1967 Shelby Fibreglass Kits

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 1967 Shelby Fibreglass Kits  (Read 3113 times)

Offline m67gl

• Stallion
« on: February 14, 2010, 09:07:59 pm »
Been looking at finishing off the front half of my 67 shelby clone (has R-type valance, billet grill and GT hood scoop at the moment).  Or maybe buying a project and adding a complete kit.  There are many kit suppliers out there and would be interested if anyone has had positive experiences fitting a particular kit.  
Tony Branda - Rebel - Stangaholics - Maier Racing, other suggestions?
Hood and nosecone would be my preferred option as I like my fastback, it has no rust, and so far has been a good reliable driver.  
Missed out on a long hood and nosecone on evilbay in Perth last week,  someone hit the BIN while I was chasing a shipping quote, bugger.  Anyone got another for sale ???

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:42:58 pm »
Have a look on the Californoa Pony Car website, and see if there is anything you like?

www.calponycars.com
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 01:05:02 am »
I just dropped $2700 at Tony Branda (happy staff) for a complete kit on thursday.

And $200 on ebay for a tail panel

will let you know if you really need to buy all the BS they sell ya with the kit and how well it fits up

Im also going to write down all the parts numbers from the kit and make templates of all the fabricated parts

let ya know in 3 days once the kit is fitted

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:16:59 am »
Tony branda & Cobra Automotive have the only fibreglass that fits without massive reworking. Both are East Coast suppliers.

http://www.cobraautomotive.com/

All the other brands took more labour to install than the product cost & I have fitted most of them. There is nothing on the West Coast of the US that has any quality & you will pay for the quality from the East Coast.

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:47:26 am »
Thats what I was hearing aswell Kerry

Went with Branda as I want as close to an easy fit as possible (when working with fibreglass)

Heard there kits fit best without to much :_

will let you know how it goes on tuesday ;2

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 04:08:11 am »
Originally posted by Shermatt
Thats what I was hearing aswell Kerry

Went with Branda as I want as close to an easy fit as possible (when working with fibreglass)

Heard there kits fit best without to much :_

will let you know how it goes on tuesday ;2

Yeah, we use Branda exclusively unless I want a specific non original part, then Cobra Automotive usually has what I need.

Here is an "R" model type nose (Cobra Automotive) that fits a 67/8. I loved this one & it bolted straight up (it was also their first one of these sold).

That is a Maier Racing hood on the car & even when adjusted down at the back (was not fitted correctly when that pic was taken) it still fitted like crap & had to have a lot of rework.

I carry all sorts of fibreglass hood springs in my inventory so I get the hoods fitting just right without too much pressure on the hinge mounting area. They are copied off original Comet & Shelby hood springs for fibreglass hoods & I get them made for different weights. Then we also use a prop rod for safety.

Fibreglass is still "green" for a long time after curing & any manufacturer that is trying to get volume will pull them from the mould too quickly, or juice up the brew with faster curing hardener (also creating too much heat), allowing the fibreglass to distort while post curing. It also takes a good operator to get even thickness in the layup (chopper gun or by hand) & thus preventing hot spots.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 07:04:56 am »
Who is the supplier to Branda?
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 07:11:27 am »
2 secs....nah!...had it written down in my notes.

will let you know 2moro when the parts roll up...its normally on the box

Offline m67gl

• Stallion
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 05:39:52 pm »
Thanks for the input.  Looking forward to how you go with the kit shermatt.  Pics pending ??.  What's the difference between fibreglass and vacuum formed?  They offer both at Branda, prices are comparable.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 05:42:25 pm »
Vacuum formed sucks.....

Sorry, my bad joke! I have no idea, I just couldn't resist!
I'd love to hear the answer from someone who knows!
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline m67gl

• Stallion
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 05:49:39 pm »
:+
gave me a laugh.  agree with you on the tailights as well.  P155ed I didn't get that gear from perth. Maybe they wanna turn a quick buck and sell it to me whilst I'm keen ?  :a

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 05:58:35 pm »
What gear in Perth?
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 12:30:51 am »
Originally posted by m67gl
Thanks for the input.  Looking forward to how you go with the kit shermatt.  Pics pending ??.  What's the difference between fibreglass and vacuum formed?  They offer both at Branda, prices are comparable.

Thats all Branda sells now....the other stuff on there site they dont carry anymore

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 04:08:25 am »
Originally posted by m67gl
  What's the difference between fibreglass and vacuum formed?  

Fibreglass is the common name for both as it is the "fibre" that is in the resin to give it strength.

The hand laid up panels are really called GRP (glass reinforced plastic) or FRP (fibre reinforced plastic) depending on what country you are in or what book you read.

Appearance, it is smooth on one side & rough in texture on the other.

GRP is laid up in a mould using hand lay up (applying mat & resing by brush & roller) or by chopper gun (a tool that shoots resin & cuts up glass fibre at the same time). GRP, in the automotive sector, is usually a polyester resin, same as what is used in plastic filler (Bondo, bog whatever). Repaired by hand layup polyester resin & glass fibre.

Vacuum formed fibreglass is called SMC (sheet moulded compound) & is formed in a similar way plastic parts are made. That is a fully encased mould, the resin & glass fibres are pulled through by a vacuum process.

Appearance, it is smoooth on both sides.

The resin commonly used here is Vinyl Ester, sometimes Epoxy. Repaired by using vinyl ester resin or epoxy & glass fibre.

This is also now used in aerospace making carbon fibre & Kevlar parts. The Airbus (Scarebus !! I hate em) is a good example of SMC flying.

Talking Ford & Shelby now, if you look at the fibreglass on a 1965-67 Shelby, you will see it is rough in texture on the underside. that is because it is hand laid up (GRP) & was correct for those years. From 1968 Ford used AO Smith to build the Shelby's & they had started using vacuum formed fibreglass (SMC). So from 1968 on you will see the fibreglass is smooth underneath as on top.

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 07:35:48 pm »
Kerry, you're just full of it!:(