Importing a Mustang without Engine/Running Gear

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Importing a Mustang without Engine/Running Gear  (Read 5875 times)

Offline Blown66Mustang

• Worked
« on: October 25, 2008, 12:31:40 pm »
Hey Guys,
just wondering if anyone has imported a Mustang from the US that didn't have the motor or running gear as there are some reasonably priced Texas Fastbacks for sale at moment for good solid project cars. I have all the running gear in my shed so that is not a problem, I was just thinking the difficulty involved in transferring/transporting a car that doesn't run, probably do-able but would cost quite a bit extra I would imagine? Any ideas,/experiences and suggestions would be most appreciated. Cheers;2;2

Offline blackbox

• Worked
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 08:01:28 am »
No problems at the docks, they have labour to push the vehicles into the containers, as long as it is a rolling shell. I sent mine with no battery with no problems.
I hear road transportation is expensive in the states though if you have a long way to go to get her to the docks.

James.

Offline stuie87

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:23:09 pm »
Stops them driving the cars around too on "test drives".
 It does happen and there are stories of cars being damaged while on those "test drives".

Offline jonn

• Stallion
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:27:24 pm »
They also use large forklifts to move cars around the dock area. My car suffered damage to one of the front floor support rails caused by a fork hitting it from the side.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 04:29:20 pm »
Flame, it shouldn't make any difference.  Petrol is normally drained before transport anyway..

T-code.  What you pay here is Import duty.  Not a trade tax.

Offline Spider

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 04:46:50 pm »
What you pay here at this end is a stack of add ons.  There is GST on Customs entry, Customs lodgement fee, GST on the transport and then you get into the various costs at Customs which includes steam cleaning, shipping the container from the port to customs, Quarantine fees, Quarantine processing fee, Quarantine inspection fee, Fumigation, Port charges, Container unpack, and a few more minor charges. Gees man, they get ya. That was 2 years ago.

Offline MK351

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 10:29:43 pm »
Flame,

I just brought mine in on Friday with NO RUNNING GEAR what so ever.  Regardless of what people say you will always pay GST, you don't pay a duty tax rate on the vehicle as it is over 30 years old.

My car was a rolling shell with completely rusted out floors on it and it was jam packed with parts inside.  Because there was no motor I had brand new parts put in the boot, car, and engine bay.  This was made possible because I used a good shipper.  I used steve white and his service was outstanding, available 24/7 on the mobile and always glad to help, his great with non-driveable cars.

Another thing is people love to talk about free trade agreements and you pay no tax or duty, let me tell you most of it is bullsh*t.  You are always subject to GST pretty much, it's only the duty portion which varies.  If your parts were manufactured in the states and are an original part (so used not brand new) then you MAY be subject to avoid duty.  Only very few brand new parts are not subject to duty taxes, and for them you must obtain an official manufacturers certificate stating that all parts are manufactured in the US for each individual parts.  This is called a certificate of origin and good luck getting that from retailers.

If you want the number for my shipper let me know and I'll tell him to look after you, he is the most reasonable priced one I found (cheapest actually) and tells you all the fees and charges up front so you get no surprises when the car arrives...