Technical & General Discussion Area > Technical - General

Aussie 9inch Diffs

(1/2) > >>

RocketScientist:
Hey Guys,
I know lots about American 9inch diffs - dates/cars/numbers etc. but nothing about the Auuise connection.
Does anyone have information/references on 9inch diffs in Australian Fords?
Things like:
- years and models they were used in
- ratios
- casting numbers (were they the same as Yankee ones?)
- where built

Any info would be appreciated.
Brad.

BLKPNY:
I know a little....

XW=XY was a 59" WMS-WMS, XA - XC was 61"
Disc brake diffs were H/D housings,  (tapered from pumpkin to tubes) and drum brakes were light duty, (more round pumpkin with tubes out the sides).
The last car to have a 9" was the XC, when the XC finished, and the XD started, Ford were still building P6 LTD's (Rolls Royce Fronts) and they were fitted with the XD 28 sp 4 pinion BW, as fitted to the 351 XD's, in 79.
The first disc brakes were the XA GT, and Landau/P5 LTD.

According to my book on Falcons:
XR GT 8" 2.93 LSD
XT GT 8" 3.00 LSD
XW GT 9" 3.25 LSD 28SP
XW GTHO 9" 3.00 LSD 28SP
XW GTHO PHASE 2 3.5 DETROIT LOCKER NODULAR DAYTONA CARRIER 31SP
XY GT 3.25 STD, 3.0 & 2.75 OPT, LSD 28SP
XY GTHO 3.25, 3.5 OR 3.9 NODULAR DAYTONA CARRIER, DETROIT LOCKER, 31SP
XA/XB/XC MAN, 3.0 STD, 2.75 OPT LSD 28SP
XA/XB/XC AUTO 2.75 STD 3.0 OPT LSD 28SP
Optional ratios weren't available on standard models, like Falcons, Fairlanes etc, they were all 2.75's in XA-XC auto, 3.0 man, XW 3.25, XY Man 3.00, Auto 2.75, ZD 3.25,

66RedRagtop:
And the pop up headlight LTD of 73 -75 had a 9" LSD, which was the first Oz car with rear discs.

It had the 351 GT 4V motor, but with a mild cam, and was a brilliant tow car with plenty of room for the anklebiters.

BLKPNY:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by 66RedRagtop
And the pop up headlight LTD of 73 -75 had a 9" LSD, which was the first Oz car with rear discs.

It had the 351 GT 4V motor, but with a mild cam, and was a brilliant tow car with plenty of room for the anklebiters.

--- End quote ---

The XA GT RPO 83 was the first Aussie car with rear discs.
The P5 LTD had the XB GT Auto engine, The XB GT Auto had 2V heads, and 4 barrel carby, whereas the Manual had the proper 4V heads.
The P5 LTD was a real hack job, under the plush exterior. The rear doors were 2 door shells cut-n-shut, the roof was 2 roof skins cut-n-shut, hence the padded vinyl roof, the rear screen was a fibreglass insert in the standard hole, even the tailshaft was a wagon one, with an extension!
I had both a P5 and a P6, lovely cars, with more space in the back than the front. The P6 dash was cool too, with a Lincoln style speedo, with the floating bubble moving left to right with your speed.

jiffy:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by BLKPNY
The XA GT RPO 83 was the first Aussie car with rear discs.
--- End quote ---

RPO 83 didn't have rear discs...

First GT to have them was XB I think, but I know RPO 83 had drums. I think Landau or LTD was first Aussie Ford to have them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version