Young driver...old car...insurance repellent

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Young driver...old car...insurance repellent  (Read 8588 times)

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 02:55:16 pm »
I am sure this car :

http://www.carrollstauto.com/site/Inventory/ford/69_ford_mustfb429_blk/69_ford_mustfb429_blk.htm

is the same as a black 69 that scammer posted for sale last week - gdautosales (or whatever his userid was) - but it looks like that thread was deleted.

Plus, looking the engine in that car - it looks great , then he has a rusty water pump on it ? what gives with that ?

I would stay clear of that one.

The other one says it has a "T-10....4 - Speed Top loader"
Not sure what that means - cant have both unless one is spare.

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 03:27:03 pm »
Agree on the water pump and have it down as a special consideration in the report to hopefully find out some more information on it. It almost looks rusted in place so maybe it cant be removed.
I am currently getting a report done up on it so ill let you guys know about the results.

As for the second one I am currently getting more info so can't comment on the transmission as I only have as much info as the ad I posted.

Thanks again for your input guys

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 10:07:48 am »
Annddd young and cool down too

Only options i guess i am left with are:

Get third party, drive for a year and then retry shannons.

Get it insured under the parents and me as a driver.

Give up till im 25

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 11:37:10 am »
Originally posted by Foresight
Annddd young and cool down too

Only options i guess i am left with are:

Get third party, drive for a year and then retry shannons.

Get it insured under the parents and me as a driver.

Give up till im 25

Or buy one now & have a 5 year build up. Could be more economical.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 11:42:40 am »
Would it be more economical?
I just assumed that if the work was done over there it would end up being cheaper then bringing the project here and doing it up over here given shipping etc.

Cheers

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 11:46:16 am »
I just assumed that if the work was done over there it would end up being cheaper then bringing the project here and doing it up over here given shipping etc.

Cheers

Definately, but you must start with a plan & stick to it. U2U me if you want more details & I will talk you through it.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 01:29:05 pm »
Originally posted by SUSPECT
Originally posted by ozbilt

Cheers

Definately, but you must start with a plan & stick to it. U2U me if you want more details & I will talk you through it.

Surely it would be more economical to do the work here?
A) your paying OZ dollar for work done, not US
B) any work done to the car adds to the cost of the car PRE shipping and import duty is on the total, not just what you paid for the car.

Add to that, unless your confident in the workshop... there seems to be a lot of difference in the workmanship between US and AU shops.. Just ask Stanglover ...

I thought that with the aussie dollar being quite strong that their rates would be cheaper and that since the parts are made in america it would be cheaper to install them there and pay the extra gst rather than ship the car and then ship all the parts as well.

Given that it would be cheapest to buy a project and then buy the parts and ship them together but by the sounds of it you never know what you need.

It seems most of my theories are being disproved by the forum which I dont mind at all so thanks for the input guys

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 01:39:21 pm »
Originally posted by SUSPECT
Originally posted by ozbilt

Cheers

Surely it would be more economical to do the work here?
A) your paying OZ dollar for work done, not US
B) any work done to the car adds to the cost of the car PRE shipping and import duty is on the total, not just what you paid for the car.

Add to that, unless your confident in the workshop... there seems to be a lot of difference in the workmanship between US and AU shops.. Just ask Stanglover ...

I thought that with the aussie dollar being quite strong that their rates would be cheaper and that since the parts are made in america it would be cheaper to install them there and pay the extra gst rather than ship the car and then ship all the parts as well.

Given that it would be cheapest to buy a project and then buy the parts and ship them together but by the sounds of it you never know what you need.

It seems most of my theories are being disproved by the forum which I dont mind at all so thanks for the input guys

Sorry suspect

I may have been misleading in my last post. When I said "definately" I meant getting it done here was more economical.

Foresight

As I said, have a plan & stick to it. Buying a car either here or in the US, it is far better to restore here, even with parts freight it still works out better. Also if you are getting work done on the car, at least you can keep an eye on the progress.

I, along with others in this forum, will only be too happy to give you advice as you go along. Always happy to have another joining our group.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 01:59:55 pm »
Ok sounds good. Since ive already paid for the report on the new hampshire 69 fb ill just wait back on that and share what it says. If thats a 100% no goer then ill go down the project path.

Do you guys do your own work on the cars or do you pay people?
Because with my knowledge on restoration I know for a fact I'd be in way too deep to do it myself although i am willing to learn...

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 02:34:43 pm »
Thats encouraging. Yeh i wouldnt try the body work either unless i had some experience help.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 08:23:29 pm »
IMO do as much as you can yourself. Its part of the enjoyment and if you havnt done it before it becomes a learning experience which is also pleasant. At the end of the day you will know every nut and bolt in the car, might forget a few now and then, but you will work it out.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 08:41:58 pm »
I have never painted a car , nor done interior work, but I decided the only way I was going to afford to paint my car and redo the interior was to learn fast.

It took me 10 months and I really enjoyed doing it. Certainly you can pick it is not a professional job, but I am more than happy plus satisfied I did all the work myself.

My car is no show car and was never intended to be - just a cruiser than still turns heads at every outing.

My paint job and interior cost me about $2000 all up - paint, consumables, new seat upholstery, roof lining, carpet etc.  I was lucky the body was pretty good. Straight and very little rust.

I also did some mechanical work - new power steering pump, new carby , new dizzy converting to electronic ignition - they were easy compared to the paint and interior.

Give it a go !

Cheers,
Frank.

Offline Riffo

• L Plates
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 06:40:19 pm »
And now lsv are down...

No luck from Justcars, Shannons and now Lsv.

Next up young and cool!!!

Lets hope that mustangs come under the cool category because all that seems to insured by these young person insurance companies is wrxs and skylines!

Hey - new member here.

I've been considering getting a 65 or 66 Mustang lately but have been put off by having trouble finding insurance as I'm 21. However today I gave Suncorp insurance a call and they said that they would insure me for $961. I then also called RACQ insurance and they quoted me $1,427. Two weeks of rejection and then two quotes in the same day.

So give them a call and see what luck you have.

Offline rick ross the boss

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 10:10:12 pm »
call GIO,

trust me,

I went through EXACTLY what  your talking about, iv got a 66' coupe (25k or so), i was 19 (last year) id had a crash and i'd lost my license, etc etc

my comprehensive insurance per year is $322

call them and ask for the vintage department

do it, seriously, especially because the least they can do is say no!!!!!!!!
'bags are for groceries'

[marquee]
[/marquee]
'bags are for groceries'

Offline rick ross the boss

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 10:11:08 pm »
just to reiterate, GIO
'bags are for groceries'

[marquee]
[/marquee]
'bags are for groceries'

Offline PNY65

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2009, 02:54:56 pm »
GIO vintage is no longer in operation.
They just transfer you to Shannons.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2009, 03:30:04 pm »
Originally posted by 65ragtopPony
GIO vintage is no longer in operation.
They just transfer you to Shannons.

I confirm that GIO vintage is gone, I got the same thing

Shannons offered my laid up insurance but we'll see what the story is when i try to convert to comprehensive once shes up and running. ;3

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2009, 03:43:32 pm »
I know you say you have it but i went with Ryno insurance based in Qld

same type as Shannons just a bit cheaper and customer service was better, most likely like shannons used to be

JMHO

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2009, 03:45:56 pm »
Will still have a look justang like i said i will most likely be out in the cold once again when it comes to upgrading to comprehensive insurance time...

Offline caretaker65

• Worked
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 05:15:55 pm »
Foresight,

I once used an insurance broker to do the running around for me, maybe worth a shoot.

Or iselect.com.au : they have been doing health insurance but have now moved into car insurance as well.

Or Budgetdirect.com.au

Good luck ... I also remember sometime back trying to get good insurance at the age of 18.

Cheers, Caretaker65 :(

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2009, 05:58:53 pm »
Thanks caretaker65 appreciate the leads mate.

I tried iselect out and they recommended dawes insurance so I will try them out if shannons gives me any greif.

Cheers

Offline PNY65

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2009, 06:30:41 pm »

I got a quote from GIO of $440 about 6 weeks ago...

Unfortunately my car only arrived today, so went with Shannons, which was $550, and the monthly repayments work out the same price, so $45 a month was ok by me.

Offline jusTANG

• Blue Printed
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 06:57:52 pm »
i used a broker once to push through insurance cost a bit more but i got it

Ryno was under Shannons and also monthly, EJmustang got me onto them was very helpful and seemed to listen and care, helped me out on really short notice for cover. Friday afternoon and car pickup sat.

just if anyone is shopping around...........................

and congrats on the delivery 65ragtopPony