Giving.......the bird

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Giving.......the bird  (Read 2214 times)

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
Giving.......the bird
« on: October 06, 2009, 12:00:01 pm »
The History of the Middle Finger
Well, now......here's something I never knew before, and now that I know it, I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent friends in the hope that they, too, will feel edified.  Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?  
Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers.  Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future.  This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as 'plucking the yew' (or 'pluck yew').
Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew!  Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!  It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as 'giving the bird.'
IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE TODAY!

And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
Giving.......the bird
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 12:45:40 pm »
I'd always heard that story as referring to the reversed 'V' sign, as in 'up yours'...
Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline GOLDSCODE

• Worked
Giving.......the bird
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:14:24 pm »
Whale oil beef hooked !!!!:w

Offline Camaro91

• Worked
  • MOCA NSW member 302 ... since 2001
Giving.......the bird
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 08:20:57 pm »

I always wondered why a peasant would want to be a  peasant pheasant feather plucker cause there was no need to pluck a pheasant's feathers by a peasant without the need to be Plucking Yew.  But now I know why the peasants plucked the pheasants feathers was to keep on plucking  Yew, then I guess it would be ok to be a peasant pheasant feather plucker too.

I did believe this story until the bit about labiodentals fricative F'.  That was not so, as the labiodentals fricative refers to the Pl combination changing to Ph that has the phoenetic sound of the F.

A good story none the less.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
Giving.......the bird
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 11:11:17 am »
Here is another site dedicated to the history of the finger:
http://www.ooze.com/finger/html/history.html

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Giving.......the bird
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:41:27 am »
I thought the old two fingered salute became the bird after rectal examinations became more popular.

How cruel to wish a two fingered exam on even your worst enemy.   :+

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
Giving.......the bird
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 12:12:18 pm »
Originally posted by mo
Here is another site dedicated to the history of the finger:
http://www.ooze.com/finger/html/history.html

"Instead of shunning this "obscene" gesture, we must treasure its rich cultural heritage."

:w