Illawarra mobile mechanic/Holley service - recommendations.

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Illawarra mobile mechanic/Holley service - recommendations.  (Read 1633 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
I'm in a predicament.

My car is at my sister's place in the Illawarra (near Dapto).

It sounded quite rough warming it up and when I looked under the bonnet I noticed a fuel leak near the front bowl of the Holley (double pumper).

Not sure if it's a gasket leak at the bowl or from that arm attached to the spring/nut for throttle calibration.

I'm weighing up my options, would this be an easy fix I could do, i.e. a gasket replacement?

I just need to get to Sydney before I get a mechanic to look recondition it, I don't want to risk driving while leaking fuel (it's not a slow leak either).

My other option is to have a mobile mechanic to remove it while I get it serviced in Sydney at a couple of places I know... or can anyone recommend a mobile mechanic in the Illawarra that could do it all?

I'm back in Sydney so this will involve to and fro trips

Regards,

Stephen

Yes it's been a while since I've posted here.

Online Aussie-67

• Thoroughbred
  • Name: Tony
  • Car: 67 Mustang Coupe
Re: Illawarra mobile mechanic/Holley service - recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 09:03:53 pm »
It's a hard one to answer without knowing where the leak is.  But you can use cardboard to make a fuel bowl gasket in a pinch.  We used to use rice bubble box back in the day.  Not hard to do really

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
you can use cardboard to make a fuel bowl gasket in a pinch.  We used to use rice bubble box back in the day.  Not hard to do really

Interesting, thanks.

When I depressed the lever attached to the spring/nut, it did seem like more fuel leaked, so it could be leaking from the lever area under the bowl.

s

Online Aussie-67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2024, 10:02:19 pm »
If it's leaking from there then the diaphragm might have failed and will need to be replaced.

If it is from there I don't think I would risk a temp repair.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 10:05:04 pm by Aussie-67 »

Offline FB.65.68.70

• Stallion
Stephen,
if you car ran rough the fuel leak on the outside of the carb has nothing to do with its running rough, unless its coming from the air vents from the throat of the carb because of an issue with the float level, or a stuck float valve. In that case  it will be leaking extra fuel into the carb throat and hence running rough.
So first check the float level, if your not sure how , view this how to from holley
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=how%20to%20adjust%20holley%20float%20level&mid=D3D3BE4069BEFA25772AD3D3BE4069BEFA25772A&ajaxhist=0

If that doesnt fix it, you may need to clean or swap out the float valve and then re-adjust the float level. Im sure there is an autoparts store near where you car is, buy real replacement holley parts dont make a gasket from cardboard your just asking for a fire.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
if you car ran rough the fuel leak on the outside of the carb has nothing to do with its running rough, unless its coming from the air vents from the throat of the carb because of an issue with the float level, or a stuck float valve. In that case  it will be leaking extra fuel into the carb throat and hence running rough.

The car wouldn't idle properly it would be pulsating and conking out when it should've been warmed up and idling smooth. At higher revs it just didn't sound right.

It may be leaking from the accelerator pump diaphragm. A shame I couldn't get a good look underneath, should've got the phone out and recorded a vid.

The engine was off, battery unplugged and it was leaking for ages.

s

Offline Tang67

• Stallion
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2024, 01:44:19 pm »
Unsure if my comment will assist, but, perhaps check your insurance/NRMA coverage if you have it - some levels of coverage provide 'free' towing (flatbed) back home.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
Unsure if my comment will assist, but, perhaps check your insurance/NRMA coverage if you have it - some levels of coverage provide 'free' towing (flatbed) back home.

The last time I checked (years ago) they pay the first 28km. I have the Torana with NRMA but not the Mustang. A pity they charge you for each car rather than cars in your name.
Thankfully it's safe in my sister's garage and I didn't break down on the way back to Sydney.

I may try removing the accelerator pump diaphragm and/or bowl, seeing if the fault is visible and replacing the parts myself.

s

Online Aussie-67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2024, 07:34:11 pm »
How did you go?  All sorted?

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
How did you go?  All sorted?

I'm still in Sydney, lol.

This will be a slow process, I plan to go down there 'next' weekend.

Have watched a few youtube vids, I'll first try tightening all the bolts and screws, could just be loose components.

If it's still leaking I'll then remove the bowl and acc. pump and look for wear and replace gasket or diaphragm or both. 
It doesn't seem to be as hard as I thought. If I still have issue, I'll get a mobile mechanic to look at it.

There's also a carb place in Fairy Meadow if I have to get it towed but I'll first try the above.

Carb Service Co. in Burwood is a few suburbs away from me in Sydney if I need parts and public transport is so much more frequent in Sydney than the Illawarra.

Will keep you informed.

s

Online Aussie-67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2024, 08:34:34 pm »
Ok.  I don't think I would bother trying to tighten the screws.  Would simply replace the gasket/ diaphragm.  If you don't use the car for extended periods it's not unusual for the gaskets/ rubber to dry out or perish.  Don't forget the carb/ manifold gasket  in case you need to take the carb off. 

Offline peter9231

• Member-Society of Automotive Engineers Australasia
  • Worked
  • Name: Peter
  • Car: 66 convertible
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2024, 05:55:47 am »
Accelerator pump diaphragm is shot.
It will be pulling fuel through crack/pinhole making it run rough and also leaking.
Take the carb off flip upside down and you will see it
Its about 30mm square and held on with 4 screws
Easy to replace don't overtighten.
"If you are not prepared to be part of the solution you forfeit your right to criticise"

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
If you don't use the car for extended periods it's not unusual for the gaskets/ rubber to dry out or perish.

Cheers, yeah not to mention what's in today's fuels eating away at components.

It's not a daily driver and sits for a month/6 weeks till I swap cars then it's weekends at best.

Have had it 10 years now (time flies) and carb was on the car when I purchased, will give it an overhaul if not exchange it for a vac. sec. carb.
I believe it's a 650 (mech. sec.) sitting atop a Clevor not sure how appropriate it is for street use.

Accelerator pump diaphragm is shot.
It will be pulling fuel through crack/pinhole making it run rough and also leaking.
Take the carb off flip upside down and you will see it
Its about 30mm square and held on with 4 screws
Easy to replace don't overtighten.

Have heard, never to flip a Holley upside down, lol.
Yeah, seems like an easy fix, will see if I can get an angled screwdriver in there otherwise I'll remove the float bowl.

It's had a pulsating idle for some time, takes a while to warm up and I get the occasional backfire when cold and I give it a bit of juice.

s

Online Aussie-67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2024, 02:04:40 pm »
Yeah I struggle to use mine now days.

At the risk of staring a hot debate if the Clevor is a 351 then a 650 is ok.  Doesn't need a double pumper though as you will just be washing the bore with excess fuel.  Agree vac secondaries more efficient.  Unless you're racing, then mech secondaries is probably the way to go.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
At the risk of staring a hot debate if the Clevor is a 351 then a 650 is ok.

302 Clevor.

Not 100% if it's a 650 Holley but it's definitely a double pumper with mechanical secondaries.

s

Online Aussie-67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2024, 02:48:50 pm »
Unless it's seriously jetted down, a 650 DP is to big.  Would consider a 600 vac secondaries
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 04:24:12 pm by Aussie-67 »

Offline FB.65.68.70

• Stallion
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2024, 09:22:14 pm »
stephen,
can you give us a rundown on what your car is please.
Do you know what the specs of the cam are ?  Is it a 302w with clev heads ?
Manual or auto trans?
Seems to me if someone built a clevor then it isnt a mild cammed 302. Then a 650 should be good for it. I wouldnt touch a 600 vac sec holley in a pink fit , they are basic to say the least and silly to suggest one if you where happy with the cars running before this issue arose.
. From all the symptoms you have it sounds like your carb is pretty sick , may just need tome TLC and setup by someone who knows . Good luck with it
If you feel you really need a vac sec and you have a 650 DP already, consider a 670 VS holley or quickfuel. At least that way the cables and fuel log will fit . And they are both really adjustable carb's.

Online Aussie-67

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2024, 10:01:29 pm »
And the hot debate begins....

As suggested above would try to confirm what is fitted on there now. Hope you work it out.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
can you give us a rundown on what your car is please.
This is the advertisement when I bought it and I've changed a few things.

THIS FASTBACK STARTED OUT AS A 289 AUTO FROM SAN JOSE AND IS BELIEVED TO HAVE SPENT MOST OF IT'S LIFE ON THE WEST COAST. IT IS NOT A "GT" NOR IS IT BEING PROFFERED FOR SALE AS A "GT". HOWEVER, IT HAS NOW BEEN TRANSFORMED INTO A HIGH PERFORMANCE BUILT-FOR-THE-STREET-DRIVER WITH AN INFINITE FUN FACTOR.

ENGINE IS A PROFESSIONALLY BUILT 1969 302 WITH 351 CLEVELAND (2V) CYLINDER HEADS.
RARE B&A BOSS INTAKE. HOLLEY DOUBLE PUMPER WITH ELECTRIC CHOKE.
FORD RACING ROLLING ROCKER ARMS. MSD IGNITION. APPROX 5000 MILES.
FORD MOTORSPORTS FINNED VALVE COVERS AND IGNITION WIRES.

TOTAL CONTROL PRODUCTS STAINLESS ENGINE BAY STIFFENING KIT.
ALUMINIUM RADIATOR WITH STEEL BRAIDED COMPRESSOR LINES.

CUSTOM AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM COURTESY OF OLD AIR PRODUCTS. THIS COSTLY INSTALLATION INCLUDES ALL CUSTOM FABRICATED POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL AND HEATER TUBES. RECEIVER AND DRYER ARE CLEVERLY HIDDEN IN THE PASSENGER WHEEL WELL COMPARTMENT. SYSTEM IS RETROFITTED TO ACCEPT R134 FREON.

SUSPENSION IS ALL TOTAL CONTROL PRODUCTS INCLUDING TUBULAR CONTROL ARMS, STAINLESS TIE RODS AND RADIUS ARMS. OVERSIZE FRONT SWAY BAR. BAER 4 WHEEL POWER DISC BRAKES WITH CROSS-DRILLED ROTORS AND ADJUSTABLE PROPORTIONING VALVE. STAINLESS BRAKE LINES AND HOSES.

CAST EXHAUST MANIFOLDS FLOW INTO DUAL EXHAUST WITH 45 SERIES FLOWMASTERS.

TREMEC 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION WITH UPGRADED BELLHOUSING. CABLE OPERATED CLUTCH.

9" OPEN DIFFERENTIAL WITH 3.50:1 GEARS. MANUAL RACK AND PINION STEERING.

THOUGHTFULLY DONE BLUE AND WHITE PONY INTERIOR. INSTRUMENTATION IS STOCK "GT" WITH WOOD GRAIN BEZEL AND GLOVE BOX DOOR.

SCOTT DRAKE EIGHT THOUSAND RPM TACHOMETER AND CLOCK. ALL FUNCTIONAL. RALLY PAC IS MOUNTED TO THE COLUMN BEHIND A POLISHED WALNUT COBRA STEERING WHEEL.

More on the car here:

https://forum.mustang.org.au/index.php/topic,18004.0.html

Watching the video, the PO says, 'I think it's a 600'

65 gt350

I'll have to check the numbers on the Holley to settle what it is and go from there.

if you were happy with the car's running before this issue arose.

Yes I was pretty happy, no real complaints.

s
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 07:21:15 am by StephenSLR »