Ford Australia 1966 Mustangs

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Ford Australia 1966 Mustangs  (Read 16734 times)

Offline Robbo66

• Pony
« on: May 15, 2009, 09:32:06 pm »
Just curious. Does anyone own or has seen one of the 160 or so 1966 Mustang coupes that were modified to RHD by Ford Australia? They apparently had VIN numbers starting with AA, an Australian Compliance Plate on the firewall and a plate on the RH door saying 'Made by Ford Australia'. With so few of them made you would expect them to be worth big bucks.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:40:16 pm »
There is at least one that is a member of MOCWA, but its not a coupe.
Its a lovely fastback, has the Aust compliance plate on the firewall.

Some info in here http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~mexmust/findings.htm
cheers.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Robbo66

• Pony
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:58:41 pm »
Originally posted by nassi
There is at least one that is a member of MOCWA, but its not a coupe.
Its a lovely fastback, has the Aust compliance plate on the firewall.
cheers.

Do you know if its a 65 or a 66?  Ford imported and converted a few mustangs in 1965 so some of those may have been fastbacks or convertibles. The 1966 conversions were all 289 auto coupes according to Ford Australia Communications.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:03:10 pm »
I cant remember if its 65 or 66 but will check next time i see it.
Until seeing this car I was under the impression they were all coupes but he mentioned a couple of fastbacks and convertibles. I havnt been able to find any supporting documentation but have no reason to doubt the info. It would be nice to findout for sure though.

PS the car is a perth car so you may have seen it around.
cheers.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:22:00 am »
I have seen a few, all 66 coupes but may have been some fastbacks, They were farmed out by Ford Aust for conversion to RHD to many conversion shops. Some were very ordinary in the conversion.

They were bought here to promote the XR "Mustang Bred Falcon" which was quite funny as the Mustang was bred off a Falcon platform, not the other way around.

JM2CW

K

Offline Robbo66

• Pony
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 11:10:17 am »
I just found a quite detailed article at http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~mexmust/Australian/ozstang.pdf . The author reckons all the Ford Australia conversions were coupes, which would make sense if they were done to promote the XR Falcon (no fastback or convertibles there).

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:09:45 pm »
That link is in my first reply ( I think I edited as you replied), as i said I cant find any documentation on the fastbacks or convertibles but I have actually seen the fastback.
As with anything to do with these cars the more you think you know about them the more you realise you dont know much at all. Maybe oneday all the info will come together.
Soon I hope.
cheers
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 02:41:05 pm »
I had a red Australian complianced 66 coupe in my shop in the early 1990's. As I have said, the conversion was very ordinary & actually was not pleasant to drive. It left my shop untouched by us (It was only here for storage while for sale). Do not know where it is now.

As for value, I would say the same as another 66 in similar condition, but maybe someone would value the uniqueness of an Aussie VIN, but not "big bucks"

Regards

K

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 03:12:12 pm »
I have read and Im trying to recall where, but all 3 body shapes were imported and converted by Ford.  Mostly coupes however.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 10:41:23 pm »
Found this in a book called "The History of Ford in Australia" by Norm Darwin

"On release, the XR was maligned by people who didn't know any better, 'Its just a 1966 American Falcon with a few Australian modifications', was the cry. Ford advertised the car as 'Mustang Bred'. Bill Burke even had Mustangs imported to support the XR promotion. The Mustangs that he imported were all Hard Top Autos, most were 200ci six cylinder models with a sprinkling of V8's. An initial 48, 1965 cars were landed and converted to RHD at Fords Homebush plant. The conversion used Falcon/Fairlane RHD steering componets, the instrument panel was switched using sheet metal parts supplied by a local Sydney supplier. The completed cars were then fitted with a Ford Australia Identification plate, located on the drivers side inner fender or suspension tower. With the release of the 1966 models a further 161 Mustangs were imported and converted in the same manner, the 1966 cars were only slightly altered in ornamentation and did not pose any additional conversion problems.

Following on from this initial batch of Mustangs, a further supply continued to flow to Australia on special Dealer orders, this practice appears to have continued until the early 1970's. Approximately 200 additional cars were landed and converted to RHD by contractors outside of the Ford organisation."

End of quote.

I was converting Mustangs in 1973 but do not remember them having Ford Australia ID tags (at that time, ie; 1973). I had been under the impression, for all these years, that the conversions were done outside of Ford. So according to the book mentioned above,  65/6 Mustangs were converted at Homebush. Something I did not realise.

All those years taking my classes through that plant & not realising that Mustangs were processed there. At least now I can add Homebush along with Dearborne & San Jose to Ford Mustang plants I have visited.

Regards
Kerry

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 11:20:13 am »
I have a mate whom unknowingly bought a 68 coupe, cause it was cheap at auction, turns out to be a 390GTA aussie converted by ford in the gellong facility back in 68, really is quite a neat if not a perfect job.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline booah

• Worked
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 12:44:15 pm »
I just purchased a 1970 Mach 1 with a Ford Australia compliance plate, so I'mnterested in the different comments that will be brought up here.

I have had contact with a member in the Vic chapter regarding the history of this vehicle and he is going to do some research for me.

As far as the conversion quality, I wouldn't say it was perfect but it has lasted for close to 40 yrs so no reason why I can't get another 40.

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 01:19:33 pm »
I too had been of the impression that all the 1966 Mustangs converted by Ford Oz had been 289 coupes, to promote the new V8 Falcons. I looked at buying one around 1978, but found the speedo had been clocked, so gave it a miss.

The 1966 Victorian registered cars originally had black and white plates with numbers about JL....to JP.... series, and the predominent colours were Candyapple Red and Wimbleton White. My car's plates are about mid-1966 issue.

I think senior Ford Oz execs of the day could more or less take their pick of Ford cars, and well connected Ford dealers such a Bib Stillwell could get USA cars imported to order, which might explain the fastbacks and verts slipped through the Homebush conversion line.

There was a well known place in Melb converting Lincolns and Caddies called Chapel Engineering, who I seem to recall did the later one-off Mustang conversions for Ford Oz.

Offline cool66

• Pony
    • www.emmax.com.au
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 05:35:17 pm »
I was told when I purchased my car that it was converted in Australia and at the same time it had the sunroof fitted (early falcon winde back style) Thought he was pulling my leg as I had never heard that before.

He mentioned the name Bill Buckle a few times and after reading this article maybe he was correct however can't be certain as the compliance tags were taken off when they restored the car. The rear backup lenses being converted to amber with dual purpose and the conversion of indicator, light switch etc, and not converting the wiper motor also seems correct to my car.

Never know, maybe it was. Would be good to get some more detail.

Cheers
Jeff

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 09:39:49 pm »
I think he also did the mini-gem, but its a vague memory.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 10:57:26 pm »
Yes Bill Buckle of Sydney had connections to Ford going back to 1956 when he produced our first custom sports car, the Buckle GT. It was fibreglass with a Ford Zephyr 6 engine, and one or two of these cars still compete in historic racing.

The Buckle GT failed as too expensive, so Bill started importing Goggo's, and later created the Goggo Dart convertible using his fibreglass skills from the Buckle GT. His workshop did all sorts of things to turn a dollar, including fitting sun roofs, and may have carried out some of the late 60's/early 70's one-off Mustang RHD conversions for Ford in Sydney.

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 09:12:23 am »
I know there is a 64 coupe getting around brisbane - gold coast area that was built here. its red. there is a member in our club that seems to know all about i will have to ask him next time i see him.
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline 67FBGT

• Blue Printed
  • Car: 1967
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 02:07:10 pm »
I have an old classic cars magazine article (British, approx 1990 as I recall, I'll have to dig it out) that road-tests a Sydney Mustang enthusiast's 2 cars; one a '67 Shelby fastback, & the other a '66 white / red interior 289 coupe in RHD converted by Ford Australia. The article talks about 209 cars being imported & converted by Ford Australia, so that fits with the numbers ozbilt mentions above. Glad this forum posting has come about, because I've long wondered whatever happened to the 209 cars, & any others that followed - surely more should have come to light by now than just the odd one or two; they must have cost a fair bit more to an Aussie owner respective to income than to an American of the day, so one could reasonably expect far more would have been better looked after & survived surely? Also, I would have thought that compliance plates for RHD would have to have remained fitted to ensure no future issues with registration, or has the situation changed now that LHD is permitted?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 02:14:47 pm »
Originally posted by 67FBGT
I have an old classic cars magazine article (British, approx 1990 as I recall, I'll have to dig it out) that road-tests a Sydney Mustang enthusiast's 2 cars; one a '67 Shelby fastback, & the other a '66 white / red interior 289 coupe in RHD converted by Ford Australia. The article talks about 209 cars being imported & converted by Ford Australia, so that fits with the numbers ozbilt mentions above. Glad this forum posting has come about, because I've long wondered whatever happened to the 209 cars, & any others that followed - surely more should have come to light by now than just the odd one or two; they must have cost a fair bit more to an Aussie owner respective to income than to an American of the day, so one could reasonably expect far more would have been better looked after & survived surely? Also, I would have thought that compliance plates for RHD would have to have remained fitted to ensure no future issues with registration, or has the situation changed now that LHD is permitted?  

No such thing as a Compliance plate in 66 as such, they would have just had FORD OZ build plate I think compliance plates came in around 1970?

Offline ejmustang

• Worked
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 04:12:12 pm »
None of them were actually converted by Ford Australia they were sent to different places and some of the conversions were not that good the steering was second rate by todays standards a lot of them were redone later ;w

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 04:31:33 pm »
Originally posted by shaunp
Originally posted by 67FBGT

No such thing as a Compliance plate in 66 as such, they would have just had FORD OZ build plate I think compliance plates came in around 1970?

The car Ive seen in Perth that is one of these cars, a fastback, doesnt have a compliance plate that I can recall but it does have a dataplate in the engine bay and I think it is a Ford Australia one as well.  Unfortunately the owner doesnt rfrequent the forum but I will ask him a few more questions next time I see him or the car.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 10:14:47 pm »
Yes Shaunp, Australian Compliance plates commenced in 1970.

The tags installed in the early mustangs was a Ford Australia VIN tag & other than giving the "new" VIN (American factory VIN was changed & only the consecutive unit # was kept with the Australian letters attached), all other info was similar to the door data tag.

This is just some of my recollections, starting to get fuzzy at my time of life !!!!!!!

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 10:54:08 pm »
I do, scan the pics & share !!!!!!

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 12:34:48 am »
Wonder where they stamped the engine number on those Oz converted Stangs, seeing there wasn't a proper place on the 289 blocks ?.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 08:05:38 am »
Probably did not stamp them, I thought that only the "K or A" motors had #'s on them. Or maybe the consectitive unit # was stamped as that was the same for both countries?