Technical & General Discussion Area > Tech Torque Pre 1973

Cam Stuff

(1/3) > >>

wheels:
Hey Guys, heres a cam question for you. What should I expect out of this cam as compared to standard? Do I want this or something better?

ADVERTISED DURATION (.006" lift)
Intake 280 deg
Exhaust 289 deg
VALVE LIFT
Intake .450"
Exhaust .474"
DURATION @ .050" lift
Intake 204 deg
Exhaust 214 deg
LOBE SEPARATION 112 deg

If I need something better for serious street in a 302W with 351W heads please recommend something!
Thanks
Paul

ThunderKiss:
I have a 302w. The cam you're looking at looks pretty close to my cam.

It's specs are:
ADVERTISED DURATION
Intake 270 deg
Exhaust 280 deg
VALVE LIFT
Intake .448"
Exhaust .472"
DURATION @ .050" lift
Intake 204 deg
Exhaust 214 deg
LOBE SEPARATION 112 deg

I would class this cam as a stock factory replacement.  It idles smoothly and performs well to around 5000 rpm.

wheels:
So what specs do you recommend for a serious street engine. Don't forget I've got 351W heads on board. Hooked up to an auto as well with standard stall but I can soon fix that!;)

66ccode:
I've got the same cam in my 289 with the following combo.
stock heads
tri y extractors
21/4" twin system
edelbrock performer 289 intake
holley 465 street avenger carb
stock stall
2.8 diff.
136 KW at the rear wheels.

now I caused quite an upset on the JM forum by saying that this combo runs  a 14.5 quarter, but there you go.

Keep in mind that although you have 351 heads,(with the larger valves), unless you have flat top pistons, or have shaved the heads to raise the comp ration, you are likely to have pretty low compression, as the combustion chamber of the 351 is quite large compared to stck 289/302 heads. (prbably around 8:1)
this is going to seriously limit the size cam you can use.
I looked at going larger to something like the 214 224 but I was seriously limited by both compression and valve size.
Also anything bigger than what you are proposing, would require a higher stall converter.
(Im on the limit at the moment)
Find one one the engine simulator programs, and plug in your specs. They are pretty good.

ThunderKiss:
Wheels, I went for my cam because I had my motor built to Edelbrock's "Performer Plus" specs (without using their heads, I have GT40P's) and that was the one they recommended.  The reason I followed their specs was because it was a tried and tested combo and would work well.

To go to their next level of performance (Performer RPM) would have required a larger investment, not only to the motor but also trans and diff.  If you want more, go for a Performer RPM intake, 600-650 carb, their  RPM hydraulic or hydraulic roller cam, extractors etc.  This combo would also require a hi-stall and lower diff gears.  Your 351w heads would probably require a bit of work to get them to work with this combo.  They recommend screw in rocker studs and you'd want to increase the vavle size.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version