how to fit gemini booster and xf master cyl? c/w pics

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: how to fit gemini booster and xf master cyl? c/w pics  (Read 11206 times)

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 07:25:38 am »
There is no issue with doing something yourself, but do have it looked over by an engineer if you aren't sure.

As long as the bore and stroke of the master cylinder is the same as original, you should be fine.
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 10:51:28 am »
Originally posted by SUSPECT
This is the closest I've seen to an off the shelf "kit" in OZ.
http://www.sunburybrakes.com.au/prod198.htm
 But it is a "bitsa" and requires additional items for Mustangs. Comments ?

You can't use the Sunbury one on pre 67 cars no matter what they say, replacing the camber bolts will not fix the bump steer. Th drag link on early cars sitts in a different plain to 67 on cars. The early stub axles have the steering arms at a differnt hieght to compensate for this. To use falcon stubs on a pre 67 car you have to bend the steering arms to fix the bump steer. This is perfectly acceptible and DOT approved as long as you Magna flux the stubs to check for cracks.

With respect to booster solutions, there are many tried and proven ways to do this. The Gemini Booster/ Xb MC set up while I've never done it on Mustang is probably the most common method for hot rods, certainly in SE QLD and works very effectively. If you go into TBS and say I want a Gem booster for a 28 ford they know just what you need. My car is using a full XB set up, booster,MC & manual pedal box, but my firewall was fabbed to to suit this as part of the RHD conversion.
The real issue here is if people have the skill set to implement the upgrade. Know your limits, and if you are not confident don't do it, buy a ready made set up.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 01:14:28 pm »
Stainless Steel Brakes is another option.  Have a look at what is available for the Drum Brake conversion and what is included:

http://www.ssbrakes.com/content/images/catalogs/8060_web_small.pdf

From what I understand, SSB bought out all the old KH tooling and what they manufacture is as close to factory as you can get.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 01:17:14 pm »
Yes 67 will work, they are just selling you refrubed XF stuff for the front as far I'm aware. They don't really need rear disc's for normal use. You could do the same yourself with a set of XY- XF stubs and calipers from the wreckers, they will need a frensh up of course and some hoses etc. XY on, stubs, disc'c calipers are in my opinion the best all round option on these 67 on cars.
These are what GT falcons used. XY XA, early XB use smaller bearing hubs, if you want to run factory styled wheels etc you need these. If you get a set from the wreckers, a new set of standard rotors are about $35 each, seal kitts are about $15 per caliper, hopefully the pistons are alright, if not allow for these, Pads any where from $28 to what depending on what you want, again you can buy drilled /slotted rotors etc as well. some custom hoses about $40 each. You will need to use falcon outer tie rod ends.   I don't consider the RRS stuff, I don't see the value in it really.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 03:25:05 pm »
Shaun, I am soon going to do a disc brake conv. on my '66 using the XY rotor/ Commodore caliper setup. I was offered a set of XY stubs with calipers & rotors. Will these fit a '66.
Dave
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 03:39:04 pm »
Yeah but you need to mod the steering arms on the stubs or you'll get adverse bump steer this is the main issue with fitting Falcon stuff to pre 67 cars. I'd call John Greene at Probe Engineering in Wynnum, I think he can help you with this. I think he can mod and test the stubs for you, or at least he used to. Once you do this you're sweet, and you can then buy the bits brake pads rotors etc anywhere to keep it going down the track. It will widen the track a bit also.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 03:42:32 pm »
66fbk, sorry I didn't read you post correctly, if john mods the falcon stubs for you you can use the entire Falcon set up, no commodore stuff. I theroy the falcon/ Commodore mix is not really aproved in QLD. Talk to John he will help you.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 03:45:33 pm »
SSBC seem to be the best aftermarket / Std fit option around, however you still have the shipping issue. Unless you know some who is bringing in a car at the time, or your buying a heap of gear and shipping it together... buying one thing at a time just isnt cost effective.

67 is fine with Falcon stuff, save your money. The XF calipers are alloy you can bead blast or polish them so they look nice trough your wheels if you want. Make sure the stubs you get are from a short wheel base car, ie a sedan not a wagon or Fairlane, the steering arms are a liitle different.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 03:47:23 pm »
Oh and use XF top control arms while you are there to get rid of those greasable top inner bushes, XF arms are braced as well.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 04:19:51 pm »
SSBC seem to be the best aftermarket / Std fit option around, however you still have the shipping issue. Unless you know some who is bringing in a car at the time, or your buying a heap of gear and shipping it together... buying one thing at a time just isnt cost effective.

A couple of the parts dealers in oz bring the gear in.  Capital Classics definately stocks it.  

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 04:21:24 pm »
Originally posted by shaunp
Oh and use XF top control arms while you are there to get rid of those greasable top inner bushes, XF arms are braced as well.
 Thoroughly recommend that setup - I'm running it in my '67 coupe

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 04:55:10 pm »
This is the commodore caliper setup with the adaptor braket from Mustangs of Melbourne. It bolts up to the standard drum 65/66 stubs. I am holding off using it until I am happy with it or something better comes along. The down side is I can't run my 14" magnums wheels with this setup. Either way, it is a proven mod and anything is better than the current front drums. Has anyone used this setup before?
Dave
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 07:51:24 pm »
Pretty sure this is not aproved in QLD, give John a call, pretty sure he can fiw the xy stubs/brakes for you and these will work with your wheels.

Offline olskool

• Worked
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 08:56:48 pm »
Originally posted by Hisss
Best solution - chuck this rubbish in the bin and buy the proper Ford or authentic replacement parts in the can where they belong !

Anybody advocating this gemini/hq/xf mixture is a bozo !

It "may" work for automotive engineers who understand brake issues, but when the "correct" parts are available, to use conjured up solutions is madness.

Is you life worth a lousy few bucks for rubbish?  Mine sure is - went original and it works and it's covered by product supplier insurance.

I'm a "bozo" I have HZ rotors and Calipers on my LH Torana front end, Gemini booster in my 39 Willys........
HZ discs HX calipers on HT front end with VB commondore M/C in 37 Chev.....
And VE Calipers, BA rotors with XB M/C in the 66 Nag.....

Hydraulics is not rocket science and if no one put time into these ideas "HOTRODDING" would never of taken off, or Motorsport for eg.
Harley Davidson - The most efficient way to turn fuel into noise without the benefit of horsepower.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
  • Name: Rob
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 09:46:15 pm »
;y;+
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 10:20:29 pm »
Originally posted by olskool

I'm a "bozo" I have HZ rotors and Calipers on my LH Torana front end, Gemini booster in my 39 Willys........
HZ discs HX calipers on HT front end with VB commondore M/C in 37 Chev.....
And VE Calipers, BA rotors with XB M/C in the 66 Nag.....

Hydraulics is not rocket science and if no one put time into these ideas "HOTRODDING" would never of taken off, or Motorsport for eg.

Amen, brother :(
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline olskool

• Worked
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 02:53:21 pm »
Imports are like Tampons ...

:w Classic !

Hey "bozo", I take it that combo wont fit under 14"s?

Shaun / Mo, I think i might have asked this before, but what MC/Booster combo would be used for the XP setup?

Na 15's is the minimum with Ba rotor/Ve calipers

Obviously I'm refering to doof doof too fast too stoopid jap imports :(
Harley Davidson - The most efficient way to turn fuel into noise without the benefit of horsepower.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2009, 11:49:09 am »
Imports are like Tampons ...

:w Classic !

Hey "bozo", I take it that combo wont fit under 14"s?

Shaun / Mo, I think i might have asked this before, but what MC/Booster combo would be used for the XP setup?

Suspect I like to just use XB falcon booster and master cylinder as it's a matched set and pretty cheap, you can still but new M/Cs off the shelf. You need to shorten the pedal push rod on the boooster a bit and pack it off the fire wall but it goes straight on the LHD mustang pedal. Also fit the correct size falcon rear wheel cylinders so the rears don't lock.

Offline MILD67

• Worked
  • Name: Rob
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 07:03:59 pm »
can i use ford xf hoses for the front from caliper to hard line?
Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an 67, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on MOCA, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car...................

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 07:32:25 pm »
I just get them made at TBS, they cost like $40 each for any end you want. Braided are extra. I've never tried I just take the old drum one down and tell them the lenght I want to get to Falcon caliper.