real or fake 65 gt mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: real or fake 65 gt mustang  (Read 7337 times)

Offline gypsyjoker

• L Plates
« on: July 09, 2006, 09:12:38 pm »
I recently went to view a 65 mustang in need of a resto and was told by the owner that it was a gt apart from the obvious int and ext  mods how can you truly know it is a gt?

i have heard that it has got something to do with the exhaust brackets??????

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 08:23:05 pm »
Welcome gypsyjoker, there is a difference in the exhaust mounts for a "factory GT" as opposed to a dealer GT or a fake. I'm sure someone will correct me if Im wrong, but where the exhaust hangers should be located to the frame rail, there will be a small inspection hole, place your little pinky in the hole and feel for a crush tube where the mount bolt goes. A Factory GT will have this on both sides.
Some other things to look for are on the door tag the letter in the date code should be P through V. The fog light wiring is routed through two factory-punched holes, one on either side of the radiator support panel.
There are a lot of other things but these could be added at anytime.
Hope this helps
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline usa289

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 09:07:49 pm »
Hi Nassi.... you are spot on although I was unaware of the date code being P through to V.

When I bought my 66 GT, I used this site as a reference and checked out ALL the points identified.....

http://www.karmustang.com/factory_gts.php

and from my observations ..... tHere are many GT equipped "C" codes out there    .....

Good luck gypsyjoker!

Terry G.
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 08:16:24 pm »
Good site with good info, thanks Terry.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline gypsyjoker

• L Plates
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 02:37:32 pm »
THANKS GUYS SOME REALLY HELPFUL INFO CHEERS

Offline dta308

• Stallion
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 04:42:01 pm »
Here are a few tips for you for a factory GT. First of all the engine code in the Vin number 5 digit, must be an "A" or "K" code. Both mean Factory 4V, "A" code is 289 Challenger Special 225hp, and "K" code is 289 High Performance 271HP. This is a "A" code 289 Challenger Special car. All GT's had Disc Brakes up front, as does this car. Only GT cars had Dual exhaust unless it was a HiPo. GT cars dual exhausted exited out the rear valance, with Exhaust Trumpet Tips. GT's had special optional 3 racing strips down the rocker panels of the car, Special GT badges and M U S T A N G letters on the fenders. Also they had GT Gas Cap. They had Fog Lamps also in the Grill area. They could either come with standard Interior or Deluxe Pony, this car is Pony interior. Also they had a quicker ratio steering box, and sightly upgraded suspension. So how do you tell a Factory GT. There are really 3 different ways to tell. 1st if you have an original invoice that is a good way to start. 2nd, the rear frame rails in back, have some reinforcements in them. If you look underneath the car in the rear, and look at the bottom of the framerail, on the bottom right infront of the rear spring shackle, you will see a small hole about the size of a dime. If you stick your finger in it, and feel back toward the shackle there will be a vertical reinforcement plate that will stop your finger, on both frame rails. It is about an 1" back. If there is no stop in there, you have a clone, only GT Dual Exhaust cars had this reinforcement for the exhaust hangers. This car has them on both sides, and has its original frame rails. Here is another key, turn on the fog lamps by themselves, if the rear tail lights turn on, with the fog lights you have the correct wiring. Many people when they try to clone these cars don't realize this.

David

Offline Herman

• Blue Printed
  • A bit of concours nutter, but I'm still learning!!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 02:16:09 pm »
There is also one more place you can look to see whether the car is a Factory GT.  For Metuchen and Dearborn factory used a butt tag with PIO stamped on it.  This PIO stands for performance Image Option which inidicates the car is a Factory GT and not a dealer GT.  However there is really one way to tell and that is by having the build sheet or the orginal dealer sheets.

Herman
Have now converted the other half into doing some of the Concours washin, cleaning & polishing stuff!!!!!!!!

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 08:05:15 pm »
Hi Phill,
the P through V theory is from a Mustang recognition guide, and they suggest the GT pack was not available until late February this gives us the "P", now the "V" I'm not so sure on as the 66 was introduced on September 16 (another reference) so this leaves 16 days of possible "W" code I guess.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100