Technical & General Discussion Area > Tech Torque Pre 1973

Ford Australia 1966 Mustangs

<< < (4/7) > >>

66RedRagtop:
Yes Bill Buckle of Sydney had connections to Ford going back to 1956 when he produced our first custom sports car, the Buckle GT. It was fibreglass with a Ford Zephyr 6 engine, and one or two of these cars still compete in historic racing.

The Buckle GT failed as too expensive, so Bill started importing Goggo's, and later created the Goggo Dart convertible using his fibreglass skills from the Buckle GT. His workshop did all sorts of things to turn a dollar, including fitting sun roofs, and may have carried out some of the late 60's/early 70's one-off Mustang RHD conversions for Ford in Sydney.

shelby_mustro:
I know there is a 64 coupe getting around brisbane - gold coast area that was built here. its red. there is a member in our club that seems to know all about i will have to ask him next time i see him.

67FBGT:
I have an old classic cars magazine article (British, approx 1990 as I recall, I'll have to dig it out) that road-tests a Sydney Mustang enthusiast's 2 cars; one a '67 Shelby fastback, & the other a '66 white / red interior 289 coupe in RHD converted by Ford Australia. The article talks about 209 cars being imported & converted by Ford Australia, so that fits with the numbers ozbilt mentions above. Glad this forum posting has come about, because I've long wondered whatever happened to the 209 cars, & any others that followed - surely more should have come to light by now than just the odd one or two; they must have cost a fair bit more to an Aussie owner respective to income than to an American of the day, so one could reasonably expect far more would have been better looked after & survived surely? Also, I would have thought that compliance plates for RHD would have to have remained fitted to ensure no future issues with registration, or has the situation changed now that LHD is permitted?

shaunp:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by 67FBGT
I have an old classic cars magazine article (British, approx 1990 as I recall, I'll have to dig it out) that road-tests a Sydney Mustang enthusiast's 2 cars; one a '67 Shelby fastback, & the other a '66 white / red interior 289 coupe in RHD converted by Ford Australia. The article talks about 209 cars being imported & converted by Ford Australia, so that fits with the numbers ozbilt mentions above. Glad this forum posting has come about, because I've long wondered whatever happened to the 209 cars, & any others that followed - surely more should have come to light by now than just the odd one or two; they must have cost a fair bit more to an Aussie owner respective to income than to an American of the day, so one could reasonably expect far more would have been better looked after & survived surely? Also, I would have thought that compliance plates for RHD would have to have remained fitted to ensure no future issues with registration, or has the situation changed now that LHD is permitted?  
--- End quote ---

No such thing as a Compliance plate in 66 as such, they would have just had FORD OZ build plate I think compliance plates came in around 1970?

ejmustang:
None of them were actually converted by Ford Australia they were sent to different places and some of the conversions were not that good the steering was second rate by todays standards a lot of them were redone later ;w

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version