'Phantom Expander' targets New Zealand hoons

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: 'Phantom Expander' targets New Zealand hoons  (Read 5323 times)

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
  • Name: "Moe"
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:52:54 am »
Source:  http://www.abc.net.au/news

An anonymous New Zealander fed up with hoons causing havoc on the country's roads is getting even.

Armed with cans of expanding foam, he has been targeting cars with big exhaust pipes.

He calls himself "The Phantom Expander".

New Zealand's hoons are known as boy racers and they have been big news this week, after 300 of them ambushed a police officer in Christchurch and hurled beer bottles at him.

The government is now considering introducing a law, allowing police to confiscate and crush the cars of bad behaving petrol heads.

But in Blenheim, a little city right at the top of the south island, one local has come up with his own form of punishment, and it comes in a can.

Lance Dodd is editor of Blenheim's local newspaper, the Marlborough Express.

"Last week we received an anonymous letter from someone who signed it 'The Phantom Expander' and he was saying he's taken it upon himself to respond to the socially maladjusted Blenheim pinheads that have chosen to have wide mouth boy racer exhaust installed on their car," Mr Dodd said.

"And he went on to say he was now taking action and squirting builders foam, the expanding foam, that sets hard, into the exhausts of these cars, and that he would carry on doing it."

But the paper does not print anonymous letters, so they told their photographers to hit the road and find some victims.

Blenheim has only got 10,000 residents, and it was not long before one snapper hit the jackpot.

"Our photographer just happened to notice a car as he was walking down the street. It had white foam in the exhaust," Mr Dodd said.

"So he took a photo and we looked up the registration and found out who it was and called here. She was most alarmed to discover that her car had been foamed.

"If you don't pick it up before it gets hard - it actually gets rock hard - and according to the muffler shop, it can cause your exhaust to blow, it can cause your cylinder gaskets to blow."

In his letters to the paper, "The Phantom Expander" says he is carrying out a public service.

Police say he has managed to fill the exhausts of a dozen cars.

One victim was a police officer.

"We have no idea whatsoever [who it might be]," said the officer.

"We've asked anyone if they have any ideas whatsoever to get back to us, so we'll probably get a few crank calls, but hopefully somewhere, someone will know who he is and get a hold of us."

Mr Dodd says what is interesting is that compared to other cities in New Zealand, Blenheim does not really have a boy racer problem.

"It's all in the news, obviously because of what's been going down in Christchurch, they've had huge issues there. No, we don't have that problem, we've got a couple of hoons that drive around every now and then with loud exhaust and things, but you know, no more than any other average town," he said.

"You do kind of smile wryly when you hear and think 'yeah, good on him', but at the end of the day he is breaking the law, some of the people he has targeted are not boy racers or even hoons, just regular guys that happen to have an exhaust that he feels is too big."

Offline rick ross the boss

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:42:18 am »
this was in the odd spot the other day, hilarious!!
'bags are for groceries'

[marquee]
[/marquee]
'bags are for groceries'

Offline BLKPNY

• Pegasus
  • Forum Sponsor
    • www.CustomMustangs.com.au
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 08:18:48 am »
Hope he doesn't move into my area!!
Custom Mustangs
0438 351 400 or 03 9782 8850
For Email CLICK HERE
2/14 Lakewood Blvd Carrum Downs Victoria
Signature Sponsor

Offline Brett_T

• Worked
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 09:22:36 am »
I am wondering if he managed to get to the Aussie cricket team.. because all of a sudden, they too have become silenced !!!:+;2

Offline GT350H

• Worked
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 09:34:50 am »
Originally posted by Brett_T
I am wondering if he managed to get to the Aussie cricket team.. because all of a sudden, they too have become silenced !!!:+;2

:w
AKA Emberglo-66

Offline IGALOP

• Pegasus
  • I have "CRAFT" Can't remember any F'n thing.
  • Car: 2017 GT
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 10:23:25 am »
Got a couple of BIGBORE Ricers next door to me. Every morning at 6-30 am and every afternoon we get the Boom Boom Boom from them either warming them up or cooling their turbos off when they get home.  Sick of it!!!  Expanding foam eh!   Hmmmmm.
Johnno;

Proud Vic MOCA member # 1569

I know it seems like I am in denial.........but I am absolutely not !!

Offline 6T9rustang

• Worked
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 05:13:10 pm »
He,s a c*ckhead! ....plain and simple!::

Offline GOLDSCODE

• Worked
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 06:11:02 pm »
Probably the old fart next door that always seems to mow his yard when your havin a bbq, old uncle chuckles, back in my day etc etc , could think of another place for his expanda foam!!!! you just gotta love those happy ones dont ya:+:+
                          cheers Ralph

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 03:44:55 pm »
I once had a barny with a bully type I worked with and all the poop fially hit the fan when he poured beer all over my car, I soon got even when he backed his car up to the roller door of the workshop near enough to the air operated grease gun and well .....it didn't take long before I had it up the pipe and was full tilt the grease up the tail pipe,.............It was after  a full minute when I noticed he had twin exhaust, the grease was all over the concrete, I wiped up and went on my way, it was a Friday and he could not start the car that arvo so he had to come back on Saturday and got it started by towing it down the road and............he still haddent noticed the grease which had blown out, ....well a week went by and he was telling us he was sellin his car cause the engine was a bit smokey after a long drive. ( he haddent realized it was only the grease in the exhaust)
Pitty was a Nice car too!
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 03:55:29 pm »
Gold Hev!  - did he ever find out??

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 04:36:23 pm »
Yep!
I bumped into him at the Pub about 20 years after and I gave him the good news, Im a little bigger than him nowdays and the look on his face was EXCELLENT, Im a believer in karma. What come around goes around:+
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline moe

• Top Streeter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 04:52:03 pm »
Originally posted by HEVEN67
Yep!
I bumped into him at the Pub about 20 years after and I gave him the good news, Im a little bigger than him nowdays and the look on his face was EXCELLENT, Im a believer in karma. What come around goes around:+

HAHAHA!  Nice! :f

Offline mach70

• Blue Printed
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 09:15:52 pm »
Originally posted by HEVEN67
Yep!

Note to self.....dont cross Heven :w