Another 70s

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Another 70s  (Read 11267 times)

Offline snafu

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: scott hardy
  • Car: 71 BOSS 351
Another 70s
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 09:28:26 pm »
:i

Offline Sprint72

• Worked
  • Name: Brett
Another 70s
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 10:34:19 pm »
72Mac1 - Your car was the first one I seriously thought about buying, and I was kicking myself that it wasn't closer to check it out. (Never even thought about calling up a local mechanic). Anyways, I'm glad to see what became of it and it looks a treat! Good choice on the war paint - I love these big fat Mustangs in all their paint guises but have to admit they can look a little plump without a little bit of make-up on.

Caretaker65 - not in Melbourne, at the tall end of the Calder in Bendigo. Bit skittish when it comes to driving through Melbourne in a car that has next to no rear vision - but I can see myself turning up to some shows eventually! Was a MOCV member from '87 to about '94 with a 1970 Mach 1 which I brought at the grand old age of 21, but like a complete an utter dropkick I sold it to put the money on a house (car I sold for 18 grand is probably worth 40+ now :-)

Offline 72mac1

• Stallion
Another 70s
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 11:51:44 pm »
Sprint72, there is one more thing that I wished had been done was if the local mechanic could of
put it up on a hoist and spotted the cracks in the bottom of one of the shock towers as was discovered
today and according to google it is a very rare issue and no after market shock towers are available
only options so far is repair or get them cut out of a donor car, going to climb underneath it tomorrow
and take a few pic's and ask the guru's here if they can give me some options, to me (with a untrained
eye) it does look repairable but knowing my luck it won't be a option
:[

Offline T-CODE KID

• Worked
  • Name: https://www.
Another 70s
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 11:59:57 pm »

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Another 70s
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 12:07:42 am »
Quote from: 72mac1 link=topic=7832.msg110709#msg110709
Sprint72, there is one more thing that I wished had been done was if the local mechanic could of
put it up on a hoist and spotted the cracks in the bottom of one of the shock towers as was discovered
today and according to google it is a very rare issue and no after market shock towers are available
only options so far is repair or get them cut out of a donor car, going to climb underneath it tomorrow
and take a few pic's and ask the guru's here if they can give me some options, to me (with a untrained
eye) it does look repairable but knowing my luck it won't be a option
:[

Never a big deal to fix the tower. However it has to be done methodically & with the correct repair procedures.

What is the big deal is getting the car in a position to fix it correctly. For me it is pulling the suspension & engine out of the car.

All else will be just putting a band aid on the real problem.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Another 70s
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 09:10:12 am »
They all crack, and I reckon it's because the inner brace is only spot welded not fully welded like an Australian falcon. as kerry said no drama to fix but the engine need to come out to do it properly. The inner brace will need pashing back to the tower for sure on the front edge. You can't do that with the engine in. Even ford knew this was and issue that's why BB cars are either welded or braced from new.

Offline 72mac1

• Stallion
Another 70s
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 11:43:13 am »
 Thanks Kerry and Shaun for your input, I have started a new thread in the tech torque section
with some pic's  http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=10723

Cheers
 Mark