Worth importing a 2005 Mustang Convert (Standard)?

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Worth importing a 2005 Mustang Convert (Standard)?  (Read 5986 times)

Offline macca

• L Plates
« on: March 26, 2006, 08:42:49 am »
Looking for a little advice here.

I'm currently living abroad in California (originally from Melbourne). I'm the proud owner of a Red 2005 Mustang Convertible, 40th Anniversary Edition. Its the standard 6 (not the GT or Cobra), pretty much base model but in great nick (see picture attached).

I brought the car as purely for the California experience :f and never considered importing it back to Oz.

Recently one of my buddies suggested I should consider converting and importing it when I move back home. By that time I will have owned the car for over 2 years, apparently this means I avoid some taxation penalties.

So what do you think?
Is it worth the expense and effort?
Any ideas of the costs involved? - I've heard anywhere from $5k-30k
Is it likely to sell for a good price in Oz?

Look forward to your comments! :a

Offline nassi

• Supercharged
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 10:25:50 am »
Nice car Macca, just had a quick skim through "unique cars" magazine and found a 2004 anniversary edition convertible, RHD V8 and 3600kms on the clock. They want $85,000.
In my opinion the prices asked in this mag are generally more than the current market value but may give you some idea.
You will find this and others on www.carpoint.com.au/uniquecars
nassi
66 Mustang covertible
01 XR8 ute (black)
01 XR8 ute (red)
56 F100

Offline jas24zzk

• Worked
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 11:42:50 pm »
G'day,
     the high price on late model stangs here in Oz is due to the fact that they must be converted and complianced.

There are two companies in Oz who have the tickets to do so.  One in Bris, and one in melbourne.

Unfortunatley i cannot recall thier names....surely someone else here can help!

Jas