Technical & General Discussion Area > Importing Cars & Parts - General Freight

real or fake 65 gt mustang

(1/2) > >>

gypsyjoker:
I recently went to view a 65 mustang in need of a resto and was told by the owner that it was a gt apart from the obvious int and ext  mods how can you truly know it is a gt?

i have heard that it has got something to do with the exhaust brackets??????

nassi:
Welcome gypsyjoker, there is a difference in the exhaust mounts for a "factory GT" as opposed to a dealer GT or a fake. I'm sure someone will correct me if Im wrong, but where the exhaust hangers should be located to the frame rail, there will be a small inspection hole, place your little pinky in the hole and feel for a crush tube where the mount bolt goes. A Factory GT will have this on both sides.
Some other things to look for are on the door tag the letter in the date code should be P through V. The fog light wiring is routed through two factory-punched holes, one on either side of the radiator support panel.
There are a lot of other things but these could be added at anytime.
Hope this helps
nassi

usa289:
Hi Nassi.... you are spot on although I was unaware of the date code being P through to V.

When I bought my 66 GT, I used this site as a reference and checked out ALL the points identified.....

http://www.karmustang.com/factory_gts.php

and from my observations ..... tHere are many GT equipped "C" codes out there    .....

Good luck gypsyjoker!

Terry G.

nassi:
Good site with good info, thanks Terry.
nassi

gypsyjoker:
THANKS GUYS SOME REALLY HELPFUL INFO CHEERS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version