Monte Claro Bar installation

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Monte Claro Bar installation  (Read 5538 times)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 09:55:07 am »
Originally posted by EXHAUSTED
I can't believe you guy's have had so many problems. My export brace and monte carlo bars just slipped into place perfectly, No puffing, grunting, & not too many cold ones to relax everything!

That's cause your car is straight and not sagged. The other thig is if possible don't use the monty bar with the curve around the distrutor as they are not a stiff as the straiight ones.

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 04:37:44 pm »
I am pretty happy with the bar at the moment as it is much better than none and everythings is where it should be now. Little things like the bonnet closes nicely, the steering feels better & no squeaks. Your right about a straight bar. Even though the curve bar is pretty rigid, it did flex slightly when I took the jack out. I am going back to a smaller electronic dizzy soon so if it will clear the bar I may think about a straight bar next time. Can't believe I said  next time....

Dave:f
He, with the most toys wins.

Offline GT350H

• Worked
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2009, 09:02:31 am »
Originally posted by 66FBK
I am pretty happy with the bar at the moment as it is much better than none and everythings is where it should be now. Little things like the bonnet closes nicely, the steering feels better & no squeaks. Your right about a straight bar. Even though the curve bar is pretty rigid, it did flex slightly when I took the jack out. I am going back to a smaller electronic dizzy soon so if it will clear the bar I may think about a straight bar next time. Can't believe I said  next time....

Dave:f

;z
Dave, trust me mate, from what you've been through - there wont be a next time. Only kidding mate, its amazing how we forget pain!!

The FB looks great and its good to hear that you've noticed a difference. I put my Monte-Carlo bar in last week and the 66 feels abit better ( definetely more rigid under steering and cornering ).

Just curious, did you end up putting the "extra" bolt on top?

Cheers

John
AKA Emberglo-66

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2009, 04:49:40 pm »
John, i haven't got around to putting the extra bolt in yet. I want to get the same type of bolt to go in there. I don't think it will move too far in the mean time.
Dave

Offline GT350H

• Worked
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 08:24:01 pm »
Originally posted by 66FBK
John, i haven't got around to putting the extra bolt in yet. I want to get the same type of bolt to go in there. I don't think it will move too far in the mean time.
Dave  

Yeah, I was contemplating the same thing. I ended up drilling a hole in the guard. I hope I did the right thing.

Cheers
AKA Emberglo-66

Offline tom289

• Pony
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2009, 04:47:30 pm »
hey 66fbk

after your post re monte carlo bar, i went out and bought one
and installed this morning, the car is tighter and runs flatter around corners, great mod for under 60.00 dollars and an hour
of my time, i recommend this mod for early mustangs

rgds

tom....  

Offline rick ross the boss

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2009, 09:52:11 pm »
hey 66fbk,

i'll be putting one in mine (got my 66 yesterday) as also as a result of this thread so cheers!!

michael
'bags are for groceries'

[marquee]
[/marquee]
'bags are for groceries'

Offline 66FBK

• Worked
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2009, 09:49:06 pm »
Good to hear fellas. This is a good site to bounce ideas around and get some useful info.
P.S. There is another mod I am looking at with the 65/66 using the reversing lights as indicators by changing the bulb to an orange one & changing some wiring around.  This came about after some near misses with people being confused about the blinking stop lights. I will post a topic on it soon.
Cheers
Dave

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2009, 11:03:52 pm »
I reckon that's an essential mod 66FBK, front and back. In strong daylight people are having a good squizz at the car and don't seem to pick up the white indicators at the front, or the red ones in the tail lights at the back.

We forget that most drivers under about 60 would never have seen white or red indicators.

I fitted upgraded H4 Halogen headlights with internal parking lights, so I could then use the small lower lights just for the front indicators, with amber lens.  Deleted the reversing lights and wired them as the rear indicators, again with amber lenses. It's a good idea to fit headlight relays for these more powerful headlights.

So no screeches of brakes, rude names or one fingered salutes (other than from the missus) since then.  :(

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 08:43:06 am »
Originally posted by 66RedRagtop
Deleted the reversing lights and wired them as the rear indicators, again with amber lenses.

so what do you use for reversing lights?

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2009, 10:01:10 am »
The same light's, you just swap the brake light switch for the rev lights switch under the dash, then use what used to be the indator/brake wires in the boot to run the now indicator/ rev lights and the rev lights  wire are now the brake lights wire..

Offline rick ross the boss

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 09:15:42 am »
Bump, thought I would use this topic instead of starting another to ask where I would buy a new monte carlo bar for a 66 coupe. I understand they are under 100AUS? Is there somewhere that sells these new off the shelves and if so where? If not where would be the quickest and cheapest place to source one? I'm located in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Michael
'bags are for groceries'

[marquee]
[/marquee]
'bags are for groceries'

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 09:29:04 am »
Mo, I've got powerful security lights in the driveway and only park the car in well lit spots if out at night, so I haven't missed not having the reversing lights.

It was a trade off for the benefit of the amber indicators, but I do keep a powerful torch in the car just in case.

Michael for a Monte Carlo bar, Mustangs of Melbourne in Canterbury Road Kilsyth have them for black finish $40 or chrome $55, so cheap as chips.

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2009, 10:01:52 am »
Just picked up export bar and monte carlo set for mine for $82. I'll just have it thrown in the car before it comes over.
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2009, 10:25:18 am »
did you get the straight or the curved monte carlo bar hybrid??

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2009, 11:13:20 am »
I went for the curved one, because I'm going to be injecting mine and not sure what clearance I will need at the moment.
I will replace/modify it down the track if I feel it needs it and I have room.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2009, 11:36:18 am »
You can get a mulit point manifold from a bronco that has a central throtle body, this looks pretty stock, but still gives you 8 injectors. Like wise Edelbrock make similar central throttle body mainfolds. Apart from the fuel rails and wires the engine looks like it is stock, and you have no clearance issues, with tower braces etc.

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 12:07:52 pm »
I might be going for individual throttle bodies and making my own manifold. Not sure yet!

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2009, 12:12:33 pm »
You can get a webber manifold made here by Redline, and then you use those weber type throttle bodies, that would look cool and flow some air, that's for sure.

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 12:36:11 pm »
I'm hoping to get some TB's similar to the ones I used on my bike.
If I'm lucky, I'll get those for $0

I might still be able to use a webber type manifold, but I would have to make up some adapters, because these throttle bodies just have a round flange on the end that you would connect hose to - like a bike carby.

Hmm.. actually, I could probably weld a flange to the bottom of the throttle bodies to suit the webber manifold. Do you know if they do a boss one? I'm considering using Clevo heads :+

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 01:01:41 pm »
Looks like they only do Clevo TB manifolds.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2009, 01:24:17 pm »
http://www.holleycarbs.com.au/company.htm

12-302/
12-101  Ford Quad Weber Downdraft Manifold to suit 289/302 Windsor V8 44-48IDF Weber Carbs 42-31 16-44