Mustang Australia

Author Topic: V6  (Read 8355 times)

Offline FST68

• Worked
V6
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 07:19:34 pm »
Originally posted by jusTANG
Originally posted by FST68
It is so true about the desire of going back to your first car.

Nope sorry will never consider going back to my fist car, was a big mistake from the first time I saw it.

I have started my plan to get my sons into the hobby, I am saving to buy them both a stang each. should have saved enough by the time their old enough to drive if they still can in 15+ year

:i i was doing the same thoughts but by the time mine are old enough Stangs may be worth way to much :+ youngest is 3 oldest is 9 and the boy slap in the middle.......plan still sounds nice [/quote]

Yeah good point prices will hopefully be a lot higher then, with my oldest being 2 and the youngest only 7 week, have to change the plan silightly, will need to save quicker and by 2 cars to be restored asap. then get me boys into it by getting them to help with the restoration and improvements while they grow up. Now all I will need to do is convince the misses this is the bast way, that shouldn't be a problem:+:+:+

Offline shteve65

• Pony
V6
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 10:23:50 am »
Kerry, idea sounds great. But I do believe that most people think mustangs are out of pocket reach, whilst so many P’ platers drive around in $20,000+ evo’s and wrx when you can find yourself an nice coup under $10,000 and turn it into a weekend hobby and possibly having your daily driver. As I’m planning to do myslef, well in processes of.

Iv wanted a mustang since I was 13 and now ‘Finally’ after good coin savin working with Shermatt on getting my first stang.

Kids just need to be exposed to these cars more. Its only in the last 2 years have I started to see a mustang maybe once a week. Its just this whole ‘drift’ phenomena at the moment that has sucked there interest. So take your kinds to more mustang and muscle car shows. Stang owners, drive you cars more often, drive them every day! lol :+

Offline GT Sally

• Blue Printed
  • MOCA NSW member since 2008
  • Name: Gazza
V6
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 01:53:44 pm »
Originally posted by shteve65
Kerry, idea sounds great. .......................................
Kids just need to be exposed to these cars more. Its only in the last 2 years have I started to see a mustang maybe once a week. Its just this whole ‘drift’ phenomena at the moment that has sucked there interest. So take your kinds to more mustang and muscle car shows. Stang owners, drive you cars more often, drive them every day! lol :+

I drive mine every day and it's amazing how many kids under the age of ten pull their mum's dress or give their dad a big nudge and then point towards the Mustang.........you can read their lips, I then give a honk if I'm close enough and wave.....they LOVE it!!!!!!
If you haven't grown up & matured by the age of 55, (65 now & nothin has changed) YOU DON'T HAVE TOO.....Gary

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
V6
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 08:23:23 am »
Latest brainwave of mine is to throw out the idea of the Aussie inline 6 & try the US V6 in its place. Probably would not only fit better but will fit in more to the "green" idea that I have expressed in another thread. I also feel I can get those engine/trans combinations at a much better price as the inline 6 in Australia were around the $4K mark.

Offline dalex

• Worked
V6
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 10:24:47 am »
Originally posted by ozbilt
Latest brainwave of mine is to throw out the idea of the Aussie inline 6 & try the US V6 in its place.  

Good idea on that, the youth can then say it has a v-mumble in it. I have a 14 year old boy and have been given some thought to an option like this with a 4 speed as a learn to drive and car the kids can borrow as they get a license.

Dale

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
V6
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 11:05:00 am »
Kerry
the V6s you talk about ,injected or carby. Carby would be a lot easier to instal with a lot less hassles for a youngster to maintain
What do you think a motor and tranny would cost landed here.
Might keep my grandkids eyes off my stangs for a few more years ,
Stormin

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
V6
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 11:15:22 am »
Originally posted by stormin
Kerry
the V6s you talk about ,injected or carby. Carby would be a lot easier to instal with a lot less hassles for a youngster to maintain
What do you think a motor and tranny would cost landed here.
Might keep my grandkids eyes off my stangs for a few more years ,
Stormin

I was thinking about a "drop in V6/5 speed" with the EFI & computer intact. The wiring harness is no big deal (I have done a few, inc. my Avatar) & I imagine you could "chip" the computer.

Best of all it meets current emmission laws, run it with all the "smog" add on's, so will be "green".

I probably will not be bringing these engine/trans units across separately, as that would be a nightmare in itself (warranty etc) but looking to have these cars basically assembled before they get here, some add on's fitted here later if needed. The main market will be the USA & possibly China (as the car market there is growing at 25%)

Offline scott66stang

• Worked
  • Account Suspended
    • http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6440&page=1
V6
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 11:22:06 am »
I think thats a better idea Kerry , modern motor in oldskool skin the youngsters would like . Once the technical side of things are soughted , fitment and knowledge of what is needed on a proto type , it will be an easier conversion.
I considered this myself before the 5.0l efi as mine was originally a six , but i didnt have access to a Ford V6. Plenty of cheap commy V6's but i just couldnt do it.

Offline 65pony

• Thoroughbred
V6
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 11:41:20 am »
It sounds like a half decent plan Kerry. Their are plenty of young guys round that would love to get a mustang but firstly they don't know how? and secondly they think that all mustangs are V8's...

Mine has a small 170ci in it at the moment with a 4 speed toploader. It does the job and doesn't sound too bad either with dual exhausts. I'm currently building a 250ci with a 2V head and some other electrical mods. This engine will wipe any stock 289 all over the road!! And when the time comes to finally get off my P's I might even chuck a turbo on her and run some serious boost to keep up with the big blocks.

I use mine as a weekend car and purely for driving it when I feel like it, Their would have to be alot of modifications to make it a daily driver such as power steer, disc brakes, proper seat belts and other little odds and ends. But their is defiently a market out their for it!!

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
V6
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 11:48:34 am »
Originally posted by scott66stang
I think thats a better idea Kerry , modern motor in oldskool skin the youngsters would like . Once the technical side of things are soughted , fitment and knowledge of what is needed on a proto type , it will be an easier conversion.
I considered this myself before the 5.0l efi as mine was originally a six , but i didnt have access to a Ford V6. Plenty of cheap commy V6's but i just couldnt do it.

Thats the idea, get a prototype on the road that I can play with & get right, then put it into production. The people I am talking to are thinking at least 10 a month once we get moving. As I said the main market will be the US, followed by China then Australia. However I see China being the biggest market & once we get going, production would have to be ramped up.

This will not dry up the availability of Mustang coupes (605,772 coupes produced in 67/8, so a lot still to choose from) as we will also be doing Camaro's & other "pony cars" of that era.

I really see this as the only way the hobby will survive, both from a "global warming" & "young driver laws" perspective.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
V6
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 12:07:14 pm »
Great idea. My 4 young sons are all into old school muscule cars. They are all keen to build one so I'm all for giving them a hand. My father bought me my first car when I was 15 y.o. A '68 cooper S.
A T code Mustang is still cheap to buy and with a 5 lug wheel & brake upgrade they are good thing. I like the injected Auzzie 6. Cheap, alloy 24 valve roller rocker head, and can be taken back to cabie if to make them simple if you like. Like most young guys, it would have to run 18s with a bit of bling but at least they would have the passion and have a car that you wouldn't mind in you driveway.

He, with the most toys wins.

Offline fas66coupe

• Stallion
V6
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 12:39:22 pm »
this is something that i am concerned with, With the laws as tight as they are it is too risky to be driving a v8 with p plates = heafty fine and 3 out of our 5 demerit points lost.

What i don't get is why us new drivers are not allowed to drive a low powered small block v8, whilst we can drive say a 195kw ve sv6 or a 195kw ford xr6 with more power.

How much work is there involved with converting a v8 to a inline 6 or v6, then back to a v8 a few years later?

by the way professor ozbilt, fantastic idea!
- Man this guy can drive!
- What, what?!
- It’s probably mostly the car

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
V6
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 12:49:13 pm »
Easy to convert back as the method of install will be done so that the "main frame" of the coupe body remains intact. In other words what is being fitted will be altered to fit the stock Mustang frame.

The idea is this, 67/8 coupe, add the second torque box & collapsable steering column. 90's Mustang disc brake rear end (still using the stock leaf spring setup, coupled with a panhard bar), aftermarket front discs, master/ booster & proportioning valve to suit. Upgrade seats (will be generic), inertia seat belts front & rear. Fuel cell & rear seat sheet brace. Powed by a late model Mustang EFI V6 with a 5 speed or auto trans.

A few more tricks, but that is the main thrust of the concept.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
V6
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 01:04:25 pm »
kerry i think he is asking for himself. To see weather or not it is viable for him to do it so he can drive his car sooner. I could be wrong but thats how i took the question and then the comment on the concept idea

Originally posted by fas66coupe
this is something that i am concerned with, With the laws as tight as they are it is too risky to be driving a v8 with p plates = heafty fine and 3 out of our 5 demerit points lost.

What i don't get is why us new drivers are not allowed to drive a low powered small block v8, whilst we can drive say a 195kw ve sv6 or a 195kw ford xr6 with more power.

How much work is there involved with converting a v8 to a inline 6 or v6, then back to a v8 a few years later?

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
V6
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 01:59:43 pm »
Originally posted by jusTANG
kerry i think he is asking for himself. To see weather or not it is viable for him to do it so he can drive his car sooner. I could be wrong but thats how i took the question and then the comment on the concept idea

Originally posted by fas66coupe

This whole concept comes as a package, the car is only one small part of it, so by doing the car yourself still leaves you in the same position, you may not be able to "legally" drive it.

As far as doing it yourself, yes it may be possible but if you read the following, it will maybe make sense of my erratic thoughts.

I do not know how you would go about it here when all the mechanical pieces, that I have noted here, are in the USA. That was why I had at first considered the inline 6 from the Falcon. However the prices the wreckers want for them here are too steep & puts the concept out of the marketplace. They are also very tall, so would be a difficult fit.

This has to come in at an amount that would be considered "affordable". Part of that package may include the following, I am also trying to get an insurance company onside that will insure the young driver upon completion of the "defensive" driving course. The "driver course", I feel, is very important as these cars react differently to the front wheel drive crap that is running around over here.

The subject of insurance is probably just as big a hurdle as this whole project. If we cannot get coverage for the young drivers here in these cars, the whole thing falls apart. Overseas it is not so much an issue, but as we are so regulated here, it becomes difficult. Yes you can drive the car with your parents as the insured, but it is not really "legal" when you are the primary driver & owner (my belief). If the car is in a parents name for rego & insurance it is of no benifit to the young driver, they still have to start their good driving record somewhere.

This also could be another idea, that if backed by the different car clubs, would create a flow on of members & may also help the gaining of insurance. I will not know until I have had talks to the relevant people.

Offline 65pony

• Thoroughbred
V6
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 03:03:01 pm »
I have called and had meetings in person with various insurance figure heads and as of yet have not been able to gain full comprehensive cover with the car under my name. It is an option to have it under a parents name with the younger driver selected as a driver, although if the car is involved in a serious accident their will be alot of questions asked and neighbours, co-workers and anyone close will receive a phone call to ask questions about the selected driver participation.

I hope you can find an answer :(

Offline 65muzzy

• Worked
V6
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 11:37:16 pm »
Good idea Kerry, but only one problem.  My 2 boys only like mustang with the word SHELBY included.  Expensive taste I think. http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/images/smilies/hmm3grin.gif:+:+

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
V6
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 09:12:36 pm »
Originally posted by 65muzzy
Good idea Kerry, but only one problem.  My 2 boys only like mustang with the word SHELBY included.  Expensive taste I think. http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/images/smilies/hmm3grin.gif:+:+

Well then, what I have in mind will suit. These will be painted in the way the Shelby Trans Am team cars were back in 67/8. Although the main colours will be different (I plan only 3 or 4 outer choices) the stripes & hood blackout will all be the same, similar to this clone...

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
V6
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 03:41:25 pm »
I know it sounds about as appealing as sleeping with your sister, but an ecotech or alloytech donk would be the go if doing the retrofit over here. Paint it blue & leave the turtle shell off & tell people it is a shortened Windsor:w

Offline dalex

• Worked
V6
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 03:59:54 pm »
A little off topic, however the guys at Dallas Mustangs did a few of the Terlingua's. Some history and photos here.

http://www.dallasmustang.com/pages.php?pageid=27

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
V6
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2010, 05:39:37 pm »
Just read the whole thread again, I hadnt looked for a while.

The idea has merit, but I will list the hurdles as I see them & a soloution/argument if I can think of one. It will also give me something to think about on my long drive on Thurs, so i may have more soloutions & probably problems I will post when I get back. Not sure if I can get online while I am away.

1) Insurance - Although I think Young & Cool could be an option here. If these were being produced as a "spec car" & the builders listed all the specs & the drivers left them alone I think a deal could be done.

2) LHD/RHD - No biggie apart from cost. As a parent I wouldnt be keen on letting my 19 year old son drive a LHD car in Australia. I think a young driver has enough to worry about when they are on the right hand side. Thowing LHD into it is asking for trouble in my mind. At the moment the youngens can legally drive LHD BUT watch the legislation change if there is a LHD that is targeting the younger market.

3) Cost - I think if the cost topped 30k Aus it would be dead in the water. I imagine to buy a good doner car would run at around 8 to 10k US add the shipping & landing costs to Aus & the budget for mechanicals/labour/paint etc isnt huge. Throw a RHD conversion into the mix & it will be a struggle. Also whoever is financing the builds before they are sold will need a return on their investment & so the pie gets smaller & smaller

4) Finance - At 30k most people are going to need some sort of a loan. Car finance is a piece of cake on a car under 5 years old, but trying to get a loan as a kid will be tough on an older car. The only soloution would be to have one of the financial institutions on side, they would need to be aware of what the cars really are & be happy with it.

5) Young People - Not all kids are like this, but the majority of kids have a "ready to run" mentality. Most of the products they buy are good to go out of the box & require little or no work to have them perfect. On a pre 73 car to make them true RTRs is expensive. The majority of kids wont care that much about the mechanicals (unless it breaks down) but they will want nice paint, flashy trim, wheels & a fat stereo.

Well I havent come up with too many possible soloutions apart from possibly insurance & stuff that could be solved with a non existant big fat bucket of cash. But they also said that Man would never walk on the moon & that is yesterdays news. Plenty to think about as the concept is tops.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
V6
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2010, 05:45:54 pm »
Originally posted by dalex
A little off topic, however the guys at Dallas Mustangs did a few of the Terlingua's. Some history and photos here.

http://www.dallasmustang.com/pages.php?pageid=27

Yes & they started at US$60K each for the basic model in 2006. I believe they sold a pair & now are over the US$100K mark.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
V6
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2010, 05:51:02 pm »
Originally posted by soc123_au
Just read the whole thread again, I hadnt looked for a while.

The idea has merit, but I will list the hurdles as I see them & a soloution/argument if I can think of one. It will also give me something to think about on my long drive on Thurs, so i may have more soloutions & probably problems I will post when I get back. Not sure if I can get online while I am away.

1) Insurance - Although I think Young & Cool could be an option here. If these were being produced as a "spec car" & the builders listed all the specs & the drivers left them alone I think a deal could be done.

2) LHD/RHD - No biggie apart from cost. As a parent I wouldnt be keen on letting my 19 year old son drive a LHD car in Australia. I think a young driver has enough to worry about when they are on the right hand side. Thowing LHD into it is asking for trouble in my mind. At the moment the youngens can legally drive LHD BUT watch the legislation change if there is a LHD that is targeting the younger market.

3) Cost - I think if the cost topped 30k Aus it would be dead in the water. I imagine to buy a good doner car would run at around 8 to 10k US add the shipping & landing costs to Aus & the budget for mechanicals/labour/paint etc isnt huge. Throw a RHD conversion into the mix & it will be a struggle. Also whoever is financing the builds before they are sold will need a return on their investment & so the pie gets smaller & smaller

4) Finance - At 30k most people are going to need some sort of a loan. Car finance is a piece of cake on a car under 5 years old, but trying to get a loan as a kid will be tough on an older car. The only soloution would be to have one of the financial institutions on side, they would need to be aware of what the cars really are & be happy with it.

5) Young People - Not all kids are like this, but the majority of kids have a "ready to run" mentality. Most of the products they buy are good to go out of the box & require little or no work to have them perfect. On a pre 73 car to make them true RTRs is expensive. The majority of kids wont care that much about the mechanicals (unless it breaks down) but they will want nice paint, flashy trim, wheels & a fat stereo.

Well I havent come up with too many possible soloutions apart from possibly insurance & stuff that could be solved with a non existant big fat bucket of cash. But they also said that Man would never walk on the moon & that is yesterdays news. Plenty to think about as the concept is tops.

Thanks Steve for the well thought out reply. The next time we chat I will go over the build process (RH & LH), costs & marketing.

You were right on with the figures, as that was our ceiling (AU$30K). That is the reason I went after 67/8 coupes, plenty of them & very inexpensive for what we want.

As for insurance, I believe that the car, coupled with a "successful completion" of a defensive/advanced driver course will be a good argument for a company to come on board.

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
V6
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010, 11:16:08 am »
Couldnt sleep last night, thinking about this. One positive is resale value. Buy a new speced up Lancer or Imprezza RX (I think this would be the target demographic) & in 3 to 5 years the value will have halved at best. With these the value should be pretty stable if the car is well maintained. Another thing to consider would be to keep the original engine & box & have an option that the car could be returned to "factory" power at a set price once the driver was eligible to jump into a V8. The V6 could then be reused in another spec car.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
V6
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:41 am »

your a idea's man Steve

yeah it was the demographic when it was first bought up and of cause the Honda prelude clowns. Swapping it out ensures they stay conected to people that will guide them and help them so its a really good idea. Maybe alot would sell and update to a more show car type thing. JMHO

Originally posted by soc123_au
Couldnt sleep last night, thinking about this. One positive is resale value. Buy a new speced up Lancer or Imprezza RX (I think this would be the target demographic) & in 3 to 5 years the value will have halved at best. With these the value should be pretty stable if the car is well maintained. Another thing to consider would be to keep the original engine & box & have an option that the car could be returned to "factory" power at a set price once the driver was eligible to jump into a V8. The V6 could then be reused in another spec car.