Global Auto Industry & Mustang future?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Global Auto Industry & Mustang future?  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:50:06 pm »
In the US the government is going to have to support the ailing automotive industry with billions of dollars to keep the likes of GM and Chrysler afloat.

Closer to home GM – Holden will be impacted as thousands of jobs in GM globally are lost.  I believe the planned release of the Cadillac in Australia has now been shelved.  Other plans to reduce cost will see a focus on limiting product ranges etc to minimise costs.

No doubt Ford will also be taking similar measures with platforms and product offerings being rationalised.  I’m still not sure of what will become of the Mustang as a result of this; will it continue as a product offering? If so will the Falcon and Mustang share the same platform?  What will this do to cost? Will it mean that the Mustang is offered by Ford Australia?

What do you think? :o

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:22:40 pm »
There not touching my mustang!

A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:37:37 pm »
I think that globally, they will have to (and should have already done) something like the Camaro, where they got a VE commodore, moved the wheels around, and put a new body on it.
GM only have the Commodore, Camaro and Corvette as RWD cars.
Ford I think still have the Crown Vic, and the Mustang. The Mustang is too high in production, for it to be shelved, or imported. The US industy won't let them import that many cars. That is why the GTO/Monaro was sold in such small numbers, as they weren't allowed to import too many.

I would think the new Crown Vic, Falcon and Mustang will be fairly similar underneath soon.
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 06:38:23 pm »
Heaven that little girl has an uncanny resemblance to a little girl at home here that screams like that when daddy goes out in the Mustang without her!!!

so does BLKPony do you think we will see a falcon body on Mustang platform?

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:37:29 pm »
I would think that the Crown Vic and the Falcon could/should share a platform, and the Mustang should be a variation of it, maybe shorter wheelbase, less overhangs, revised mounting points for suspension etc, but same/similar basic architecture.

The problem so far, has been Ford US's resistance to bringing the Crown Vic into the 21st century. It is about as advanced as an EL Falcon.....  On the other hand, Ford Australia are afraid the Falcon with get "Dumbed Down" if the silly yanks get to design it, which will hand the last few large car sales they have, to the Commodore.

When we sent the Monaro to the US, we had to "Dumb it Down", small wheels, basic interior, basically they got a V8 version of the CV6. It was a "Povo Pack", whereas ours was a Calais.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline Cruzn65

• Worked
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 10:04:42 pm »
with other manufactuers sharpening the pencil and going for single platforms the search for finding competitve advantage will be on..... so maybe the manufactuers will look for upgraded features as selling points and thus bringing the Aussie Falcon into the fold?

I guess the other factor to consider is how many combustion powered cars will be offered V electric or hybrid........:o

Offline ScottQLD

• Worked
    • http://www.stangtv.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 10:17:35 pm »
Looking at alot of the American built cars while i was there, i must say i was dissapointed with many of them..
This might be going out on a limb... But i think if we were alowed to build the Mustang here, we would do a better job!! There i said it!!....  ;2

What is the Bosses name at Ford Aust again? I might send him a letter and see if he is up to the task!!  :p

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 10:42:00 pm »
Electric cars are still a way's off, and Hydrogen? Forget it! Where can you fill up??

Electric cars are nowhere, an hour of use, then 6 - 8 hours to recharge. A petrol car can drive for 4 - 8 hours, and take 5 minutes to refill.
No-one will put up with that inconvenience, especially when you are paying a lot more for the priveledge (sp).
And Hybrids are even more laughable! A Prius costs more to buy, PLUS it costs Toyota $10,000+ to sell it to you!! Thats right, they sell at a loss. They are wierd to drive, and get worse economy than a Turbo Diesel Euro car, for similar money, and similar maintenance costs.
Never mind they take a lot more Greenhouse Gasses to build.

They say when you DO get to buy an electric car, you will buy the car, and lease the batteries, as they don't want to burden buyers with owning junk batteries, and they will be able to implement any advances in battery technology sooner.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:48:11 pm »
Originally posted by BLKPNY
Electric cars are still a way's off, and Hydrogen? Forget it! Where can you fill up??

In California you just fill up with hydrogen as you would with petrol. I dont know how many stations are available but the price and range is on a par with petrol. Watching "Topgear" the other night, it actually looks like an alternative if suppliers can afford the infrastructure. Comparable perfrmance and range.
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:24:55 am »
But in Australia, we don't have a Hydrogen station anywhere.
Perhaps we could ask the Supagas/BOC gas type places to start off, but there aren't enough of them around, to make it worthwhile.
Petrol stations aren't going to want to install Hydrogen, to cater for a couple of cars. So the Government would have to pay, or the consumer. There goes your similar prices. and if the price/range/performance is on par, whats the point? Everyone will mean to get one, but won't, due to the inconvenience. It just isn't practical.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 07:30:23 am »
Fair point BLKPNY and I agree.  People won't buy something like that without the appropriate infrastructure in place.

I thought they tried something similar by introducing CNG, but it has very limited fill stations.
People still use the fact that LPG is not available at all petrol stations so they use that as an excuse not to buy it.  Ford tried to dispel the myth by driving an LPG only falcon around australia.

Offline ScottQLD

• Worked
    • http://www.stangtv.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 10:18:17 am »
We are always too quick to say "We Cant"  Gvt just has to pull their fingers out and bite the bullet...  Prices will be the issue at the begining as it was for the VCR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52L-nQ-LTew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J94TkaqoI_g&feature=related  

:a  :o

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 11:06:58 am »
I only watched the first one, by Top Gear, and was impressed. As Jay Leno said, Driving one during the week, saves petrol for the toy on the weekend!

No mention of what it costs to build, and without batteries, should not make too many black balloons to build.
Custom Mustangs
For Email CLICK HERE
Signature Sponsor

Offline Frank70

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 12:03:48 pm »
I was more impressed by Jay Leno's garage !!!!

Garage dreams are made there !

Cheers,
Frank.