Great Effort

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Great Effort  (Read 46474 times)

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
Great Effort
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 07:53:44 am »
Hmmm.. this website seems to think its a C6:

Mine:

C5 would have been nice... apparently they have a locking converter? :+
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 08:37:31 am »
That site is 100% correct. I have been proved was wrong again.  

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 09:42:44 am »
Damn... overdrive would have been nice ;2

This is the website:
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Transmission_Identification
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline MustangNut

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 09:47:44 am »
You could always go AOD.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
Great Effort
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 11:51:27 am »
Hybrid, I was interested in the C6 you have in the 66. I too have a C6 in my 66. The previous owner in the US installed it. It came with the original C4 in the boot and I nearly put it back in but the C6 was rebuilt and I would have had to track down a tail shaft so I ran with the C6. It just fits in but it works well. What rear cross member are you running. The C6 mount is about 2" further back than the C4. Mine had a badly made modified cross member fitted which I replace with a after market one for a T5. Does the trick with the hand brake lever set up. Did yours have a speedo cable connected as the C4 cable is 2" short of reaching the back of the speedo. Haven't worked that one out yet.
Good luck with the resto. Keep up the momentum.
Dave

He, with the most toys wins.

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 11:59:57 am »
Hi Dave,
thanks for the reply! In fact there was no rear crossmember on mine, so can you tell me where you got yours?
Speedo cable was not hooked up either, so I will probably have to have one made, unless there is another car we can get an original cable from.

Not much help to you, sorry!

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
Great Effort
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 12:19:27 pm »
Mate, the cross member was from CJ Pony parts in the states. You will need the T5C1 if you want your hand brake to work. have bought a fair bit of stuff from these guys. They will give you a quote for shipping. If you are ordering a bit of stuff I usually get them to ship it locally to "California Image" in Califorina (free on Wednesdays) and get them to load it in a car container and Shane will give you a ring when it arrived in Brisbane (07 38882088). Saves you heaps in $$ and takes about 5-6 weeks. Your local car importer might do the same service closer to you.
Looks like the speedo cable will have to be specially made. You can by a '69-70 C6 cable which is the right length but I think the speedo end is different to a '66.

http://search.cjponyparts.com/results.php?page=2&keywords=t5

Dave

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
Great Effort
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 01:15:48 pm »
Jeff

If you had of told me on Saturday that you were pulling the engine/trans on Sunday, I would have lent you the yoke for the driveshaft & plug for the speedo hole. That would have saved a mess on the floor.

You probably would have seen the yellow painted C6 under the bench in the workshop while you were here, same as yours.

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 01:23:24 pm »
Thanks Dave.
Also found this one.. looks a bit more sturdy:

Kerry,
I'm actually going to try and buy one of the universal plastic plugs that you can get to shove in the end of the gearbox, which normally has multiple sizes. Won't be an issue now though I guess because it will go back in empty anyway.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
Great Effort
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 01:52:55 pm »
Not sure that one you found has the 2" offset for the C6 box.
They are not uncommon. Check out your local trans or ROD shop as they might have one. Castlemane ROD shop may have them
Dave

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 02:00:08 pm »
Originally posted by 66FBK
Not sure that one you found has the 2" offset for the C6 box.
They are not uncommon. Check out your local trans or ROD shop as they might have one. Castlemane ROD shop may have them
Dave

I assumed if it was for a T5 conversion in a 65/66 that it would have the offset, the same as the one you posted. I assumed the T5 must be 2 inches longer than the C4. Or is it the slotted plate in yours that allows it to fit the C6?

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 02:43:44 pm »
I have a c6 crossmember to suit a 68. All the floors are the same so I assume it should fit. I am going AOD now so I dont need it.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Great Effort
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 03:23:40 pm »
Originally posted by soc123_au
I have a c6 crossmember to suit a 68. All the floors are the same so I assume it should fit. I am going AOD now so I dont need it.

Hand brake set up on the crossmember on early car, doubt it would work

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 03:31:22 pm »
What's AOD by the way? - ahhh just found it. Automatic OverDrive.
Sounds nice... are the boxes expensive?

Also... have welder, will mod. Maybe I can modify a 68 crossmember with the required bracket for the hand brake?

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 03:44:34 pm »
A good AOD isnt cheap, depends how much grunt you want to throw at it. I will get a pic of the crossmember tommorow & you can have a look. Not sure about the handbrake setup on a 65/66.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
Great Effort
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2009, 05:34:05 pm »
Looking at that crossmember again and it might fit the C6. A standard crossmember cradles the rubber mount in the middle of the member. That beafer one looks like the mount is offset rearward so all looks good. A C6 & a C4 side by side from the bell housing, the C6 is longer in the extn housing and the rear mount is 2" further back. a T5 must be the same. Either way you will need the hand brake lever bracket if you want your hand brake to work.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Great Effort
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 09:00:14 pm »
John  Greene at Probe Eng had a full AOD conversion he had in his wifes lovely 66 fastback, he took it out cause he didn't like it. Not sure if he still has it for sale. Me I like manuals, I'm running a toploader, but a Supra or a T5 is a good swap.  Jeff Dellow can help with both. I have a W57 supra if anyone wants it. I'd be using a C4 in a small block the C6 uses more HP to turn. C4s are worth nothing I gave one away a while back for 2 slabs of XXXX qold

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 07:49:22 am »
Thanks Shaun,
I used to prefer manuals, but this is going to be a once in a while cruise car, so its going to be auto. Will also mean that the better half can drive it with one less thing to worry about.

C4 vs C6 thing I will have to think about. The engine shouldn't be short of ponies, so a C4 might need beefed up anyway... then its not so cheap any more.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Great Effort
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2009, 01:30:53 pm »
You can build a very strong c4, there are heaps of aftermarket stuff for them.

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 06:20:53 pm »
Yeah I realise that, but then is it sapping just as much horsepower as a C6?

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2009, 11:29:36 am »
Throttle body arrived today. No where near needing it, but I figured with the AUD pretty good at the moment, I might as well shell out for it.
Quality is not as good as the billet ones, but considering this cost me AU$400 including postage from the US, it will do me just nicely.
Its 750 CFM, and has been modified for progressive opening, and TPS.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
Great Effort
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 06:22:49 pm »
That's a nice looking thing Hybrid. How are you going to run it?  

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2009, 07:06:52 pm »
I'll be using the Megasquirt, or one of its variants:
http://www.megamanual.com/MSFAQ.htm

Already running an XD 351C, XD with XF 6 cyl, and an LC Torana with a VN 5L all on Megasquirts of some form.

Also, my 500cc GP replica bike is running on Microsquirt, which is the smallest version of Megasquirt.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
Great Effort
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2009, 09:51:11 pm »
That’s interesting. I have a '65 XP running a roller 302. This was to be a Ford throttle bodied injected setup. Still has the oxygen sensor and return fuel lines fitted but due to delays and set backs I went back to a carb & and manual fuel pump with electronic dizzy. The Ford 2 barrel throttle body has the same bolt pattern as a 2 barrel Holley so the conversion was easy. The problem was making sense of the Ford EFI unit. This  Mega Sqirt looks interesting. Let us know how you go. This type of setup is the way to go. Most EFI setups  are too smart for there own good. Looks like you can make you EFI system as simple as you like with endless tune up options.

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
Great Effort
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2009, 10:14:02 pm »
Yeah I would not bother with a factory ECU. Megasquirt is cheap enough, and tunes just like any other aftermarket ECU.

Here is my bike running Microsquirt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMgcMWuyHbI