Restoring a 66 coupe

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Restoring a 66 coupe  (Read 12975 times)

Offline MustangMedic

• Worked
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 03:34:39 pm »
Should we rename the thread "Helpin a sister out" what do you all rekon.
Ashley(aka The Medic)
Always work smarter not harder....

Offline Fifi_Sutho

• Pony
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 07:36:07 pm »
Hehe you guys are great....  I will be trying to get the pics of my camera tonight and putting them in photobucket...

Cheers for all your assistance..

MWAH!!

Fifi

http://s483.photobucket.com/albums/rr193/Fifi1970/66%20Mustang%20Coupe/

There they are....The Beautiful Christine....

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 08:42:03 pm »
Originally posted by soc123_au
Before you go too far in pulling it apart I would suggest you get some pics up & seek some advise on how far you need to go. These sort of projects can be easy to get lost in if you get too deep without the right help. Bowen Mountain is only 20 to 30 mins from me, I would be happy to come & have a look at it for you.

In a previous post 66RedRagtop mentioned sandwich bags, or as I say "bag'n'tag" or "labelling" everything. My son is a refinisher & has had a dismantled vehicle at my house for about 8 months, everything was "bagged'n'tagged" but when I helped him move it yesterday, he said "dad, I just hope I remember how it all goes together". It is so important to label everything. I was trained by Qantas back in 1970 as a Airframe Mechanical Engineer, (fancy name for grease monkey), everything we took apart was tagged, so much easier when it's got to be reassembled.
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 06:59:32 am »
Christine has some really nice options, 8 Track, Air, Rally Pac.  Real nice.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 09:57:07 pm »
Originally posted by GT Sally
 I was trained by Qantas back in 1970 as a Airframe Mechanical Engineer, (fancy name for grease monkey), everything we took apart was tagged, so much easier when it's got to be reassembled.

Yep, they were the good ol days when planes were actually rivetted & bolted together, not glued like the "ScareBus".

I am a 747 guy, luv em. UA870 tomorrow.

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 09:59:07 pm »
Have a good trip Mate should be a bit cooler for you..;1

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 10:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by MustangNut
Have a good trip Mate should be a bit cooler for you..;1

Weird packing bulky warm clothing (only had summer stuff over there) on a day like today.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 10:11:10 pm »
Fifi, if you happen to get Steve over & come up with anything that I can source, send me a message (actually I will see it here) & I will see what I can find.

Offline Fifi_Sutho

• Pony
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 07:29:02 am »
Thanks Kerry, muchly appreciated....

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 10:54:00 am »
I am going to hook up with Fifi & have a look at the car when I get back from the Gold Coast. I will let you know if we need you to track anything down Kerry.

Offline Fifi_Sutho

• Pony
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 04:51:25 pm »
Hehe....thats where I am right now, the Gold Coast.... Hope you have a great holiday Steve...

Cheers

Fifi

Offline caretaker65

• Worked
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 08:13:24 pm »
Steve,

Do you need a project manager ... haven't much on at the moment between "hooken' up a brother" & Project Casper should be able to squeeze another one in. :(

Bummer its not in Melb

Cheers, Geoff

Offline nicco

• Thoroughbred
    • http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Nicks67s/
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 01:52:27 pm »
Hi Fifi,

I bought the Mustang Restoration handbook by Taylor & Wilson years ago and it is what sucked me into wanting then buying a Mustang. Have you tried Amazon for books? I've bought a few books from there and they keep emailing me with suggestions for related books some of which I have gone on to get. I hate to say it but mostly I use Amazon instead of local shops because it is much cheaper especially if you get a few books at once and the range is much better.

Offline Fifi_Sutho

• Pony
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 03:24:51 pm »
Thanks for that Nicco.... Muchly appreciated...

Am glad to have started on her, now cant wait to see her in her glory...

Offline Fifi_Sutho

• Pony
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 09:38:13 am »
Slowly pulling her apart.  Theres quite a lot that needs replacing, but still some of her that I can keep.  Which is what I was wanting to do...

The upholstery is in excellent condition apart from 2 very small holes.  Damn shame about that... Didnt want to have to replace it because of something minor..  Oh the joys of restoring a car...

Nothing but the best for Christine though.. She deserves it and so does my Hubby...

Once again thanks for all your advice and kind words...

Updates with pictures etc later..

Fifi

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2010, 09:45:48 am »
Originally posted by Fifi_Sutho
Slowly pulling her apart.  Theres quite a lot that needs replacing, but still some of her that I can keep.  Which is what I was wanting to do...

The upholstery is in excellent condition apart from 2 very small holes.  dang shame about that... Didnt want to have to replace it because of something minor..  Oh the joys of restoring a car...

Nothing but the best for Christine though.. She deserves it and so does my Hubby...

Once again thanks for all your advice and kind words...

Updates with pictures etc later..

Fifi

Pictures will help us also as "they say a thousand words".

If the holes are that minor, then I would just call it "patina" & enjoy that part without worrying too much about it. :(

Getting the body squared away (rust dents etc) is important, then the paint. Brakes come next before the drivetrain. The upholstery would be last on my list as it looked like it would scrub up well.

Enjoy the project & if I may, I would love to cruise on up when I get back from this trip.

Offline Fifi_Sutho

• Pony
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 03:12:20 pm »
Thanks for that Kerry

Come on up when you get back... that would be great....

Have a safe and enjoyable trip...

Offline Cage

• Worked
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 01:34:03 pm »
Fifi,
What's the latest with Christine? How you holding up?

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 04:56:22 pm »
Fifi, I just saw the thread again & remembered I need to come & check this out for you. Give me a call when you are ready either on 9673 4500 or 0414 752 461.

Offline Fifi_Sutho

• Pony
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 06:44:27 pm »
Hey Guys

Yeah Ive pulled some of her apart.  Shes not to bad considering...  Am taking it slow and making sure I peruse each piece to see what needs to be replaced and what can be salvaged..

I will take some more pics of her and post them up on my photobucket...

Cheers

Fifi

Offline MustangMedic

• Worked
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 06:55:01 pm »
Hey Fifi.
It may be worth getting hold of a couple of spare parts cattledogs,and you can then have a reference guide for parts availability and cost. I sometimes pull things apart and whilst in bits,  use the cattledogs to help me decide what else to replace whilst it is all apart and if something is missing it identifys the part in question. Just my thoughts of the world on mustang restoration.
Cheers.
Medic
Always work smarter not harder....

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
Restoring a 66 coupe
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 07:18:01 pm »
Originally posted by MustangMedic
Hey Fifi.
It may be worth getting hold of a couple of spare parts cattledogs,and you can then have a reference guide for parts availability and cost. I sometimes pull things apart and whilst in bits,  use the cattledogs to help me decide what else to replace whilst it is all apart and if something is missing it identifys the part in question. Just my thoughts of the world on mustang restoration.
Cheers.
Medic

Hey MustangMedic & anyone else who wants to listen, I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, now retired, that's why they stay in the air, well most of them!!!
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary