Business Car purchases

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Business Car purchases  (Read 5449 times)

Offline Andreas Lundin

• L Plates
Business Car purchases
« on: April 12, 2008, 12:49:01 am »
How does it work with gst when importing a car? I know there is 10% but I do not really understand what you actually are paying for? Is the gst payable for the origin county or Australia? I assume it is an Australian charge and in that case could you use this as a tax deduction if you where a business. I would appreciate any information about the topic or guidance where to turn to find out more.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
Business Car purchases
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 01:54:36 am »
I paid GST on the purchase price (AU$) once the car arrived in the country.

Evan.

Offline Red71

• Thoroughbred
Business Car purchases
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 02:33:20 am »
Originally posted by Andreas Lundin
How does it work with gst when importing a car? I know there is 10% but I do not really understand what you actually are paying for? Is the gst payable for the origin county or Australia? I assume it is an Australian charge and in that case could you use this as a tax deduction if you where a business. I would appreciate any information about the topic or guidance where to turn to find out more.

To answer your question simply, you pay 10% GST to the Australian Tax Office for any item that is entering Australia for ‘consumption’ in Australia. Very simply, there is 10% GST on the value of the car. This is worked out by adding the purchase price of the car plus the shipping costs to Australia and any insurance you might have taken out. An example is if the purchase price of the car is say AUD$10,000, shipping is AUD$3,000 and insurance is AUD$500 then the ATO values the car at $13,500. You would then pay them 10% or in this case $1,350.

As for it being tax deductible, that really depends on what sort of business you are carrying on. If it is, for example, a Wedding Hire business, then this would be a GST expense and it could possibly be offset against business income with GST. However, I would like to add that I am not an expert in taxation, this is a very simple example and you really need to talk to your accountant or taxation advisor as to what you can or cannot claim.

I hope I haven’t confused you too much

Offline Andreas Lundin

• L Plates
Business Car purchases
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 12:07:45 pm »
Thanks, It makes sense. I will have a chat to my accountant before I go any further in my search for a mustang.

Offline Qldmustang

• Stallion
Business Car purchases
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:56:56 am »
Hi Andreas,
                 As far as at the GST goes for business use there are lots of things to work out.
Is it going to be 100% business use?
Are you paying cash for the car or loan?
Do report GST on Cash or Accrul basis?
How often do you report?

These will effect how quickly you will get the GST portion back.

Cheers

Offline GT350R

• Pony
    • www.ilend.com.au
Business Car purchases
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 05:31:33 pm »
Yeh, I have just received my 66 stang from the state; I purchased my business purchased it, in a company name. I paid GST on the car and the parts and the freight etc, but I can claim it all back next time I lodge mt BAS.

All the best.

Regards Greg

Offline Brent

• Worked
Business Car purchases
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 07:48:20 pm »
Good luck during an audit (I have had 3) trying to explain a Mustang as a business expense, if its not,
Pay the GST enjoy the car & dont give the tax man an excuse to ruin you?:*
429,C6,MSD, Pertronix coil, Flowmaster, 59K, Griffin radiator, thermo fan, oil coolers. Twice USA magazine featured.

Offline Red 66

• Worked
Business Car purchases
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 08:13:44 pm »

3 AUDITS !!! I bet that must have been fun :+:+:+