Technical & General Discussion Area > Technical - General

Dash light issue

(1/4) > >>

booah:
Hi all,

Here's the issue: 1970 mach 1
When the car is cruising along on the freeway or or on the suburban roads, all is well.
As soon as I come to a stop, the dashlights turn off and I can hear a relay click. Then the turn back on again and so on it goes until I start moving and get the revs up.

Thought it might be because of the revs and the voltage reg etc, but while parked if I rev the engine the dashlights want to turn on and off still. The sport lights also turn on and off at the same time.

Could it be a weak relay?

any ideas?

scott66stang:
That sounds very much like a faulty head light switch , they have a Bi-metal strip inside them which heats up and breaks contact untill it cools and recontacts when overloaded. Your high beam is proberly drawing too much current , suggest fitting a relayto the headlights especially if they are halogen.. This also turns the dash lights off and on.

booah:
Thanks, I did just change the bulbs too.......ummmmm

seany-boy:
on full beam or low as well? I have been lucky (touch wood) so far in that they seem to work ok on low beam but high beam they say 'goodnight' as you describe. I know I have to get relays - just still looking for a round tuit!:w

booah:
The cutting out of the dash lights is on low beam. It has a relay but it is one relay for both the hi and the lo beams and looks like it came from noah's arc.

Am going to change back to the lower intensity lights for tonite and see how it goes. if OK then I'll get different relays??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version