Vin Numbers on collectable stang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Vin Numbers on collectable stang  (Read 8796 times)

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 07:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by T-CODE KID
dont know how they can overstamp a previous letter ?
but that K does look odd underneath .................

You wouldn't restamp the car you'd buy a new inner skirt, weld it in and stamp that, Anyone need some stamps? I've got the correct size ones.

Offline usa289

• Worked
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 09:18:53 pm »
My two bobs worth .. looks like a nice car ... but in this financial climate and for the asking price, I would like to have some pedigree thanks .... I think there would be other K" codes with authenticity (and make that origionality. eg all numbers matching including origional engine) for about the same asking price or less ... and one that would hold its value a touch better too!

How about this one... asking $32,500US .. landed here for say $55,000AU at most ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-K-Code-HI-PO-66-GT-289-271-HP-HI-PO-4SP-K-code-MUSTANG-FASTBACK-IVY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a3Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem190281991771QQitemZ190281991771QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline Shermatt

• Top Streeter
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 10:49:25 pm »
Well this is my my 2cents

The vin does look suspect but after comparing the two side by side I am with shaunp

It looks as if the entire vin has been restamped (thats just my opinion)

The "K" does not look the same and the rest of the vin seems to be very fine stamps compared to the one that USA289 has found on ebay. (taking into account that one is painted) they still look diferent.

For that sort of money I would shelby monkey's jumpin out the glovebox

Somethin certainly sets off alarm bells to me....good call for throwing it to the forum

Offline 2+266

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 09:18:27 am »
is this car in the hipo registry?

Offline us2oz

• L Plates
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 12:21:43 pm »
 I swore that I would not get drawn in to this ridiculous argument over the originality of my K code fastback but now that the argument is leaning towards this car & me the seller being somehow fraudulent well that just makes my blood boil(you should be concerned about the guy with the correct number punches).I think you have acheived your objective & scared away a potential buyer from what is a very nice fastback mustang with all the speculation & misinformation about this car I wonder wheather he will even buy a car at all now? Yeah, good call coming to this forum,not!!The man is just now totally confused & suspicious.I fully agree that anyone purchasing a car of this nature & price should ask as many questions as possible,do there homework on methods & areas of id(there is a huge range of litrature available in books & on many web sites which detail the FACTS on how to go about this)then come & veiw the vehicle talk to me,hell i,ll lend him one of the dozens of books I have,& carryout your checks then if you are still not satisfied walk away no harm done!To have one lousy picture on the forum & some come to the conclusion that its a fake makes me laugh(I like the one about turning my laptop upside down,when I tried it I got a sore neck & learnt how to spell Toshiba backwards but the vin still looked the same just upside down?). I like the example of what you can buy in the US for 32.5k US in fact I am offended that you even put my car in the same category as that thing,obviously you did not see the poor floor pan replacements,bent & buckled sub frame ,riveted inner rear quarters,damaged radiator support area,rewelded casterbar mounts non original engine,worn interior,faded carpets & driver quality paint & thats only what I can see in the photos!+ it has no supporting paperwork to prove its even a GT & its 10,000 miles away but other than that looks good.You say that this car will cost 55k landed in AUS,how did you come to this conclusion?At the moment you would get .62 cent for your aussie dollar so total car cost is approx.52,500au then you have shipping at roughly 3800au + gst at around4,700au + Luxury car tax(cars over 51,100au aprox)& the car is in oklahoma so you have around 900us in land shipping as well & possibly dealer fees & inspection fees,so all up were now in the mid 60,s.This brings me to my next point,my car is here now & I have a hoist & leadlight which any one is welcome to use,how many other sellers offer this service?You know,everyones an expert when it comes to Mustangs but as I said I think the best advice would of been to Talk to the seller,do your homework factually,look at the car then make a truly informed decision.As for the way I have presented my car in the Ebay listing I dont let anyone tell me how to write my ads & suffice to say I have not portrayed it as numbers matching engine & have not & would not sell it as such,I do like to talk to a perspective buyer so I can give them the full story though so I keep the script to a minimum,but I know you are entitled to your opinion.As the owner of one of Sydneys few Usmusclecar exclusive sales & import centres & the popular usmuscelcars.com.au web site & a committee member of the AMCCA I feel I am qualified to make these observations,so I stand by my previous posting & will make this my last on the subject.
    Thanks                           Mick...................      

Offline mswyld

• Stallion
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 01:59:01 pm »
Originally posted by us2oz
 Wow,the mystery sorrounding the identity of this car is worthy of an X files movie!.Heres a novel idea,why doesn,t the perspective buyer pick up the phone & ask me a few questions about the authenticity of the car or better still come over & check it out ,I put my phone No: in all my listing for that reason,then I would tell him(or her)that the car does have all the correct stampings on the body(including aprons & diff tag + K code correct  pinion snubber ,door tag & steering box etc.What is not original is the 67 A code motor (small H/balancer should have been the givaway there?)& G/box.As for the quality of the stamping on the n/s inner apron I have about 6 mustangs in stock & none of them look the same maybe its something to do with the fact that they were not stamped by robots 45yrs ago!Anyway we,ll save that mystery for the next X files episode ,at least this one is now solved.Having said all this this car is absolutely stunning condition & if it were completely Number Matching than the price would be 10 to 15k higher.  

no doubt its a beautiful car but 67k is alot of dosh and a potential buyer has every right to find out how to check themselves of how to tell the genuine from non genuine becuase unfortunelty there are people out there that make us warey of what we are buying

but i do agree with you I have seen a heap of vins imprinted and the depth is all uneven

also like the other guys on here I would ask first too! :f:f:f

Offline usa289

• Worked
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 04:32:26 pm »
I have just scanned back on all previous posts relating to this topic and it reinforces just why I visit here often and why I feel it is so beneficial to me .....it's the fact that everyone feels free to express an OPINION in order to HELP each other!

USA289

Caveat venditor - "let the seller beware".
Caveat emptor - "let the buyer beware".
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]

Offline 66ROX

• Worked
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 04:50:02 pm »
Easy way to solve this sort of delema is to buy a "restomod", that way you don't have to worry about originality. Buy a T code with a V8 thrown in, heaps cheaper. hehehehehe.

I still like the colour.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 04:51:06 pm »
It comes down to if you are buying what should be a special car you need to know, it is that car. I said I have the correct stamps, why because over the years I have had to stamp cars that needed rails, skirts etc replaced due to damage. This car could be a car that had a smack in the front, in which case this should be clear to some one who knows. It maybe a real car but with out a close look you would never know. In any case as the vendor says it has the wrong engine etc, any buyer needs to factor this in to a purchase. I once repaired a Chateau mouve LJ XU1 torana that hit a tree, the only part that was original was from the A pillars forward and one door, the back 1/2 and one door was from a bog standard S torana. These are the traps of old cars. That Torana may be worth $80k now as a matching number car  with a JP block which it had at the time, but until you strip the paint you won't know I cut and shut it in 1990.

Offline Brock

• Pony
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 06:22:40 pm »
If you put that VIN number into the hipo registry,it says that it is wrong body type for that VIN,should be 5F07K368804,making it a 2-door hard-top?!

Offline blackbox

• Worked
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 07:41:56 pm »
He has the right to enquire when buying a packet of chips as to what he is getting, let alone a $65K car. It is the buyers right.
If a forum with a wealth of experience which you could not buy for any amount of money happens to be where he enquires, so be it.
The seller should have no say in any enquiries the buyer makes. Thats the buyers right.
James.

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 08:00:12 pm »
Could have been done by the apprentice on the production line...

Offline Muzzy 66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 10:20:47 pm »
Ah the internet....

Is anyone right or wrong ...No..

Is this what forums are for...Yes..

Everyones intitled to ask what ever questions they wish.

Anyone is entitled to answer any of them.

And then there is always U2U....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

66 Muzzy Coupe

Offline davo65

• Stallion
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 03:28:11 pm »
For all you conspiracy theorists out there, I stumbled across a 65 K Code convertible on eBay US (see link). Guess what, it has 'overstamped' 8 and K!

Those buggers at the Dearborn plant really knew how to mess with peoples minds, didn't they!