Technical & General Discussion Area > Tech Torque Pre 1973

Distributor for a 302W stroked 347

(1/3) > >>

trentsiddharta:
Hi All,

I am hoping someone can afford me some learned information about a suitable distributor for a Windsor 302 that has recently been rebuilt with a 347 stroker and steel roller cam (stage1.5).

It's in a ZC Fairlane, so my apologies if I get anyone's back-up that it's not a Mustang. The engine is the same so I was hopeful that your wider-sized group could help me.

It's currently running with the original style dizzie with the timing advanced, which is causing it to overheat. I'm assuming that I should simply use a new 351W dizzie with the gear changed to melonized or composite, to suit the cam

I'm keen to hear if anyone has been in the same situation and what your solve was.

I purchased a cheap SMB Ford distributor but the shaft size was not convention (.510") and most replacement gears are .531"

GLENN 70:
Not a 351w distributor,that’s the wrong one . This is expensive but a MSD 302w ready to run is The best one .  Just make sure it has the correct bottom gear for the roller cam .

trentsiddharta:
Thank you. I've heard that MSD are great. I think I've been led astray by my mechanic re the 351 distributor, which doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'd just need to spray it blue :)

GEOFF289:
Also not cheap but very highly regarded both for product and advice is https://www.iceignition.com/. They are made here.

Or get one of these like I have and tune it with your phone https://progressionignition.com/

jiffy:
Before you decide that the distributor is the culprit, do some more digging.

A symptom of the timing being too far advanced is pinging (a death rattle in the engine when accelerating)
A symptom of the timing being too far retarded is overheating.....

Before spending a lot on a new distributor that may - or may not - fix the problem, borrow or buy a timing light and measure the timing.

Block the vacuum advance hose to the carb. Measure at idle, 1500, 2000, 2500, 300, 3500, 4000rpm.

Let us know what you find.

Investigation is generally cheaper than throwing money at an issue and hoping for it to be a fix.

Other causes of overheating:
buggered clutch fan
fan too small / not enough blades
no shroud
small radiator
blocked radiator
head gaskets on backwards
too lean

etc etc....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page