Technical & General Discussion Area > Tech Torque Pre 1973

Cam Stuff

<< < (2/3) > >>

wheels:
As you've probably figured I was considering the whole supercharger thing but after talking to a few people n the know and getting a price or two it's looking less attractive. For the price of the supercharger alone I could probably do a bit of work and get a stronger 302w possibly even stroke it. Diff ratio isn't too much of a problem as it's already 3.5:1. Breathability shouldn't be a prolem either as the 351 w heads have bigger valves and ports etc, it has headers and a 2 3/4 single exhaust system. I think repistoning it to up the compression and possibly upping the cam a bit should tuffen the engine up but still make it good to drive normally (streetable). Fuel supply really isn't a problem with the  750DP holley and Edelbrock intake manifold. I just don't see the value of the supercharger for the money!

ThunderKiss:
Sounds like you're nearly there with that combo.  Which Edelbrock intake do you have?
The cam you mentioned in your first post would probably be too small for the rest of your gear.

wheels:
Sorry mate, shoulda mentioned that! It's an old edelbrock torker. At the end of the day I don't know what my current cam is as it was put in the car by the PO. For all I know it could be running pretty well at its maximum now which is not as silly as it sounds remembering that this car was built specifically for the cannonball run thru NT. I spose before I do too much thinking I should really check compression and chuck it on a dyno to see what it's actually pulling! That'll tell me if there is any scope for improvement!

ThunderKiss:
Click here and scroll down to "Torker-Plus Camshaft kit".  That's the cam to go with the rest of your combo.
If your car has a some lope to the idle you may well have a cam similar to this already installed.
If you want more power but still want it streetable you need more cubes:).

66ccode:
Wheels,

I agree with Thunderkiss. Your combo sounds like it should be pulling like a train.
If you were contemplating a supercharger, for a lot less money, you could go with a stroker kit, which would fix two problems. it gives you more cubes, and can up your compression. both of these means you can run a much larger cam than the one your looking at.(assuming you go with a high stall)
I remember seeing a dyno printout on JM forum, i think it was from TWO89W with a similar combo pulling 250KW at the rears! If thats not enough for you, start spending big money.
BTW. Personally I dont like Double Pumpers on the the street. great for flat out high revs, but not very streatable. depends what you want to use the car for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version