Moving to Oz

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Moving to Oz  (Read 6019 times)

Offline gzminiz

• L Plates
Moving to Oz
« on: July 04, 2006, 05:28:07 am »
I have a 67 mustang that I am currently in the process of restoring.  It really is nothing more then a shell at this moment in time.  The motor is out of the car and it has no tranny, suspension rear end, etc.  Just a body and a block.  I am moving to OZ and was wondeirng a few things.

1) does it have to be converted to RHD to be driven on the roads (not a daily driver)

2) how do parts compare in pricing and availability to US?

3) Has anyone done this, am I better off getting most of the parts in US and bringing them over?

I have to get a container to move furniture and stuff for the house and was planning on just placing the mustang in that.  Is it ok to do this without suspension or do I need to get the chasis rolling at least.

Thanks a bunch,
Eric

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
Moving to Oz
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 07:29:48 pm »
Welcome Eric, the does not have to be coverted to RHD, full rego is available in all states, though each state has its own little pet issues. Definately get your parts in the US, in fact fill the car with everything you think you might need. If possible get suspension and a drive line bolted up also, you will save money.
From my experience, buying parts locally cost about 3 X the US price, this is due mainly to freight and exchange rates.
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
Moving to Oz
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 09:21:12 am »
Hi Eric,
 Where in the USA are you moving from? I would suggest contacting someone like Atlas Vanlines, I am in the International Relocation Industry, and have seen many partly restored cars being brought in to both NZ and Aussie. I do know that the big expense your end will be the loading of the container, so if you can somehow arrange for it to be done, or do it your self, you will save yourself alot of money. Where in Australia are you moving to?, I maybe able to give you an email address, and they would be more than happy to answer any further questions you may have. Feel free to email me if you require any more help. brett_thomson@mim.net.au

Offline dropbearracing

• Stallion
Moving to Oz
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 09:34:52 pm »
HELLO ERIC,  JUST BE WARNED ABOUT THE DANGEROUS DROPBEARS IN AUSTRALIA. GIVE ALL THE OTHER STATES A MISS , JUST MOVE TO SYDNEY N.S.W., BEST PLACE DOWN UNDER.:]

Offline mustangsrgr8

• Stallion
Moving to Oz
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 04:26:32 pm »
Hi, I had a Mustang imported from USA about 15 months ago, did it myself through a friend in USA who sold me the car. I used Australian Vanlines for shipping and was very happy with their service and prices. You can put anything in the car to be shipped over so bring as much as you can, I've had most of my parts shipped from USA but need some floor pans and the cost of shipping is going to make me faint, if you could bring some over for me I would pay you well :(  Make sure you don't have any removeable parts on the outside of the car coz chances are it won't be there when your car arrives (my back louvres went missing ), probably removed at the wharves, who knows? Please email me if you can help with the floorpans, and welcome to Oz when you get here. Cheers, Judy  ;{