was sent to me by Shumachers shipping in the US. Sorry that is there phone no.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 07:03:17 pm »
Originally posted by ponyride
Yep, read the www.environment.gov website, the most ridiculously wordy thing I've ever seen. Aimed at the aircon profession, no-one else could understand it that's why I appealed to the helpful and common sense folk here!

Yes, suspect my cars are on the water (allegedly). All I can say to all other posts is "OUCH" they certainly weren't decommissioned to my knowledge. Kerry I'm with you mate, maybe just say nothing but to be honest I don't trust my luck.

Rock 65 where was that quote taken from? I'd like to read it, I gather the service offered to clients for $250 was in the US prior to shipment? Sounds like I'm gonna get screwed.

I've tried ringing the dept. concerned, no answer, too late with the time difference from W.A. so I'm going to sweat till Monday. This is not sounding good. Someone cheer me up !

I have had a few through in the last year no certs & no probs. However my F100 is coming later this year (couple of months) so I will get it done & signed off.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 07:21:36 pm »
Originally posted by Rock65
this is what was sent to me by Shumachers shipping in the US.

Rock65 I started out with Schumachers, don't remember why I changed, maybe I should've stuck with them. I still reckon the environment website makes no sense, even after reading it again.

I hope I have the same luck as you Kerry. From what I do understand, July 2010 is a significant time after which importing gassed units is a no-no, prior to that it's vague.

I'll see what Monday brings after I phone them and I'll let you all know.
Rick

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 07:27:51 pm »
 This is not sounding good. Someone cheer me up !

Just tell them there is an eskimo in the car so you didnt degas the aircon because it needed to stay cool for the ride over...

You may have some quarantine issues with this one though :+

[img=150x292]http://www.costumesunlimited.ca/images/yhst-17402405590461_2067_27199938.jpg[/img]

Offline dalex

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 07:48:38 pm »
I just got a receipt from local AC company with the VIN number quoted saying "Remove Freon for Export". It was only $38 as they get to keep the gas which is of value to them.

You may be in the deep end with this as I believe they regard it as a hazardous import. May be better to do as Ozbilt said and say nothing.

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 12:22:39 am »
Plead ignorance!

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 12:46:25 am »
Originally posted by Foresight
 This is not sounding good. Someone cheer me up !

Just tell them there is an eskimo in the car so you didnt degas the aircon because it needed to stay cool for the ride over...

You may have some quarantine issues with this one though :+

[img=150x292]http://www.costumesunlimited.ca/images/yhst-17402405590461_2067_27199938.jpg[/img]

Foresight that even beats a nurse!

I'm agreeing with all the advice, stay mum,plead ignorance. Airconditioner? That's an airconditioner?I'll be buggered!
Can't believe I stuffed up so badly.

Rick

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 04:43:02 am »
think its $3000 for the lic in Oz if ya get caught though....then ya have to pay some fella to come out and do it ...theres a cupla hundy....then it has to be RE inspected...pretty expensive process

If I was you I would ask peterp to delete this posting as customs allways check the forums to see what activity is floating

probably a bit late now but would be a good idea

hope it works out for ya...and if not, I,ll take the escimo off ya hands  :(

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 05:01:51 pm »
Originally posted by Shermatt

delete this posting as customs allways check the forums to see what activity is floating

probably a bit late now but would be a good idea

hope it works out for ya...and if not, I,ll take the escimo off ya hands  :(

Good advice thanks Matt but jeez, sounds like we're in an Eastern Bloc nation doesn't it?

Have to keep an eye on the subversives and criminals on this forum.....
;w
Rick

Offline Pedro

• Worked
  • Name: Peter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 10:05:33 pm »
My '70 Mach 1 coming next month already had the right gas (blue cap) yet it still had to be purged to meet OZ demands.