Ford Australia 1966 Mustangs

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Ford Australia 1966 Mustangs  (Read 16801 times)

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 08:20:47 am »
Originally posted by Cruzn65
Originally posted by shaunp
Originally posted by 67FBGT
I have an old classic cars magazine article (British, approx 1990 as I recall, I'll have to dig it out) that road-tests a Sydney Mustang enthusiast's 2 cars; one a '67 Shelby fastback, & the other a '66 white / red interior 289 coupe in RHD converted by Ford Australia. The article talks about 209 cars being imported & converted by Ford Australia, so that fits with the numbers ozbilt mentions above. Glad this forum posting has come about, because I've long wondered whatever happened to the 209 cars, & any others that followed - surely more should have come to light by now than just the odd one or two; they must have cost a fair bit more to an Aussie owner respective to income than to an American of the day, so one could reasonably expect far more would have been better looked after & survived surely? Also, I would have thought that compliance plates for RHD would have to have remained fitted to ensure no future issues with registration, or has the situation changed now that LHD is permitted?  

No such thing as a Compliance plate in 66 as such, they would have just had FORD OZ build plate I think compliance plates came in around 1970?

The car Ive seen in Perth that is one of these cars, a fastback, doesnt have a compliance plate that I can recall but it does have a dataplate in the engine bay and I think it is a Ford Australia one as well.  Unfortunately the owner doesnt rfrequent the forum but I will ask him a few more questions next time I see him or the car.

Your right Craig, its just the data plate.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 08:23:02 am »
Originally posted by 66RedRagtop
Wonder where they stamped the engine number on those Oz converted Stangs, seeing there wasn't a proper place on the 289 blocks ?.

There is a flat machined are on the RHS of the engine near the dip stick, I have seen this used.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 12:39:02 pm »
Just checked, and that front raised flat was left on the 302 blocks too.

So there are actually two places for an engine number on a 302, which could be a bit confusing for rego authorities if someone doing an engine swap stamped the front one, not knowing there was a number already on the back flat.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 08:33:01 pm »
Originally posted by 66RedRagtop
Just checked, and that front raised flat was left on the 302 blocks too.

So there are actually two places for an engine number on a 302, which could be a bit confusing for rego authorities if someone doing an engine swap stamped the front one, not knowing there was a number already on the back flat.

Tell me about it :+
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline coops

• Thoroughbred
  • been here a little while!
Re: Ford Australia 1966 Mustangs
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 06:24:17 pm »
I just read this old post and was wondering about how the conversions were done. I know Compact Fairlane draglink were used but what pedal boxes and heater assembly were used to suit the original firewall. I want to convert my 66 to RHD and major modifications to the firewall worry me a bit. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
66 and 69 coupes.

Offline MStang67

• Thoroughbred