Soda Blasting

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Soda Blasting  (Read 2075 times)

Offline 6pakdave

• Thoroughbred
Soda Blasting
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:51:42 pm »
 Has anyone here had a full car Soda blasted? Whats the pro's n cons . Heard all the 'stories' from mates mates of mates!
 Looking to know if you were happy with it for the $$ ?

cheers  Dave

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
Soda Blasting
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 08:44:37 pm »
I was gonna go down that path, but decided against it....once they soda blast in between doors etc, how would you then get rid of the residue?....I've been told its good for small parts but not for doing something like a whole car....
I'm no expert I only just looked into it......after some advice from forum members and others have decided to go with bead-blasting instead.....whole car, including engine bay and inside of car for $1800 I think is unbeatable.

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Soda Blasting
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:29:30 pm »
Pro's are that any residue is water soluable and therefore can be removed unlike other media and dosnt generate as much heat as some other media thus reducing the likelyhood of warping the panels.
I have not done a complete car but the separate panels I've had done worked a treat and given the opportunity that would be my choice of media.

I'm sure others have more pro's and some con's.
cheers
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
Soda Blasting
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:01:56 am »
I've posted here previously re soda blasting and the majority advised it was good for small bits and pieces but not for a whole car, also, you'd need to "wash" it down, and how would you wet bare metal without it rusting??

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Soda Blasting
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:43:52 am »
Originally posted by stangLover
I've posted here previously re soda blasting and the majority advised it was good for small bits and pieces but not for a whole car, also, you'd need to "wash" it down, and how would you wet bare metal without it rusting??

The rusting  would be surface rust and this is a prerequiste to rust treatments using a phosphoric acid base.
The rust is converted from from iron oxide to iron phosphate and when I say rust, I mean an very thin layer probably only a molecule or two thick.
So the washing down isnt really a problem. When the vehicle is blasted with other media it is very difficult to get rid of and dont be surprised if some dosnt appear as you are painting. So I guess everyone has a preference and mine just happens to be soda.
cheers.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100