Beware Tyre Joints!

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Beware Tyre Joints!  (Read 1493 times)

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
Beware Tyre Joints!
« on: July 04, 2009, 07:25:40 pm »
Hi guys....

I want to warn you about mainstream Tyre Joints!

a) If you ever get something done at a tyre place - stand near your car!

I had my Dad (retired) take my Stang to get a good tyre I had on a rim exchanged with a worn tyre that was currently on the car.

Tyre place said ' we can do that - come back in an hour'.

Dad stayed there - had a coffee - read paper etc....

Guy comes out of the workshop...... about 20 mins later....

a) They reckon the nuts were on so tight the rattle gun couldnt free them { Point t note here - I changed the tyre myself not 24 hours earlier by hand - this is when i noticed it was worn...so unless I have guns of steel...... these nuts were only on 'arm-strength tight'}

b) They stated that the lugs (bolts) were loose!!!  WTF???

...Fast forward 20 mins.....

They'd freed the nuts, exchanged the tyre...and called my Dad over to pay!

They said.....' bit of a job that one!'........ we had to put new nuts on it...... as they were worn!!!! { Point to note.... I'd put brand new nuts on that car not more than 2 weeks earlier MYSELF}

They said....' we had to tighen up the lugs (bolts)....

Dad rang me...I WAS FUMING!!!!

Reality of situation...

a) They stripped 5 nuts. It appears that the dumb t*rd that was given this job either used the wrong sized socket, lef the rattle gun to spin to tighten, and or both.

b) They stripped (in various degrees) 4 luggs (bolts) - one of which couldnt hold a nut at all. My mechanic couldnt belive how butchered the lugg was. It was horrendous.

c) My 6mnth old Scott Drake style Steel rim has the paint on 2 of the mount holes goneski to bare metal.

d) Rim is now got a dent it it from where they tried to remove the tyre. Seriously how hard is it???

Summation:

Never ever go to a mainstream trye joint with any car you give a $hit about.....

Im still fuming

PS: I havent fronted the establishment as yet.... purely as Im literally 3 seconds away from beginning a SMACK DOWN event that would have the frikkin apprentice they had work on my Stang in hospital :) Im serious!! and trust me im not a violent person at all

The End....

Im off to have a chillaxing beverage :) and apologise to my Stang..I still love her :)

Ohh...I forgot...they have somehow broken my stereo :)

JC out :)

Rock on!

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
Beware Tyre Joints!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 07:51:11 pm »
Bugger - not a good run;   Give them an invoice for the damage caused, 'cause you definately don't want them to touch the car again.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Beware Tyre Joints!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 08:01:41 pm »
Jase chillout, relax, these things happen. Get it all sorted....and then go down with your own rattle gun and tighten some nuts :+.Cheers mate, keep smiling like we know you can. :(
PS. credit to your oldman for putting up with the crap.
cheers
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline JC074

• Blue Printed
Beware Tyre Joints!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 08:38:50 pm »
Its al good - if anything karma will come full circle....

back to beer drinking :)

:a
Rock on!

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
Beware Tyre Joints!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 09:00:19 pm »
Any good tyre (or ANY Automotive place) should be using Torque limiting bars on their rattle guns, to prevent over tightening.

Before they were available, I remember a customer ringing us from the side of the road, with a flat tyre, and he couldn't undo the nuts. It was serviced a while ago, and the nuts tent to lock up a bit after a while, but he got a tow to a wheel shop to change it for him, and sent us the bill for the tow, and swap. (Dunno what happened after that..)
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor