Re-spray

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Re-spray  (Read 20260 times)

Offline stangLover

• Blue Printed
    • http://www.eleanorforhire.com.au
Re-spray
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 12:53:17 pm »
Hi,

Anyone has heard of or can recommend Andys' Restorations in Taren Point?:

http://www.andysrestorations.com.au/

Offline soc123_au

• Blue Printed
Re-spray
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 09:47:05 pm »
Originally posted by shaunp
Originally posted by Shockwaver
Is it really that easy? I imagined there would have been all sorts of issues using a spray gun in suburban areas. If there isn't then i spose that would be the way to go. Has anyone done there own and had any problems, i heard that someone was spraying outdoor (not sure what) but ended up with a light coating of dirt all over it :s just from the wind i spose.

I've sprayed plenty of  acrylic & 2K in back yard sheds for 25 years. You can paint at home and get excelant results. I know of an FJ that won best wild custom at the Summer nats in the 80's and again after being stored for 20 years last year at the Brisbane hot rod show. It was painted  Pearl white under a house at Manly in Brisbane (Dave Johnson"s old mans place). I can speak from experieance if the Brisbane city council comes calling from a complaint as long as you are not making any money from it your cool. I've had a couple of visits over the years

I think I remember that FJ from Summernats 1 in 88, was it the one with the pink trim & the camira tailamps. Not a bad coat of paint for a backyarder. Although you can paint acrylic in a duststorm & make it look good if you are handy with a buff. A 3 layer pearl over white is a bit tougher though.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re-spray
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 06:53:32 pm »
Originally posted by soc123_au
Originally posted by Shockwaver
Is it really that easy? I imagined there would have been all sorts of issues using a spray gun in suburban areas. If there isn't then i spose that would be the way to go. Has anyone done there own and had any problems, i heard that someone was spraying outdoor (not sure what) but ended up with a light coating of dirt all over it :s just from the wind i spose.

I've sprayed plenty of  acrylic & 2K in back yard sheds for 25 years. You can paint at home and get excelant results. I know of an FJ that won best wild custom at the Summer nats in the 80's and again after being stored for 20 years last year at the Brisbane hot rod show. It was painted  Pearl white under a house at Manly in Brisbane (Dave Johnson"s old mans place). I can speak from experieance if the Brisbane city council comes calling from a complaint as long as you are not making any money from it your cool. I've had a couple of visits over the years

I think I remember that FJ from Summernats 1 in 88, was it the one with the pink trim & the camira tailamps. Not a bad coat of paint for a backyarder. Although you can paint acrylic in a duststorm & make it look good if you are handy with a buff. A 3 layer pearl over white is a bit tougher though.

The car was called Jigsaw and was featured in Street machine also after the summer nats. Had a Gemini dash, KB Laser rear lights, Camira front lights, hand made grill, Drag way indy's, Blown grey motor, with a Tri matic. White pearl. Late last year we were doing donuts in dave's paddock prior to a repaint, before the Brisbane hot rod show, where it got a prize for best custom and was 5th over all for engine bay, after 20 years!
2008 Fj national in Brisbane, Dave and I jugded paint and panel there is a picture of Jigsaw here some where.
http://www.slide.com/r/RBY_mUMi2z9H9P0fHIYKZzspoSPwEJ6k?map=2&cy=ss
http://au.boostcruising.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t369431.html

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
Re-spray
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 07:25:13 pm »
 I can speak from experieance if the Brisbane city council comes calling from a complaint as long as you are not making any money from it your cool. I've had a couple of visits over the years

Shaun the problem now is with the EPA and not the council.
I would be very careful of spraying anything in a backyard as the neighbours (mates) are the worst people in town.
I do a bit in the Asbestos field and the number of complaints are way over the top and they all come from neighbours.
Wether or not we are doing the right thing.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
Re-spray
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 08:05:05 pm »
Yeah I know, I've not had trouble at this house, but I did when I was just off Sibley Rd at Wynnum. I don't do much these days here, just my stuff. Did the bonnet off my Discovery over easter. I can use the booth at MPA paint supplies at Thornside when I want, to do colour, base/clear etc. The cars we turn over we do at a mates place on Kianawa rd at Hemant no issue there, swamp at the back and good neibours (we look after them with repairs) each side, 1300m block. In the past the council blokes just come and look and don't care if they think it's your own stuff. Never had an issue here or at Gav's place. Did an SS Commodore today at Gav's

Offline jmd1

• Blue Printed
Re-spray
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 03:25:54 pm »
 In the past the council blokes just come and look and don't care if they think it's your own stuff. Never had an issue here or at Gav's place.  

The council blokes don't know the rules and are easy to sweet talk. Unfortunately the EPA inspecters are rule book fanatics and can't make any comparison between logic and THE BOOK. If you look down you can see the knuckle scrapes on the ground as they walk away.;+:+

Offline Shockwaver

• Pony
Re-spray
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 08:08:05 pm »
Thanks for all of your advice, anyone interested in spraying a 78 targa top? haha. But seriously if there is anyone who does sprays (Private or commercial) there and is interested ide love to hear from you. I can probably get prep done with a bit of advice or if you would rather whatever. Send and email my way at g.w.alexander@live.com and we can talk cost if your keen (Y)

Offline ejmustang

• Worked
Re-spray
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 08:43:47 pm »
Hi yes davie Johnson is great but dont be in a hurry he has a few projects underway ;4

Offline Shockwaver

• Pony
Re-spray
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 08:51:35 pm »
Who sorry? I'm not familliar with everyone yet :( haha i need to save a little first. Just out of curiosity, how much are you lookin at for a sorta basic respray in red on a 1978 mustang. Ball park figures anyone?