Rack and Pinion

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Rack and Pinion  (Read 2350 times)

Offline fman

• Pony
Rack and Pinion
« on: January 17, 2010, 07:51:21 pm »
Hi,

I have a 67 289 LHD Convertible auto with power steering.

What is the current thinking on rack and pinion conversions? Is RRS still favoured and has the after sales improved? Do they have any approval in NSW for their kits?
Can I use the existing pump?
Is the turning circle reduced?
Should I be looking at anyone else?

Thanks

Neil
I

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »

The Total Control Products R&P is the only one I would fit & I have a lot of expereince in fitting both the TCP & the RRS.

I have only today experienced the new TCP R&P & the turning circle on the new one is hardly comprimised. With the RRS you have to fit their whole front suspension (struts, yuck) to regain the turning circle.

However may I ask why you want a rack? If for converting to RHD, then yes that is a good option, if leaving LHD, then you are spending money for no gain. Nothing steers as well as a well set up Mustang.

Offline fman

• Pony
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:21:21 pm »
I have replaced all the bushes and ball joints in the front suspension. I have set up the castor, camber and toe. This all produced a massive improvement in the feel of the car.

When you drive straight on a smooth road  or are settled into a corner, it is fine. Transitioning between the two states is when it feels unsettled (or unsettling!).
 I think it comes from the power steering valve/steering box design. If you hit a pothole the wheel gets deflected and then the power steering reacts to correct it, combining the movement in the PAS system with clearances in the steering box, gives a feeling of lack of control.  The reality is probably that the car doesn’t deviate much but it doesn’t inspire confidence, likewise when you are changing direction rapidly. I am hoping that the rack will remove that feeling.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:30:33 pm »
Originally posted by fman
I have replaced all the bushes and ball joints in the front suspension. I have set up the castor, camber and toe. This all produced a massive improvement in the feel of the car.

When you drive straight on a smooth road  or are settled into a corner, it is fine. Transitioning between the two states is when it feels unsettled (or unsettling!).
 I think it comes from the power steering valve/steering box design. If you hit a pothole the wheel gets deflected and then the power steering reacts to correct it, combining the movement in the PAS system with clearances in the steering box, gives a feeling of lack of control.  The reality is probably that the car doesn’t deviate much but it doesn’t inspire confidence, likewise when you are changing direction rapidly. I am hoping that the rack will remove that feeling.

The rack will not help that, only give your pocket that empty feeling.

What are the wheelalignment spects that were done to your car? Sounds like it may have been set to factory specs & that is for cross ply tyres.

Offline fman

• Pony
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 08:46:59 pm »
I have don't have them to hand at the moment, it wasn't the standard figures. What do you recommend?
I understand how playing with different toe castor, camber settling can change the way the car feels. This feels much more fundamental than that, it is more like the steering wheel has been temporarily disconnected from the wheels.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:58:25 pm »
I have don't have them to hand at the moment, it wasn't the standard figures. What do you recommend?
I understand how playing with different toe castor, camber settling can change the way the car feels. This feels much more fundamental than that, it is more like the steering wheel has been temporarily disconnected from the wheels.

Where are you located in Sydney? I am around until Friday (cut off Thursday evening) if you want to come for a drive to my place. I can go for a ride with you & give an opinion.

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 09:05:34 pm »
Is the Mustang 11 systems (like Heidts etc) any better Kerry?

Fman, perhaps a Borgeson box will counter your problems with the box and valve setup, as it is integral, and basicly the system Ford used locally upto XF (and upto 92 in the Ute). Or even the Flaming River roller box? (original setup, but new, roller box).
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline fman

• Pony
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:14:02 pm »
Originally posted by ozbilt

Where are you located in Sydney? I am around until Friday (cut off Thursday evening) if you want to come for a drive to my place. I can go for a ride with you & give an opinion.

That would be great, where abouts are you? I am in the northern beaches.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 09:14:44 pm »
Originally posted by BLKPNY

Fman, perhaps a Borgeson box will counter your problems with the box and valve setup, as it is integral, and basicly the system Ford used locally upto XF (and upto 92 in the Ute). Or even the Flaming River roller box? (original setup, but new, roller box).

The Mustang II is not good, I do not even like them in hot rods. They were a cheap front end back in 74 for a cheap car. In early Mustangs & hot rods they ride like go karts.

The problems discussed above seem to me to be coming from the power steer valve. The test I would do would be to feel if the box is ok from lock to lock, but its a "feel" thing, hard to explain & could be totally different once I see the car.

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 09:16:25 pm »
Ozbuilt like to feel::

Offline fman

• Pony
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 09:16:31 pm »
Originally posted by BLKPNY

The question that perhaps I should be asking is...are all mustangs like this, and is there something wrong with my car?

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 09:16:40 pm »
Originally posted by ozbilt

That would be great, where abouts are you? I am in the northern beaches.

Douglas Park, near Camden, so a nice drive. The rewards are always a warm reception & a cup of tea of course. Many here wiill vouch for that...:w

Offline fman

• Pony
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 09:21:05 pm »
Sounds like a good run out. Can you U2U me your phone number and we could arrange a time.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 09:25:01 pm »
Sounds like a good run out. Can you U2U me your phone number and we could arrange a time.

Click on my user name, it is all there.

Offline j1autotech

• Worked
  • MOCA VIC member 1828
  • Name: Justin
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 09:40:05 pm »
Kerry makes an awesome cuppa.

Have a few and not only will you be full of tea but will be full of knowledge from a bit of time chatting to the master of Mustangs.

J1

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Rack and Pinion
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 09:51:36 pm »
Originally posted by j1autotech
Kerry makes an awesome cuppa.

Have a few and not only will you be full of tea but will be full of knowledge from a bit of time chatting to the master of Mustangs.

J1

Hey j1, found a Saphire that I will attempt to cut tomorrow with my sledge hammer, will take pics & start a new thread. :+