65 electrical problem, loss of all electrics to car

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 65 electrical problem, loss of all electrics to car  (Read 3999 times)

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
Hi All   :hi:
I've had a electrical problem for a while. After some time driving but not all the time. the car will loss all electrical power for a short period. Then will come back to life after a few seconds and it can be cause by putting my foot on the brake or turning on the headlights. I can make it happen if i try hard enough. But i have realized lately when i put my foot on the brake to put the car into drive it dies. could it be a short or voltage regulator or something like that.

Can someone give any suggestions

Offline EXHAUSTED

• Blue Printed
  • Nearly retired
Re: 65 electrical problem, loss of all electrics to car
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »
Check your battery & earth connections first. Remove, clean,  refit. tighten then go from there. Might be something as simple as a bad earth connection. Back to basics.

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:03:06 pm »
Check your battery & earth connections first. Remove, clean,  refit. tighten then go from there. Might be something as simple as a bad earth connection. Back to basics.
Thanks Exhausted
I have done that plus more. checked all electrical stuff with a multi meter it pass all the voltage tests.
It's a funny one this problem.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:39:56 pm »
Check the main power and earth wire and make sure the engine is earthed out as well..
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:46:38 pm by Macka »

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 07:51:46 pm »
Hello,
Look at the problem logically,
It can't be a main earth problem or the car wouldn't start. (starter draws 100+ amps)
If is related to brake/headlamp operation you need to look at the fuse box or headlamp switch.
Look at the wires behind the fuse box for melting or poor connections same for the headlamp switch.
Hope this helps-Good luck.
Peter.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 10:15:29 pm »
Hello,
Look at the problem logically,
It can't be a main earth problem or the car wouldn't start. (starter draws 100+ amps)
If is related to brake/headlamp operation you need to look at the fuse box or headlamp switch.
Look at the wires behind the fuse box for melting or poor connections same for the headlamp switch.
Hope this helps-Good luck.
Peter.

:thumb:thanks peter
i think i better have a look at what you said cause i have checked all the grounding and they are fine. plus it has done it again today.
 :cheers:
jeff

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 05:39:15 pm »
Jeff, when the power drops off, where is there power to?  Use a meter or a test light and start at the battery.

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 11:35:54 am »
hi all
my 65 is still playing up. lose of power to car but not to my cd player which i'm assuming is connected straight to the battery.
last week was bad after a long drive which makes me think it is heat related. if i do short drives there is no problem.
would this be right. is there any electrical problem areas which can be caused by heat. 

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 06:20:49 pm »
When you say total loss of power, does the engine also shut down or is it the dash electrics? Do you have an external voltage regulator?

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 08:07:17 pm »
If its foot to brake, it sounds like there may be a short being activated by the pedal motion.  Or possibly a bad switch. 

Neither would show under idle conditions or at a stop if that is when you are checking voltages/earths...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:16:05 am by mert »
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline GUSTO

• Pony
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 10:28:14 pm »
I had a problem with my 65 where I  lost power to everything after I parked up at the shops although the battery was fine. Ended up being the main power lead to the solenoid being sus. 49years old I thought was fair enough, got a jump start by bypassing and drove to the auto shop and had a new one made, never had a problem again.

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 11:52:01 am »
When you say total loss of power, does the engine also shut down or is it the dash electrics? Do you have an external voltage regulator?
engine shuts down. the other day i could make it happen by putting on the headlights. without the car being on. it done it about 6 or 7 times before it stopped doing that. so the lights can make the electric go dead. it come good at the headlights after 7 times of blacking out.
yes i have an voltage reg
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:54:38 am by jeff 65 coupe »

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 11:52:55 am »
yes i have a voltage reg

Offline unilec5544

• Worked
  • Name: Neil.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 07:27:36 pm »
it sounds like  you may have an intermittent short circuit in the lighting circuit, not easy to isolate until you can isolate circuits from the system. I t may be time to bit the bullet and take the car to an auto sparky. You can try removing the headlight circuit fuse and see if it still happens.

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 07:43:03 pm »
Is it a electronic dissy .

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 08:03:40 pm »
So what you are saying i think is the engine stops sometimes ,but not when you are driving around ,its mainly when you are ,lets say stopped but engine running ,then if you turn your headlights on, or some power usage the engine dies .If it has an electronic dissy fitted the coil has not been changed to a 12v and maybe still running a 9v coil .If so when revs are very low and you use any power even brake lights the engine will cut out .Is that what you are saying .

Offline jeff 65 coupe

• Stallion
  • MOCA Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 11:07:58 pm »
So what you are saying i think is the engine stops sometimes ,but not when you are driving around ,its mainly when you are ,lets say stopped but engine running ,then if you turn your headlights on, or some power usage the engine dies .If it has an electronic dissy fitted the coil has not been changed to a 12v and maybe still running a 9v coil .If so when revs are very low and you use any power even brake lights the engine will cut out .Is that what you are saying .
glen that sounds right. i will check the coil. but how do i do that? it does'nt happen every time. last week i had the revs up and put my foot on the brake and it still lost power dead no instrument lights etc. but will return after a few seconds. it will do it even without the engine running though the headlights. it's a funny one this one only because it's not every time i drive it.
thanks for the help
jeff

Offline GLENN 70

• GT 500
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 07:53:54 am »
Its not the problem ,the coil problem is different to your problem .If you loosing all power then getting power back i dont know . Have you checked the main power cable that goes to the starter if that not a good connection it could cause the problem .Go talk to a auto electrician ,sorry but it could be a few things .cheers Glenn .